Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Z4 2.0i

Discussing the current generation Z4
Maxthedane

New Z4 2.0i

Post by Maxthedane » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Currently I’m driving a 2004 Z4 3.0l. Today I had a new Z4 2.0i for the day.

I have to say I didn’t find the new cockpit that comfortable. I ‘manspread’ when I’m in the driving seat. The massive centre console restricted my left leg and it felt uncomfortable.

The 4pot didn’t sound anywhere near as nice as my 14 year old NA 6pot.

It was pretty nippy, held the road well but as soon as I jumped back into my old 3.0l I was smiling.

The new Z4 just doesn’t feel as sporty. I had hoped to test the M40i and I’m sure that would be more fun but I really don’t think I’ll be rushing to get one. I’m going to try Boxsters when I come to change my old Z4 or perhaps I should think of a Z4M.

I was expecting to be impressed but came away pretty underwhelmed. Guess that’s what test drives are for!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New Z4 2.0i

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:39 pm

That's an interesting insight. :thumbsup:

I won't be trying one as they don't make a Coupe! But if Toyota do put a manual gearbox in their new Supra I'd love to try one of those!

Would a 3.0Si be different enought to your current car to be a possible future option? A Z4M certainly would be, or maybe an Alpina would fit the bill?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Maxthedane

New Z4 2.0i

Post by Maxthedane » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:58 pm

Mr Tidy,

I tend to prefer topless motoring with the wind on my bald head so I won’t be test driving the Supra.

I love the look of the Z4 coupe but I think I’d still come down on the side of a convertible. Z4M might interest me when I come to change. Alpina - there’s a thought...

I think I hit it lucky with my Z4 3.0i. I’d been driving an old 330i convertible & fancied two seats. I came across a 2004 Z4 silver, black hood, red leather, memory seats, upgraded stereo & just love driving it. I’d never realised a 2 seater roadster could be such fun. There’s something very analogue about it in a world of digital cars (if that makes sense). I also think I’ve been spoilt with the 3.0. Any replacement would need a bit more oomph!