Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The end is nigh for the G29!

Discussing the current generation Z4
Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:12 pm

From Auto Mobile Mag..

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/what ... -products/

In addition to the three-door 1 Series, 2 Series Gran Tourer, and 3 Series GT, tombstones are being chiseled for the 2 Series convertible, standard-wheelbase 7 Series, Z4 replacement (sorry, Toyota), and both two-door 8 Series variants. :tumbleweed:

The author is not chuffed.. :!:

The current breed of BMW Group cars is spoiled by grotesque overhangs, fake ducts and vents, distracting sculpting, weird angles, garish details, creases going nowhere, metaphorical slashes, and humongous grilles which cross the line from frivolity to embarrassing—just check out the XXXL lapse in taste on the X7 or the rodent-teeth caricature on the iNext. If polarization is the first step toward rejection, why is the board signing off on vehicles that look as if they were styled by someone under the influence? Sadly, this design philosophy extends to the interiors, where clear instrument graphics and intuitive ergonomics no longer feature :fuelfire:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:40 pm

G29 is one of the better looking of the current range. I wouldn't buy any of them though. :oops: What happend to those excelent understated drivers cars. :cry:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:54 pm

\\
Pbondar wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:12 pm From Auto Mobile Mag..

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/what ... -strategy-

The current breed of BMW Group cars is spoiled by grotesque overhangs, fake ducts and vents, distracting sculpting, weird angles, garish details, creases going nowhere, metaphorical slashes, and humongous grilles which cross the line from frivolity to embarrassing—just check out the XXXL lapse in taste on the X7 or the rodent-teeth caricature on the iNext. If polarization is the first step toward rejection, why is t\he board signing off on vehicles that look as if they were styled by someone under the influence? Sadly, this design philosophy extends to the interiors, where clear instrument graphics and intuitive ergonomics no longer feature :fuelfire:
Well :( i could not summarise my thoughts on the way Bmw have been heading any better if i tried , styling just gash to the max :cry:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Absolutely.

BMW have completely lost the plot, they are making a fantastic job of the most pig ugly cars with cheap interiors that rely on screens in an attempt to make them desirable, well, they don’t, it’s really not hard to see the cheapness in them and for what they ask for these vehicles it’s quite frankly a complete piss take. The true M cars have died, the new supposed M cars rely on monster engines and fake badges plastered everywhere to hide what are cooking standard cars. Couple this with a dealership attitude of “We’ve got your money by schmooozing you now f**k off, you’re now a nuisance”. Personally I’m 100% done with BMW, unless there is a 180deg turnaround in the cars and attitude to customers I’ll never darken their doors again with my hard earned.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

montymog

Post by montymog » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:59 pm

what john said :dizzy:
e85 3.0si monaco metallic extended oregon cream leather.m seats all electric with heating and extensions.m multifunction s/wheel reverse sensors.light maple wood trim m suspension ect.ect. running on eagle f1 assy 3s

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:06 pm

john-e89 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:54 pm Absolutely.

BMW have completely lost the plot, they are making a fantastic job of the most pig ugly cars with cheap interiors that rely on screens in an attempt to make them desirable, well, they don’t, it’s really not hard to see the cheapness in them and for what they ask for these vehicles it’s quite frankly a complete piss take. The true M cars have died, the new supposed M cars rely on monster engines and fake badges plastered everywhere to hide what are cooking standard cars. Couple this with a dealership attitude of “We’ve got your money by schmooozing you now f**k off, you’re now a nuisance”. Personally I’m 100% done with BMW, unless there is a 180deg turnaround in the cars and attitude to customers I’ll never darken their doors again with my hard earned.
Ive had at least one Bmw on the drive for the past 15yrs but not right now & can't see any model across the range (M2 a possible exception if i got over the boggo 2 series trim ) that i would be happy to throw my sheckles into , i look at cars on the road today & for every model Bmw has i see a rival manufacturer offering better looking for less money ( & you can no longer say we buy Bmw for the outright build quality :oops: )
They are heading for a fall big time as car sales in general have peaked at a time they have thrown out their biggest ever range .
Be interesting to see how it plays out from here
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:19 pm

so what next then ?? spose you could always buy a toyota.. :rofl: :exitright:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:21 pm

tbo i like toyota's, but again not the current crop - i had a lexus soarer when toyota made cars..
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:22 pm

road warrior wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:19 pm

so what next then ?? spose you could always buy a toyota.. :rofl: :exitright:
I could also buy a big bucket full of horse sh*t too RW..... :wink:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:03 pm

road warrior wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:19 pmE86
Just bought a new Prius as our everyday runaround. Smooth and quiet, easy to drive. It has more toys than the 330d Touring I have just sold yet cost nearly £20000 less. It has a 5 year warranty and I am currently getting 72 mpg. The predicted resale value after 3 years is 52 percent. So all in all I am really pleased with it. Still have the Z for driving fun. But I won’t be buying another BMW as our everyday car. :roll:

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:24 pm

I look on the local BMW website and see BMW X1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and wonder how can there be a market for every model? It seems way overkill.
And that X7 - what were they thinking? Is that grille designed with a specific market in mind that we just don't 'understand'?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:43 am

mr wilks wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:06 pm Ive had at least one Bmw on the drive for the past 15yrs but not right now & can't see any model across the range (M2 a possible exception if i got over the boggo 2 series trim ) that i would be happy to throw my sheckles into , i look at cars on the road today & for every model Bmw has i see a rival manufacturer offering better looking for less money ( & you can no longer say we buy Bmw for the outright build quality :oops: )
They are heading for a fall big time as car sales in general have peaked at a time they have thrown out their biggest ever range .
Be interesting to see how it plays out from here
The M2 is something I'm keeping my eye on. That'll be a future classic.

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:21 am

enzed4 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:24 pm I look on the local BMW website and see BMW X1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and wonder how can there be a market for every model? It seems way overkill.
And that X7 - what were they thinking? Is that grille designed with a specific market in mind that we just don't 'understand'?
China! Unfortunately. And that goes for more than just the X7.
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:26 am

In fact, the new range of BMWs look more like the old Chinese copies of BMWs that top gear used to laugh about.

That includes the mini too... the current mini actually looks more like the Chinese copy than an actual mini :tumbleweed:
Attachments
A9D4419B-4DF1-4588-BC90-43784E6B7AC3.png
A9D4419B-4DF1-4588-BC90-43784E6B7AC3.png (252.92 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
1C7A5CAD-67D9-4A0D-964E-298BF6D44B31.png
1C7A5CAD-67D9-4A0D-964E-298BF6D44B31.png (642.78 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

MattZCars

Post by MattZCars » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:46 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:12 pm From Auto Mobile Mag..

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/what ... -products/

In addition to the three-door 1 Series, 2 Series Gran Tourer, and 3 Series GT, tombstones are being chiseled for the 2 Series convertible, standard-wheelbase 7 Series, Z4 replacement (sorry, Toyota), and both two-door 8 Series variants. :tumbleweed:

The current breed of BMW Group cars is spoiled by grotesque overhangs, fake ducts and vents, distracting sculpting, weird angles, garish details, creases going nowhere, metaphorical slashes, and humongous grilles which cross the line from frivolity to embarrassing—just check out the XXXL lapse in taste on the X7 or the rodent-teeth caricature on the iNext. If polarization is the first step toward rejection, why is the board signing off on vehicles that look as if they were styled by someone under the influence? Sadly, this design philosophy extends to the interiors, where clear instrument graphics and intuitive ergonomics no longer feature :fuelfire:
+1 I would like an E89 but the G29 and most current BM's = massive turn in the wrong direction IMHO :thumbsdown:
2006 2.5i SE on 17" daisies without runflats! :thumbsup: already busy.... :play: :P

Assorted other sheds on wheels :driving: ....including..

Z3 2.2
+ Others I won't admit to yet... :oops: