Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is the Harman/Kardon Worth it in m40i ?

Discussing the current generation Z4
soam

Post by soam » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi, Im about to place the order for m40i black.
Im only adding thinking to add the harman/kardon add-on.

BMW website shows 205w is the stock system. While harman is 450w with sub woofer.

So do you recommend it ?
Has anyone tried both and found a lot of lot of difference ?

If yes, I will add that or else will skip.

Im from India and as per BMW india, if we order today, they will deliver after 5 months :( :headbang:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:16 pm

I have no direct comparison for you, but my 335d has a Harmon Kardon system and it's phenomenally good. Apparently has 16 speakers but I lost count :)
What I like best is that you don't need high volume to pick up all the details.
I'm hearing completely new backing tracks in music I've been listening to for 30+ years.

So, it's a Yes from me
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:06 pm

If you can order the Harman/Kardon sound system on its own in your country and it is reasonably priced then go for it. However, I would recommend that, if you are able, try it out first before spending the extra cash.

In the UK you need to add the Technology Pack at £1,800 to get the HK system along with Head Up Display, enhanced bluetooth/wireless charging and Parking Assistant. I have this package in my M40i and I am finding that the HK system is not as good as it was in my G30 5 Series or F36 Gran Coupe. It’s not bad but I don’t know how much of an improvement it is over the standard sound system.
Current: 2019 Z4 M40i (G29)
Previous BMW's (all new):
2017 520d MSport xDrive (G30)
2016 Z4 20i sDrive SE (E89)
2014 428i MSport Gran Coupe (F36)
2009 530d SE Gran Turismo (F07)
2007 525d SE (E60 LCI)
2005 523i SE (E60)
2002 320d SE (E46)
1982 520i (E28)

Z4monster

Post by Z4monster » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:22 am

Has anyone previously had the top hi-fi in the E89 and tried the HK system? I have to say I was disappointed with the E89 hi-fi for what it cost. I hope the HK system is better as that's what I've specced in the new car.

Fingers crossed.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:11 am

!!!!
Last edited by john-e89 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:22 am

john-e89 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:11 am
Z4monster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:22 am Has anyone previously had the top hi-fi in the E89 and tried the HK system? I have to say I was disappointed with the E89 hi-fi for what it cost. I hope the HK system is better as that's what I've specced in the new car.

Fingers crossed.
You had to ask didn’t you.... :roll: Sorry to piddle on your parade Monster but imo you’re going to be disappointed again. I’ve had the 14 speaker wireless in all 3 35is’s, and to be fair, I think they’re ok ish for the outlay, approx £750 I think it was for the option at new. However as a good system? As you’ve heard the HK in the E89 is ‘meh’ at best, it’s no better in the G29 i tried I’m afraid. Shallow bass, weak mid range, reasonable top end, in fact it sounds the same as in the E89.

This is a another reason I was disappointed with the new car, the problem being BMW don’t give you the option for anything else, in the 981 and new 718 Boxsters/caymans you get 4 options, the standard fair, sound pack plus, a Bose and Burmester. The Bose is about the same as the HK, approx £800 and sounds pretty much the same, however you can also go mad and spec the £2700 Burmester. You’ll always get folk saying that’s crazy money and you don’t need a decent system in a drop top sports car but personally I really like a good system, and at least you have the choice for those that do like one rather than ripping your brand new car’s interior out to put aftermarket stuff in, something BMW don’t even offer. Really really poor show, bloody annoying tbh. :thumbsdown:

Anyway I hope you enjoy the new car nonetheless and will say I’m wrong. :thumbsup: :driving:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:23 am

Hmm, so it seems either my expectations are lower, or more likely, the bigger interior of my 335d touring makes for a better setting, more space to lay out speakers in optimum positions, etc?
(Or possibly 30 years messing around with jet engines has just muddled my hearing :? )

I have to say that quality sound systems aren't high on my personal requirements list on my Z, so I've never dabbled with any other options. I know many people have, so tell me, are you limited by the dimensions of the cabin?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:29 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:23 am Hmm, so it seems either my expectations are lower, or more likely, the bigger interior of my 335d touring makes for a better setting, more space to lay out speakers in optimum positions, etc?
(Or possibly 30 years messing around with jet engines has just muddled my hearing :? )

I have to say that quality sound systems aren't high on my personal requirements list on my Z, so I've never dabbled with any other options. I know many people have, so tell me, are you limited by the dimensions of the cabin?
I think the cabin size has a lot to do with it yes. The HK system is ok as I said, but it’s certainly lacking depth and warmth, something the Burmester deals with especially well. It would be just nice to have the choice.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Z4monster

Post by Z4monster » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:03 pm

Oh Dear! I'll just have to drive the car harder so I can't hear the hi-fi over the exhaust noise then. :-)

It's such a shame that they build a car like the Z4 and then put a middling hi-fi in it. More so that they charge lots of money as an add-on and then it disappoints.

I suppose the hi-fi in a convertible is always going to be a challenge, whatever they do.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:00 pm

I would say must have. Got in in my Mini Club JCW and it sounds absolutely fantastic far better than any other hifi I've ever had in a car and I always get the top end because there are days where your not hooing and want to listen to some good music :thumbsup:

The DSP system in the Z4M was really poor imo, the HK in the E46 M3 was average, the logic system in the E92 M3 wasn't great either. Had Bose in 996 4s and it sounds ok but they are really boomy same with the 997.1 and 987.1. My dad has the burmester system in his 991 and it really does sound incredible but the cost was eyewatering. The newer systems are far far better its always been a failing for BMW and I think they have really improved it.

When I went to look at the M40I it had the HK, cranked it up with the roof up and down and thought it sounded almost the same was very impressed. I think the tech pack in the new M40 is a good price you get plenty with it and I would buy it if it was me.

What I liked about the new Z it does the comfy GT with all the tech you would ever need with a really well appointed cabin, with the flick of a switch is a fun weekender too. Not many pull both off. Of course all people compare it to is the Boxster and its a great car but they cost a lot more with the same spec as every piece is an optional extra and you can easily get into top 60s early 70s. The M40I is 53k with everything on the spec sheet...

A lot of it is personal preference there are loads of day 1 cars with full spec around go have a look and listen to one.

J400uk

Post by J400uk » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:40 pm

I wanted it on my Z but didn’t bother as they don’t offer HK as a stand-alone option in the UK, so it would’ve meant spending ££££ on the Tech Pack. The HiFi system seems good enough and is actually an upgrade on what a standard (non-UK) Z4 would have.

Previously I had an M135i with HK and a 2015 Audi TT with standard speakers. This sits directly in between those two for quality as expected.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:36 pm

The Tech Pack is worth it IMO for the HK and Head Up Display alone. The Parking Assistant is a bit of a gimmick but does include a reverse parking camera which is handy, but the wifi hotspot is not much use to me TBH.

Cost of the Tech Pack in UK is the same as the MSport upgrade, the latter is all cosmetic apart from addition of an uncomfortable suspension, I went for the Tech Pack! No brainer.

I don't know how much better the HK is over the standard system but I'm happy with it, it does include a graphic equaliser which is a big improvement over the standard tone controls, separate power amplifier, and a better speaker system.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

soam

Post by soam » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:54 am

Ok so I went ahead and tried, but it lacks the bass completely.
Very sad job by BMW!

It almost sounds like stock of my Audi A4.
In fact my Audi a4 2014 has better bass this the HK of this new z4.

I havent heard the stock, but looking at this shady HK setup, which says 450w over stock 205w, Im afraid, if I go for stock, it might be 0.

The only thing to hate in the new z4 is this I guess now/

In India, HK is another 1200$ add-on, so I guess I will pay it and try configuring it.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:28 pm

soam wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:54 am Ok so I went ahead and tried, but it lacks the bass completely.
Very sad job by BMW!

It almost sounds like stock of my Audi A4.
In fact my Audi a4 2014 has better bass this the HK of this new z4.

I havent heard the stock, but looking at this shady HK setup, which says 450w over stock 205w, Im afraid, if I go for stock, it might be 0.

The only thing to hate in the new z4 is this I guess now/

In India, HK is another 1200$ add-on, so I guess I will pay it and try configuring it.
Are you quoting prices in US$, if so that is very expensive for what it is :D

McKoval

Post by McKoval » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:29 pm

I've tested both hifi and h/k.
The difference was very subtle, h/k sounded a bit better, but both sound much worse than logic7 i facelifted e85.
Decided to choosa the obe without h/k as I liked the colour