Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M40i brakes - design flaw uncovered

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:37 pm

For what it's worth, I had a 4 series coupe with Msport brakes a couple of years ago and never had any problems. Probably a totally different shield design however.

I'm glad I don't have Msport brakes on my G29!
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:55 am

I'd pen a letter to your dealer and BMW head office so its on record to remind them of your concerns and the amount of times you have visited the dealer with this issue, that it looks to be down to poor design etc and state if it happens again you are not prepared to go fishing for stones trapped in the braking system each time it happens. That any resulting damage is down to them to rectify at their cost. Its crazy you having to worry over it and you are reluctant to go any distance in the car. Sounds like its not fit for purpose. Annoys me BMW are reluctant to take any action if they have had few complaints, you are not a valued customer, just a number to them :thumbsdown:

Tim.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:46 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:55 am I'd pen a letter to your dealer and BMW head office so its on record to remind them of your concerns and the amount of times you have visited the dealer with this issue, that it looks to be down to poor design etc and state if it happens again you are not prepared to go fishing for stones trapped in the braking system each time it happens. That any resulting damage is down to them to rectify at their cost. Its crazy you having to worry over it and you are reluctant to go any distance in the car. Sounds like its not fit for purpose. Annoys me BMW are reluctant to take any action if they have had few complaints, you are not a valued customer, just a number to them :thumbsdown:

Tim.
Yes Tim, I fully agree with you. I have previously written to my dealer and recorded each occurrence in emails to their Service Manager, whom I must say has been very helpful. However, his hands seem to be tied as it is BMW that need to take action to resolve the problem. Yesterday, I also sent a very strong email to Graeme Grieve, BMW UK Managing Director asking him to get involved in an attempt at having the problem properly resolved. I made it quite clear that I was not at all happy with the response received from BMW Technical and that someone of authority needs to take a closer look at the issue and come up with a proper workable solution. In the email I attached the photo that I took of the front brake assembly to highlight what seems to be causing the problem. I now await his response but if it is not positive I will need to look at taking a more legal approach :thumbsdown: :headbang:

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:05 am

Good to see that you have contacted the UK MD Jim.

Keep us informed of any developments :thumbsup:

tec243

Post by tec243 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:07 pm

hello, I'm in the Seattle area and went to test drive the m40i and was told there is a recall on them. They'll allow test drives stating they are safe to drive but won't let you buy one at this time. Didn't get a clear understanding of the issue but sounded like a computer mgmt problem. Also sounded like they may still be working to resolve the problem. Anyone else hear about this ?? ...dean
To have a keen eye, you must have at least one open.
'06 3.0si Montego Blue Roadster

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:38 pm

Has anyone heard if they are having stone trapping problems in the Toyota equivalent? Albeit a tin top!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 pm

tec243 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:07 pm hello, I'm in the Seattle area and went to test drive the m40i and was told there is a recall on them. They'll allow test drives stating they are safe to drive but won't let you buy one at this time. Didn't get a clear understanding of the issue but sounded like a computer mgmt problem. Also sounded like they may still be working to resolve the problem. Anyone else hear about this ?? ...dean
Hi Dean, I don’t think that this relates to the brakes so I would suggest that you open a new thread for this one as I’m sure other owners would love to hear about this. :thumbsup:

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:02 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:38 pm Has anyone heard if they are having stone trapping problems in the Toyota equivalent? Albeit a tin top!
Not sure about this but I have a feeling that Toyota may have used different brake components. :driving:

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:29 am

tec243 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:07 pm hello, I'm in the Seattle area and went to test drive the m40i and was told there is a recall on them. They'll allow test drives stating they are safe to drive but won't let you buy one at this time. Didn't get a clear understanding of the issue but sounded like a computer mgmt problem. Also sounded like they may still be working to resolve the problem. Anyone else hear about this ?? ...dean
I'm rather suspicious of the Idrive software, strange things keep happening like:-

1) Auto folding mirrors sometimes working, sometimes not
2) Navigation voice assistant suddenly not working
3) Lane guidance lane 'correction' function active when supposedly switched off

Little issues like these which are irritating, but makes me wonder if there are some more serious issues lurking beneath :thumbsdown:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:33 am

dr_john wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:29 am
I'm rather suspicious of the Idrive software, strange things keep happening like:-

Little issues like these which are irritating, but makes me wonder if there are some more serious issues lurking beneath :thumbsdown:
As you're in the Seattle area, it's probably only an issue with the 'Max 8' version :wink:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:49 pm

dr_john wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:29 am

These issues arnt possibly anything to do with using different keys?
Each key will remember settings that were used last and if another key is used with different settings they will be used instead.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:23 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:49 pm
These issues arnt possibly anything to do with using different keys?
Each key will remember settings that were used last and if another key is used with different settings they will be used instead.
No, that could account for it but I have only ever used one key.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:21 pm

Finally got a response to the stones in the M Sport brakes problem after writing to Graeme Grieve, BMW UK MD.

Here is what they said:-

“I’ve spoken with our technical team about the stones getting trapped, they’ve assured me this - this isn’t a design flaw and although this has been referred to BMW AG for review, they have advised they’re not looking to change the design at this stage. :thumbsdown:

While we build our cars to a high standard, we aren’t always able to accommodate for external influences such as stones and debris on the road, graveled drive ways and older country roads etc. :?

I understand how disappointed you must be, but as you can hopefully appreciate - with the amount of BMW’s on the road with the same braking system as yours, we would experience a high volume of complaints regards to this. :?

If this issue persists, the best thing I could advise would be to speak with the Centre about the heat shields, they’re in the best position to approach technical and warranty to see if it would affect your warranty and discuss the safety factors involved when removing the heat shields. They can also approach BMW UK about the costs involved if this was to go ahead.” :thumbsup:

They have also offered a goodwill gesture of a sizeable dealer credit to my account to compensate me for the great inconvenience that this issue has caused to date. :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:25 pm

!!!!
Attachments
EA2E331A-3733-4F43-8867-7C0EF69405F0.gif
EA2E331A-3733-4F43-8867-7C0EF69405F0.gif (38.33 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:06 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:25 pm!!!!
Yes John, they are wriggly worms. I will remember this experience when I set out to purchase my next (new) car as I will be voting with my feet!!!
Current: 2019 Z4 M40i (G29)
Previous BMW's (all new):
2017 520d MSport xDrive (G30)
2016 Z4 20i sDrive SE (E89)
2014 428i MSport Gran Coupe (F36)
2009 530d SE Gran Turismo (F07)
2007 525d SE (E60 LCI)
2005 523i SE (E60)
2002 320d SE (E46)
1982 520i (E28)