Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Holding back on a new Z4

Discussing the current generation Z4
bonzo

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by bonzo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:56 am

I'd registered my interest in the new Z4 as soon as I could and waited eagerly to see one in the flesh in my local BMW garage. However I've not seen a single one on the road since they were available which baffled me as I expected the new Z4 to be a good seller.

I'd also priced up a few variants but now that I've seen what pre-registered Z4s are going for on the BMW used site I'm shocked as to how much I could save.

I can't remember seeing a new prestige sports car being made available with such savings so quickly so is this an admission by BMW that the new Z4 simply isn't selling?

z4pilot

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by z4pilot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:06 am

Why did you ever think it would be a good seller? Pig ugly and launched against a backdrop of financial and political turmoil, and a massive global move towards 'sustainable' transport. As a niche product competing in an ever decreasing market, it doesn't stand a chance. The last issue of CAR pitched it against the Alpine 110, Cayman and Supra - the Z4 finished a distant 4th. Your £50k is better spent elsewhere frankly.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

bonzo

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by bonzo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:16 am

Fortunately that £50k is now around £40k with some of the discounts going on :D

Your point about the current Brexit\sustainability situation doesn't stand up as I'm not seeing a noticeable drop in other new high powered expensive vehicles on the road.

Maybe it is the looks.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by Ewazix » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:38 am

The 2.0i seems to be getting decent reviews compared to the rest of the range. This example has the same engine and 8 speed auto with paddles as my Cooper S (which I rate), so should fly in a lighter car, giving it 6.6 secs to 60 so it isn't a slouch. If I was thinking of one (which I'm told I'm not :) ) I'd give it 12 months and pick up a cherished minter after what's predicted to be blood-bath depreciation on the volume 2.0i model.

As a dealer friend advised me, they don't like stocking cars that are too new because of the competition with new deals on finance, so hammer down their offer on them, this gives private buyers an opportunity.

https://www.group1auto.co.uk/bmw/used-c ... rt/gy19vzm

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/z4/10 ... 019-review
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

z4pilot

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by z4pilot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:54 am

bonzo wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:16 am
Your point about the current Brexit\sustainability situation doesn't stand up as I'm not seeing a noticeable drop in other new high powered expensive vehicles on the road.

Maybe it is the looks.
Depends how you are defining high powered expensive vehicles. Truly high powered and expensive cars such as the Ferraris, Lambo's, Porsches, McClaren, Aston etc probably won't see a drop off, as their target market won't be unduly concerned by Brexit.

Two seater cars are a vanity purchase really due to their relative impracticalty and BMW, Audi and Merc sit in the squeezed middle ground with their offerings, where it won't help if your product isn't head and shoulders above the competition or offers some other compelling reason to buy (stunning looks perhaps?).

BMW reportedly have said that there won't be another Z4 after the G29 and as I understand it, Audi are also considering canning the TT due to declining sales.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

bonzo

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by bonzo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:26 am

Audi are discontinuing the TT and plan to replace it with an electric model in a 'few years time'.

I'm beginning to wonder if getting one of the last of the TTs is a better option.

J400uk

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by J400uk » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:22 pm

I had a Mk3 TT directly before my Z4! I've been kinda enjoying how rare they are on the road. Think it was always going to be a bit of a niche seller for BMW as the old Z4s weren't massively common and it's still very early days for the G29

The used deals are very tempting but if you're taking it out on PCP the used interest rate is rubbish so you're better of buying new in that scenario.

Barefoot62

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by Barefoot62 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:54 pm

I've just purchased a new G29 2.0 m sport plus and I love it
It's nice to be seen driving something a little different /rarer than everything else
I say don't knock it until you've tried it
G29 California red 2.0 M sport plus

millview22

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by millview22 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:10 am

Barefoot62 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:54 pm I've just purchased a new G29 2.0 m sport plus and I love it
It's nice to be seen driving something a little different /rarer than everything else
I say don't knock it until you've tried it
Completely agree...
2023 BMW Z4 G29 sDrive 20i M sport in Thundernight
2020 BMW S1000 XR TE, ice grey

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by tomscott » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:30 am

I have said many times it depends what you flavour is.

This forum is made up of niche owners with niche cars. The opinions of those owners do not reflect a wide diverse market. The new Z4 is a traditional 6cyl long nose classic convertible, offering a quick comfy very GT'able daily that has two seats and looks are always subjective.

That being said the problem with BMWs range is they are all too similar and dont offer the niche experience one would expect from the ultimate driving machine. At the end of the day with the engines, where you sit and the weight the actual driving experience is very similar to a 3 series.

That being said its still too early to call it a disaster but it certainly hasn't been received well.

I still dont think it competes directly with a box/cay its in a class of its own, base price possibly but anyone buying a Porsche will spec it up and in all honesty give it a go on the build your own its so easy to knock one up to 65/70k and at that price... im not so keen.

The TT is a similar car quick in a straight line but still not an incredible drive still very golf like, Jag F type 6 cyl slower than the Z but has the X factor but no boot in the vert, 370Z..., SLK similar to the Z4 but I would rather have the Z, otherwise you have MX5/124 spyder that offer a different experience.

Against that lot on paper if your talking new, the Z4 actually offers you a lot in the price bracket. Jack of all master of none with a marmite look. I actually dont mind them and think I would probably dabble in one in 2-3 years when the M40i has lost 50% of its value.

Thats the main issue the residuals, its not a good bet at all. If you think the discounts are great then what do you think it will mean for you in 3 years... 10k in a matter of 3-4 months :|

The E89 wasnt a success either, thats not to say it was a bad car nor a poor looker because it wasn't. It just didnt follow the DNA of the E85/6 and those buyers mostly went elsewhere, the residuals arent good either. Late 35is seem to be holding ok but I think thats a short term thing.

Suffice to say the buyers of the original Z4 have long moved on and it leaves this strange gap for people who have perceived value in the Z4 name but to those niche buyers, like those on this forum its a big swing and miss.

The main problem is if you want something that tickles your fancy like the E85/6 M and you want new your looking at £60k+ for a Boxster/Cayman S. Spec it like the M40i comes with all its packs for £53k the equivalent box/cay is even more then your into GTS territory.

All well and good saying its crap etc but at the end of the day you need another 15-20k to buy something equivalent to an older style sports car. Therefore the market in my opinion is heading toward fast normal models that do all and all well. Cars like the 340/M240 etc the new 340 has rave reviews.

The question is whats the point in buying a niche car with compromise everywhere in terms of boot, seats useability etc if it drives like a 3 series. It has to be for the statement then? Well it seems 80% of people hate the way it looks so its not going to offer that either.

Said it before and say it again cars have got expensive because they are niche and lower volume but inflation has a lot to do with it too.

My Z4M was £46k new that £66k in todays money. Maybe the Box/Cay isnt far off on price.

The only issue with the new Box/Cay is that 4 cyl its probably the least well received ever since the 996. Im not sure it will hold like the older ones have. Look at 981 S late cars 15 plate with low miles good spec your talking £45k... they hold well.

You can already get 718 S models for under £40k that are newer like 16 plates and similar milage...

Strange place to be in atm. In my opinion if you want a sports car get an M, yes they are old and cost a bit to run but you wont loose any money and youll have a hell of a lot of fun in the time you own it.

Just got another 5 years after selling my old one and I forgot how good they are, they just offer a package no modern car offers.

bonzo

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by bonzo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:32 am

As it turned out I didn't hold back and have bought a 3.0 M-Sport :D

Apart from a minor issue with a key locking issue I have to say that it's excellent and much better than an Audi TT I owned a few years back.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by Nictrix » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 am

tomscott wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:30 am The new Z4 is a traditional 6cyl long nose classic convertible
Not exactly right :)
There 3 engine models to choose from and only 1 has a 6 cylinder which is a turbo as well.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by ronk » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:35 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 am
tomscott wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:30 am The new Z4 is a traditional 6cyl long nose classic convertible
Not exactly right :)
There 3 engine models to choose from and only 1 has a 6 cylinder which is a turbo as well.
That means there's only one engine to choose from? :fuelfire:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Chabu

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by Chabu » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:16 pm

z4pilot wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:06 am Why did you ever think it would be a good seller? Pig ugly and launched against a backdrop of financial and political turmoil, and a massive global move towards 'sustainable' transport. As a niche product competing in an ever decreasing market, it doesn't stand a chance. The last issue of CAR pitched it against the Alpine 110, Cayman and Supra - the Z4 finished a distant 4th. Your £50k is better spent elsewhere frankly.
I'm curious why you're on this forum? Is it simply to troll people? While beauty and desire are subjective, I happen to find it a beautiful roadster. While it's a small segment, the choices in this category are quite limited. It's a niche market but a sexy one!

Alpina 98

Holding back on a new Z4

Post by Alpina 98 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:18 pm

Chabu wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:16 pm
z4pilot wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:06 am Why did you ever think it would be a good seller? Pig ugly and launched against a backdrop of financial and political turmoil, and a massive global move towards 'sustainable' transport. As a niche product competing in an ever decreasing market, it doesn't stand a chance. The last issue of CAR pitched it against the Alpine 110, Cayman and Supra - the Z4 finished a distant 4th. Your £50k is better spent elsewhere frankly.
I'm curious why you're on this forum? Is it simply to troll people? While beauty and desire are subjective, I happen to find it a beautiful roadster. While it's a small segment, the choices in this category are quite limited. It's a niche market but a sexy one!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Personally I prefer older Z4s they don't have Darth Vader air scoops and are ready and raw. (it's only my opion)
I'm going to bed early on New Years Eve
Not wishing to toast the New Tier in.