Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 & 718 Cayman comparison review

Discussing the current generation Z4
Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:48 am

I have thought that both previous generations of Z have looked great, and still do!
A nice clean car in the right colour can still swivel heads .

This G series car though... it’s hideous, I can’t really find anything about it that I like.

The Z4M coupe is still the nicest looking Z that’s been built, how do Bmw designers not se see that?

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:05 am

Zeld4 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:31 pm
tomscott wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:37 pm Good write up. Does exactly what you expect and the fact there are stand out positives over the 718... some are glaring obvious issues like the 4 pot, really speaks volumes.

The value proposition too. They say 3k either side for a non S and S varient, really you get nothing with any Porsche and everything is an optional extra. If you fully spec a Cayman or Boxster you quickly end up in the £70ks the Z4 m40 is £53k all in with everything ticked on the list, many of the extras are far better implemented than the Porsche.

When you consider that a 718 with the definitive must have extras could easily be 65k and the Z4 is 12k or 20% cheaper with everything it makes it a relative bargain.

On the other hand BMWs depreciate much quicker but then again this generation of Porsche has probably been the most disliked since the 996 so who knows where the values will be. Safe to say the Z4 will be in the mid 20s in 2 1/2 3 years.
Still the same old drivel coming from you Scott. I remeber on a past post of mine you said that the reason there was so much back lash about the new Z4 was because people on this forum couldn’t afford it. I mean come on Tommy, are you really that retarded? Stop being so high and mighty and let others starte their opinion without you thinking for some reason you know best. So what,, you owned nice MC, but you really do go on like you know it all.

If you don’t like forum people, as you say you don’t, just bugger off. Forums are places where people can say what they like without people like you belittling people. Honestly Scotty, you need to get off your high horse and stop being so pious.

Go and get your camera out and take a picture of the new Z4 and make it look good. If you can do that then you are a good photographer.

Cheers Tommy
Sorry to upset you, certainly wasn't my aim.

Not sure where that came from but none of what you have quoted had anything to do with my post or the thread, sorry if I have offended you now or in the past. I have never singled out anyone in my time here, so not sure where that came from either.

Posts like this are the reason I spend less and less time here.

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:18 am

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone can have their own opinion and if you don't agree with it there is no need to be so offensive. Clearly the two members @Zeld4 and @tomscott have some previous history that they need to sort out between themselves and not in the view of everyone in the forum.

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:32 am

Z4M-2006 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:48 am I have thought that both previous generations of Z have looked great, and still do!
A nice clean car in the right colour can still swivel heads .

This G series car though... it’s hideous, I can’t really find anything about it that I like.

The Z4M coupe is still the nicest looking Z that’s been built, how do Bmw designers not se see that?
The Z4 Coupe is not a bad looking car but nowhere near as good looking as an E89. There you are we all wear beer goggles when it comes to the car we own! :D
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:23 pm

Jim S wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:18 am Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone can have their own opinion and if you don't agree with it there is no need to be so offensive. Clearly the two members @Zeld4 and @tomscott have some previous history that they need to sort out between themselves and not in the view of everyone in the forum.
I'm at a loss as to why tomscott keeps getting ripped at, I've gone back through a number of his posts, and as someone who has been in both the motor industry in a previous life, and someone in marketing for 4 decades I have to say that his opinions and deductive logic do not merit the abuse he seems to get..

I'm not sure if its people who have had a few drinkies then get bad tempered, can't beat the wife these days and then let rip on the BBs..?

The reality is we are but a tiny susbset of all BMW Z4 owners and I think this behaviour does not encourage others to continue to participate on this forum.

Having been personally abused here for expressing an opinion based on facts available to me, I pondered a departure from this forum.

Dry humour or misunderstood comments always exist, but abuse / personal sarcasm seems inappropriate given that the average age of the forum poster must be more than eleven?

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:02 pm

I think the attack on Tom was a bit over the top and unwarranted , you express an opinon you expect resonable debate not that sort of response.

That being said the 4 pot comment , I own a 718 gts and granted it sounds like a bag of spanners in a washing machine but to drive its totally amazing to the power of a million and I know I will get shot for this but its much better than my e89 and I have an idea that a lot of people moan about that engine without having driven one
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Tom is always getting ripped from one person or another.

Some dont like plain talking,especially when they have had a belly full.. :wink:

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:43 pm

Zeld4 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:31 pm If you don’t like forum people, as you say you don’t, just bugger off.
Any more posts like that and it'll be you who are "off". That was a completely out of order response to a harmless (and rather good, I thought) post from Tom.

Your call...
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme