Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Why does the M40i not have a DCT box?

Discussing the current generation Z4
sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:54 pm

Hey all,

I am just looking at the specs of the Z4 M40i and have noticed that BMW appears to no longer use the DCT seen in the 35is in the new Z4.
They state "All models come with BMW’s eight-speed Steptronic automatic gearbox"

Is the new "steptronic automatic" box faster than the old getrag DCT, or have they done this to cut costs?

Thanks!

SO8

Post by SO8 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:38 am

sunnydays wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:54 pm Hey all,

I am just looking at the specs of the Z4 M40i and have noticed that BMW appears to no longer use the DCT seen in the 35is in the new Z4.
They state "All models come with BMW’s eight-speed Steptronic automatic gearbox"

Is the new "steptronic automatic" box faster than the old getrag DCT, or have they done this to cut costs?

Thanks!
Having had the DCT in 2 x Z4 35iS's I can say it does not shift as quick as the DCT up the box but is loads quicker downchanging. Which would I have, which do I prefer ... the 8 speed any day of the week !!! Makes driving easier and it is as quick. Downchanges are far better.
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:29 am

SO8 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:38 am Having had the DCT in 2 x Z4 35iS's I can say it does not shift as quick as the DCT up the box but is loads quicker downchanging. Which would I have, which do I prefer ... the 8 speed any day of the week !!! Makes driving easier and it is as quick. Downchanges are far better.
Hey,

Thanks for your input, so from what you have said and reading around it seems that the ZF8 is a better daily driver gearbox where the DCT is a better performance gearbox.

For reference figures I found suggested the following in relation to shift times:
ZF-8: 150ms
DCT: 60ms

Also worth noting that the ZF-8 allegedly has additional drive terrain power loss due to the torque converter.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:38 am

sunnydays wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:29 am
Also worth noting that the ZF-8 allegedly has additional drive terrain power loss due to the torque converter.
Depends on how soon lockup occurs.
But it also contains other engineering features that lower the efficiency of the box. An automatic uses planetairy gearsets that have a lower efficiency than normal gears (because it uses smaller gears), there is a mechanical oil pump thats always running, and the zf 8speed uses stacked gears for some of its gearratios, which means twice the loss for those ratios.
However it has an extra gear.
But how the boxes are geared is maybe more interesting.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

J400uk

Post by J400uk » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:11 am

The ZF8 ‘box is exceptionally good, I had it in my M135i and loved it. Super smooth under all conditions, relaxed when cruising and fast shifting. BMW are using it very widely these days, even the new M5 now has it standard. Definitely not cost cutting!

SO8

Post by SO8 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:36 am

I love the ZF-8 ... I just find DCT/DSG boxes slow compared for multiple down changes.
Current : BMW M240i Convertible in black and a Smart Fortwo diesel in white :)
Previous : BMW 35iS in Mineral White and an Mercedes AMG A45 in black