Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M40i brakes - design flaw uncovered

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Do it NOW Jim!!! :thumbsup:

It will catch his attention first thing tomorrow morning.

Follow it up with a phone call if you haven't heard anything back by lunchtime!
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:16 pm

There doesnt seem to be many owners on here reporting the same thing.
Maybe this isnt a common problem at all and you are just unlucky with the roads you are driving on being littered with stones.
Is it happening around the same areas?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:44 am

Nictrix wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:16 pm There doesnt seem to be many owners on here reporting the same thing.
Maybe this isnt a common problem at all and you are just unlucky with the roads you are driving on being littered with stones.
How many people have bought M140’s ?

Can’t be many

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:26 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:46 pm Or sort it yourself pretty easily & get on with your life :oops: its 6 weeks , countless dealer visits & uncountable hours of anguish .
When the penny drops that most dealerships ( of any marque) really don't give a s**t once the ££ is handed over surely for own sanity & enjoyment you would cut to the easiest solution for yourself :cry: fettle it & get on with owning it
While I can totally understand the perspective Andy (and agree to an extent lol) if I had just signed myself to a brand new £50k motor I would expect absolute perfection. The service Jim has had is appalling :cry:

I like Dr_Johns idea :thumbsup:

Also I wonder what the guards on the Supra are like? Wonder if they are just the same or if there are differences, could be an easy swap job if they are different (although Id expect not)
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:16 pm There doesnt seem to be many owners on here reporting the same thing.
Thats a good point, maybe worth doing a wee poll?

"Do you have a new Z4 M40i?" = Y/N
"Have you had stones trapped in the brake assembly?" = Y/N
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Are you just channelling Sebastian Vettel and spending too much time in the gravel ? :)

On a serious note though, having read all the suggestions to 'fettle it yourself'; I would assume you have a warranty with this car? Knowing that most dealers are like teflon-coated slalom skiers when it comes to avoiding claims, I would think they'd jump at the chance to void your warranty, even if it was for something completely unconnected. "Well sir, as you've done that, how do we know what else you may have tinkered with?"
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

millview22

Post by millview22 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:19 pm

There does not seem to a problem with the non M sport brakes...
2023 BMW Z4 G29 sDrive 20i M sport in Thundernight
2020 BMW S1000 XR TE, ice grey

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:42 pm

[quote=dr_john post_id=<a href="tel:1667259">1667259</a> time=<a href="tel:1562878219">1562878219</a> user_id=9540]
Do it NOW Jim!!! :thumbsup:

It will catch his attention first thing tomorrow morning.

Follow it up with a phone call if you haven't heard anything back by lunchtime!
[/quote]

I will write up a detailed complaint and send it to Graeme Grieve so that he has it first thing Monday morning and follow it up with a phone call later in the day.

Thanks for your advice. Let's wait and see what happens next.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:48 pm

That is part of the problem, there are very few on the roads in the UK. In fact since the new Z4 G29 was launched in March of this year I have never seen another one apart from the red sDrive 20i demonstrator that I test drove, and I only saw it once on the road being driven by another driver on a test drive.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm

millview22 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:19 pm There does not seem to a problem with the non M sport brakes...
Yes, I think the problem is only with the M Sport brakes, which has a different brake shield design.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:16 pm Maybe this isnt a common problem at all and you are just unlucky with the roads you are driving on being littered with stones.
No, mostly it happens on main roads at different locations even when it appears that there are very few stones on the road. eg yesterday I stopped at the new traffic lights on the main A78 road in Seamill heading towards Largs. When I moved off a stone got stuck in the front nearside brake. I was in a line of traffic and couldn't stop but it managed to free itself after about half a mile of screaming noise.
My theory is that the stone gets onto the inside of the wheel rim and sits there until it drops into the large opening, like an open mouth, at the top of the shield when driving slow and finds its way to the bottom and gets trapped in the small gap between the shield and disc rotor. This gap is only a few mm and the shield is bent inwards towards the brake disc and hard against the track rod end so can't be bent outwards to open up the gap. The shields are very rigid as well and it would be difficult to bend them. :headbang: :thumbsdown:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:54 pm

The other thing is that although the same braking setup may be in other models is it only an issue with the Z because you can hear it clearer with the roof down? Or do you hear it with the roof up also?
Im not saying its not a problem, just that owners of other cars with this setup may not hear it and the stones fall out on their own once they are worn down a bit.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:54 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:54 pm The other thing is that although the same braking setup may be in other models is it only an issue with the Z because you can hear it clearer with the roof down? Or do you hear it with the roof up also?
Im not saying its not a problem, just that owners of other cars with this setup may not hear it and the stones fall out on their own once they are worn down a bit.
Oh, you would hear it a hundred metres away, it is that loud. :thumbsdown:

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Post by dr_john » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:17 pm

Jim S wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:42 pm

I will write up a detailed complaint and send it to Graeme Grieve so that he has it first thing Monday morning and follow it up with a phone call later in the day.

:thumbsup:

Also read up on the Consumer Rights Act (2015), lots of guidance on Google. In my case I found it invaluable in emails and telephone conversations to quote my rights.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:44 pm

dr_john wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:17 pm
Jim S wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:42 pm

:thumbsup:

Also read up on the Consumer Rights Act (2015), lots of guidance on Google. In my case I found it invaluable in emails and telephone conversations to quote my rights.
Thanks dr_john, will read up on Consumer Rights. Detailed email finalised and ready to go but the Yahoo server seems to be down at the moment. Will keep trying to get it away. :thumbsup: :driving: