Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Head-Up Display Problem

Discussing the current generation Z4
Jim S

Head-Up Display Problem

Post by Jim S » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:11 pm

My HUD failed 3 times in successive drives. I checked the display settings in iDrive and the box was ticked each time. I unticked it then ticked the box again but the HUD still did not work. :thumbsdown:

On the 4th occasion, the HUD was still not working but I noticed that the box in the display settings for the HUD was not ticked. Ticked it and the HUD started working again. Still OK after a few more drives. Very strange.

I wonder if any other G29 owner has experienced this problem?
Last edited by Jim S on Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Head-Up Display Problem

Post by dr_john » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:37 pm

I have the HUD on my G29 but no problems so far.

This seems to be yet another manifestation of bugs lurking in the Idrive software, along with the ones I posted earlier today in the 'stones in the brakes' thread. I expect these will be fixed in future releases, but only if BMW are made aware of them.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Head-Up Display Problem

Post by ronk » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:51 pm

I’ve just seen this one Jim.
You’ve had a pretty raw deal with the new car - I hope you are giving the dealership some serious grief - have you suggested giving them the car back?

I think your experiences to date would have dented my confidence in the car.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Jim S

Head-Up Display Problem

Post by Jim S » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:18 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:51 pm I’ve just seen this one Jim.
You’ve had a pretty raw deal with the new car - I hope you are giving the dealership some serious grief - have you suggested giving them the car back?

I think your experiences to date would have dented my confidence in the car.
Yes ronk it has dented my confidence in the car and I am extremely disappointed, mainly with BMW over their response to my M Sport brakes issue. The other problems that I have been experiencing are all software related and the car goes in to the dealer at the end of next week for a software update. Hopefully that will fix most of the other minor teething problems. :o

In spite of the fact that I have been continually giving a lot of grief to my local dealer I am still on reasonably good terms with them. Both the Sales Manager, whom I have been dealing with for over 20 years, and the Service Manager have been very supportive. Their hands seem to be tied because of the way BMW respond to customer complaints. Customers nowadays are just a number and they don't seem to care very much if a few disgruntled customers move to another brand as other new customers come in and take their place. :thumbsdown:

To answer your other question, yes I did consider giving the car back after about 2 weeks of ownership, but they were not going to refund the full cost so I decided just to keep it. :cry:

millview22

Head-Up Display Problem

Post by millview22 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:32 pm

Not great when there are problems with a new car, but for the sake of balance, mine has been perfect and fault free.
2023 BMW Z4 G29 sDrive 20i M sport in Thundernight
2020 BMW S1000 XR TE, ice grey

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Head-Up Display Problem

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:46 pm

There always seem to be teething issues for the early adopters - I know it doesn't help you but I've always tried to avoid buying any car that was built during the first year of production
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Head-Up Display Problem

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:31 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:46 pm There always seem to be teething issues for the early adopters - I know it doesn't help you but I've always tried to avoid buying any car that was built during the first year of production
Sales guy at Porsche said the same thing yesterday, I was telling him about these teething problems with the G29, he’s got a customer that’s had his new model 911 I think it was, wasn't paying enough attention, could be any new model porker... :oops: in so many times it’s cringeworthy...they’re having lots of teething problems apparently.

As you say not what Jim wants to hear though....errrrr..maybe I shouldn’t have posted this then... :roll: :violent1:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Jim S

Head-Up Display Problem

Post by Jim S » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:03 pm

I just seem to be unlucky with my G29, as previously I purchased the following newly introduced BMW models without having any teething problems at all:-

1. F07 530d Gran Turismo, fully loaded (£50k), bought in December 2009
2. F36 428i M Sport+ Gran Coupe, fully loaded (£46k), bought in July 2014
3. G30 520d M Sport+ xDrive, fully loaded (£48k), bought in March 2017

The higher the specification the greater the chance of experiencing problems, particularly electronics and software related issues.

Having said that, I do really like driving my M40i. The software teething problems I can put up with but the brakes problem is another story. However, I may just get the heat shields on the front brakes removed if the problem persists. That should solve the problem since BMW are not likely to come up with a modified design of heat shield. :headbang:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Head-Up Display Problem

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:40 am

I doubt BMW would remove the brake heat shields Jim and if done yourself I would have thought any future problems even if not down to the shields being removed then any warranty work is down the pan. I think BMW though would need to prove any issues were as a result of the shields being removed.

Sorry to hear of your problems, this is when the dealer shows their true colours and hopefully will sort issues out.

Tim.

Jim S

Head-Up Display Problem

Post by Jim S » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:58 am

My car goes into the dealer workshop next Friday for a software update that, hopefully, will fix the HUD problem and a few other fairly minor niggles. I will have a discussion with the Serice Manager, who in the past has been very helpful, about the brakes to see what he recommends. "Touch wood" - I have not had any more stones trapped in the last 300 miles. It was happening every 250 miles on average, 5 times in the first 1,270 miles to be exact. Will be keeping my fingers crossed though. :D

I would add that I now carry a scissor jack, extending wheel brace and socket plus a camping mat to lie on just in case it happens again and I don't have time to wait on the BMW Emergency Call-out Services. :thumbsdown:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Head-Up Display Problem

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:24 pm

Jim S wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:58 am My car goes into the dealer workshop next Friday for a software update that, hopefully, will fix the HUD problem and a few other fairly minor niggles. I will have a discussion with the Serice Manager, who in the past has been very helpful, about the brakes to see what he recommends. "Touch wood" - I have not had any more stones trapped in the last 300 miles. It was happening every 250 miles on average, 5 times in the first 1,270 miles to be exact. Will be keeping my fingers crossed though. :D

I would add that I now carry a scissor jack, extending wheel brace and socket plus a camping mat to lie on just in case it happens again and I don't have time to wait on the BMW Emergency Call-out Services. :thumbsdown:
On my earlier M135i I had Michelin Pilot Supersports and the amount of stones and debris being flicked up drove me round the bend as the rubber is very sticky. I decided to go with run flats on the M140i which I didn't want to do but no issue with stones. If the Zed is fitted with pilot sports then as the miles increase you should hopefully see less stones being flicked up as they scrub in.

Tim.

Jim S

Head-Up Display Problem

Post by Jim S » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:47 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:24 pm
Jim S wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:58 am My car goes into the dealer workshop next Friday for a software update that, hopefully, will fix the HUD problem and a few other fairly minor niggles. I will have a discussion with the Serice Manager, who in the past has been very helpful, about the brakes to see what he recommends. "Touch wood" - I have not had any more stones trapped in the last 300 miles. It was happening every 250 miles on average, 5 times in the first 1,270 miles to be exact. Will be keeping my fingers crossed though. :D

On my earlier M135i I had Michelin Pilot Supersports and the amount of stones and debris being flicked up drove me round the bend as the rubber is very sticky. I decided to go with run flats on the M140i which I didn't want to do but no issue with stones. If the Zed is fitted with pilot sports then as the miles increase you should hopefully see less stones being flicked up as they scrub in.

Tim.
I have posted a few times about the number of stones being thrown up by the Michelin Pilot SS tyres. You may be right in saying that as they wear down they become less prone to picking up stones. Let’s hope so. :D