Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What Car - G29 vs Audi TT Roadster

Discussing the current generation Z4
MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat May 25, 2019 11:26 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:02 pm The Audi looks like a dung beetle...
:rofl:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:27 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:45 pm
Angelus666 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:04 pm Maybe, just maybe the TT is the better car.... :fuelfire:
This is exactly it. Everybody on here will obviously be biased towards the Z4 no matter what model and might find it difficult to comprehend that there might be a car out there thats better than it.
'Everybody' is a sweeping statement. I would ditch my Z4 tomorrow if you could find me a similarly priced and specced car I like the look of. It's just a car. :wink:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun May 26, 2019 10:59 am

enzed4 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:27 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:45 pm
Angelus666 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:04 pm Maybe, just maybe the TT is the better car.... :fuelfire:
This is exactly it. Everybody on here will obviously be biased towards the Z4 no matter what model and might find it difficult to comprehend that there might be a car out there thats better than it.
'Everybody' is a sweeping statement. I would ditch my Z4 tomorrow if you could find me a similarly priced and specced car I like the look of. It's just a car. :wink:
You are correct and some on here have ditched their Z for better cars, I should have said most. :thumbsup:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Sun May 26, 2019 1:47 pm

Shocking as well to think they are testing it / comparing against a 5 year old car.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun May 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:59 am
enzed4 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:27 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:45 pm This is exactly it. Everybody on here will obviously be biased towards the Z4 no matter what model and might find it difficult to comprehend that there might be a car out there thats better than it.
You are correct and some on here have ditched their Z for better cars, I should have said most. :thumbsup:
For me your right on the money there. With new G29 M40 money Id buy a Boxster all day long
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sun May 26, 2019 6:26 pm

enzed4 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:20 am I just read the whole review. The writer should have prefaced it with "Full disclosure, I hate BMW and convinced myself that I would also hate the Z4 before I even drove it. All I had to do was write the review to fit my biases."
I seriously wonder if the reviewer has his own Audi tucked up in his garage. Every positive found in the Z4 had to have a negative comment added, e.g. The Z4 has 2 cupholders as opposed to the TT's one (if I read it correctly). However, you can't use the cupholders in the Z4 without having the armrest up. What he didn't mention was that the Z4's armrest is specifically designed so that you can raise part of the armrest to fit the cupholders, but still have part of it down to rest your arm on. I think this is quite a clever design, but the writer didn't want to mention it.
...The other benefit is a bigger cubby beneath the centre armrest than you get in the TT, but there’s a flaw: that’s where the Z4’s cupholders are located, so you have to drive with the cubby’s lid open if you’ve stopped for a takeaway coffee..
And so on, it seems, for every point they cover when comparing the two.
I haven't even bothered to read the linked article as I don't believe much of what's written in What Car - back when I used to get a free copy almost every month and so read it cover-to-cover to occupy the time during my train commute, it was fairly obvious that What Car's reviews, especially their Car A v Car B comparative reviews, had a habit of reflecting the amount of advertising spend - doubt if much has changed...
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:17 am

PerryGunn wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:26 pm
enzed4 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:20 am I just read the whole review. The writer should have prefaced it with "Full disclosure, I hate BMW and convinced myself that I would also hate the Z4 before I even drove it. All I had to do was write the review to fit my biases."
I seriously wonder if the reviewer has his own Audi tucked up in his garage. Every positive found in the Z4 had to have a negative comment added, e.g. The Z4 has 2 cupholders as opposed to the TT's one (if I read it correctly). However, you can't use the cupholders in the Z4 without having the armrest up. What he didn't mention was that the Z4's armrest is specifically designed so that you can raise part of the armrest to fit the cupholders, but still have part of it down to rest your arm on. I think this is quite a clever design, but the writer didn't want to mention it.
...The other benefit is a bigger cubby beneath the centre armrest than you get in the TT, but there’s a flaw: that’s where the Z4’s cupholders are located, so you have to drive with the cubby’s lid open if you’ve stopped for a takeaway coffee..
And so on, it seems, for every point they cover when comparing the two.
... their Car A v Car B comparative reviews, had a habit of reflecting the amount of advertising spend - doubt if much has changed...
I hadn't thought of that, but if it wasn't simply a case of the writer's own bias, that certainly makes sense, Perry.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Quadracer

Post by Quadracer » Mon May 27, 2019 11:19 am

Interesting comments from you all. If you want an aggressive look from a TT, I race them but that's because I prefer front wheel drive on the track. As a daily drive and track days the Z4 is a better animal and I mean animal. I've owned some cars over the years and the 35is has been the most enjoyable and fun car I've ever had. It can be pushed well beyond its limit and you may have the odd moment but it remains very safe.
Gaffa tape the cup holders closed, problem solved. Shouldn't be eating and drinking in your pride of joy anyway. I've ordered a blue M40i and can't wait to get it to Donington Park :)
Audi TT
Audi TT
IMG_0594.PNG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 932 times
Z4 35is
Z4 35is
IMG_0616.JPG (139.87 KiB) Viewed 932 times
BMW Z4 35is
Aston Martin V12 Vantage S
BMW X5 M50D
BMW X6M
BMW Z4 M40i "Coming Soon"

J400uk

Post by J400uk » Wed May 29, 2019 6:27 pm

I owned a new shape TT before my Z4 and I definitely prefer the BMW. My TT was the 2.0 TFSI Sport 230PS in FWD with a Manual 'box. Nice enough car in isolation and kind of felt like a lightweight version of the Golf GTI it was based on. The interior tech was pretty cool too. But my new Z4 M40i really leaps and bounds better in every way! The drive is incredible being so much faster and more comfortable.

I guess really the TTS would be a fairer comparison to what I've got now, but I'm pretty sure I'd still prefer the Z4.