Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finally seen one in person in the UK!!

Discussing the current generation Z4
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Television wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:11 pm Hi everyone! I too was thinking of buying the new Z4.When I first saw pics.I thought what a fantastic looker.I have owned the last 3 Z4's and was really considering buying the new version next year.However I have heard they are only making it with a soft top.So unless they decide to build a 'tin top' model I won't be purchasing.Why! Because many years back,in my youth,I bought a second hand Triumph Vitesse (please don't ask me my age) which needed a new cover fitting. This was done.However whilst the car was parked up someone stuck a knive in it's roof.So ever since I have kept away from soft tops.I am quite happy with my present Z4 and will probably keep it a bit longer (it's only done 6000 miles from new) Hopefully BMW may decide in the near future to make a tin top version as there is nothing better than open top driving when weather permits.PS. At the moment sat in the house,it's raining outside with a forecast for snow,but who cares. Z4 nice and dry in the garage. Roll on the summer. Martin.
There won’t be a Zed tin top Martin, BMW have shared R&D costs with Toyota with the Zed being a soft top only, and the new Supra being the tin top effectively. As the Zed has been designed as a rag top that’s how it’ll stay. At least you’ll save some dollar not buying one..... :lol: :wink:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:38 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:49 pm
Television wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:11 pm Hi everyone! I too was thinking of buying the new Z4.When I first saw pics.I thought what a fantastic looker.I have owned the last 3 Z4's and was really considering buying the new version next year.However I have heard they are only making it with a soft top.So unless they decide to build a 'tin top' model I won't be purchasing.Why! Because many years back,in my youth,I bought a second hand Triumph Vitesse (please don't ask me my age) which needed a new cover fitting. This was done.However whilst the car was parked up someone stuck a knive in it's roof.So ever since I have kept away from soft tops.I am quite happy with my present Z4 and will probably keep it a bit longer (it's only done 6000 miles from new) Hopefully BMW may decide in the near future to make a tin top version as there is nothing better than open top driving when weather permits.PS. At the moment sat in the house,it's raining outside with a forecast for snow,but who cares. Z4 nice and dry in the garage. Roll on the summer. Martin.
There won’t be a Zed tin top Martin, BMW have shared R&D costs with Toyota with the Zed being a soft top only, and the new Supra being the tin top effectively. As the Zed has been designed as a rag top that’s how it’ll stay. At least you’ll save some dollar not buying one..... :lol: :wink:
I think Martin was very unfortunate with his Triumph. I owned Morgans for going on 20 years and had no vandalism in all that time.

Yes the Supra will be the only one with a tin top. The photo below is the only one showing the car without all the heavy camouflage. It’s very difficult to get any idea how it will really look.
Attachments
8ED18BFB-740C-4A0E-9DDB-FDB5C5ADE29B.jpeg
8ED18BFB-740C-4A0E-9DDB-FDB5C5ADE29B.jpeg (168.55 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:53 pm

The Supra image of the front makes a lot more sense of the overall shared design which I now realise is quite recognisably 'Japanese', not a bad thing just not working for me as European / BMW styling platform. Something similar happened with the MX5 / Fiat Spider where the stale European bastardisation doesn't quite work and the fresh Jap' cousin looks good. I'm sure some of our auto-styling pro's can explain the styling cues and proportions at play but I've got a feeling that the Supra will carry it off better.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:54 pm

They should have put a line through it long ago & started from scratch , i'm struggling to find one angle it looks ok from other than from behind the wheel :(
Truly awful styling & badging it "M40i" is another thing that really grates on me , why not M30i or M20i for the other models ? Its the same with the "M140i" & the "M240i" do buyers really believe they own a ///M division car ? No so why call it one :(
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:59 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:36 pm
Tinker15 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:55 pm Could it be that the majority of posters on this thread didn’t get the e89 either? :?
Looking back at the the E89 forum and the comments made prior to launch (late 2008 - early 2009) make interesting reading
The E89 at least looked well from the front & rear , the bulk of the criticisms were for the bulbous rear wings which had to be so deep for the hard roof to disappear .
I cant see the new Z shifting any significant numbers unless some crazy lease deals are rolled out
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:04 pm

I think you'll be spot on Mr Wilks with both posts above. I really don't see the public going for this one IMO....if you're keen then I'd hold off ordering, as by September there will no doubt be upwards of £6k manufacturer support and 0% on these. Today it sits in a segment that is shrinking massively and in my view it's sat in no man's land....not a Boxster, not a MX5. I think it'll be a flop.

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Video from the same event here:

Will definitely not be buying it in that colour... so the only other options are red, white or black for 2.0i M Sport models. :x

I'm starting to think BMW are expecting really low sales of this car, and so far there don't seem to be (m)any online brokers offering discounts... it's not on carwow website yet.

Happy to sit it out and see how many £k's discount will be possible after it launches next year, or whether they rejig the configurator to offer 19" wheels without all the black bits and bobs (like the spec in the video).
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

J400uk

Post by J400uk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:45 pm

Z4 Beemer wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:36 pm Video from the same event here:

Will definitely not be buying it in that colour... so the only other options are red, white or black for 2.0i M Sport models. :x
Agreed! I wasn't a massive fan of the colour, only saving grace is they're not charging for metallic paint. I'm hoping my choice of Black was the right decision :D
Z4 Beemer wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:36 pmor whether they rejig the configurator to offer 19" wheels without all the black bits and bobs (like the spec in the video).
Seems to be a UK specific thing as for about 80% of options you're forced to choose a pack instead. I would've quite liked the Harman Kardon Audio upgrade, but it's only available as part of the £2k Tech pack :(

I've gone for Driving Assistant Pack which seemed good value at £900 for Adaptive Cruise, Active Lane Keeping and a couple of other bits. Also added EBT for the Wireless Charging (bit of a rip off at £350) and the obligatory service pack.

Might also want a spare wheel and wind deflector, but figured they're easy enough to pick up later on rather than been necessary from the factory.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:48 pm

Z4 Beemer wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:36 pm Video from the same event here:

I'm starting to think BMW are expecting really low sales of this car, and so far there don't seem to be (m)any online brokers offering discounts... it's not on carwow website yet.

Happy to sit it out and see how many £k's discount will be possible after it launches next year, or whether they rejig the configurator to offer 19" wheels without all the black bits and bobs (like the spec in the video).
It looks so ungainly even on 19s , i can't imagine how it will sit on 18s :cry: i doubt 20s would look out of place on this car

3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 am

£900 for adaptive cruise and lane keeping.....maybe on a 5 series, but on a sports car....how often will you really use them?

J400uk

Post by J400uk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 am £900 for adaptive cruise and lane keeping.....maybe on a 5 series, but on a sports car....how often will you really use them?
I do a lot of driving on motorways and cover 15-20k miles a year, so for me will use it a lot! But I also wanted something I can still have fun with at weekends, so this ticks all the boxes :D

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:32 pm

J400uk wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:45 pm

Seems to be a UK specific thing as for about 80% of options you're forced to choose a pack instead. I would've quite liked the Harman Kardon Audio upgrade, but it's only available as part of the £2k Tech pack :(

I've gone for Driving Assistant Pack which seemed good value at £900 for Adaptive Cruise, Active Lane Keeping and a couple of other bits. Also added EBT for the Wireless Charging (bit of a rip off at £350) and the obligatory service pack.

Might also want a spare wheel and wind deflector, but figured they're easy enough to pick up later on rather than been necessary from the factory.
In fairness, other manufacturers are doing the same thing... was playing about with the configurator on the Mercedes Benz site for the new AMG A35. If you want the 19" wheels you need to add on a pack, which includes other things, including the Halfords style spoiler at the back.

If I end up going for a Z4, I would probably add on the M Sport Plus pack to get the 19" rims and Comfort Pack specifically to get comfort access, which I'm used to. I would also add on wireless charging and enhanced bluetooth. One thing I'm definitely not doing is paying list price!
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Nice wheels and interior looks Ok if a little busy for my personal taste. Sorry but just don't like it especially now Iv'e seen one with the rag top up. No wonder they never showed one in the promo stuff with the top up. :thumbsdown:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:53 pm

J400uk wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:53 pm Couldn't quite believe my luck this morning when I discovered that BMW UK had the new Z4 display outside their office for the PistonHeads Sunday Service! I've had my M40i on order for a couple of months now but haven't yet seen one in person, so was great to finally check it out :D

Looked to be the sDrive30i M Sport in Misano Blue, but possibly not final UK-spec as it was on 19s but didn't have the full M Sport Plus package. I spent a long time fanboying over it and really liked the car. Fully lived up to all my expectations and looks fab in person. Interior is super nice too with great comfort and loads of toys. I'm now more excited than ever for mine turning up next year

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Jim S wrote:-
Just ordered a Z4 M40i in Misano Blue. Still spec changeable at the moment as it won’t be built until week 10 (March). Only seen pictures so far and I am hoping that I get to see the colour on a demo model before it is too late to change my order. What did you think of the Misano Blue when you saw it, and when is your car being built?
Current: 2019 Z4 M40i (G29)
Previous BMW's (all new):
2017 520d MSport xDrive (G30)
2016 Z4 20i sDrive SE (E89)
2014 428i MSport Gran Coupe (F36)
2009 530d SE Gran Turismo (F07)
2007 525d SE (E60 LCI)
2005 523i SE (E60)
2002 320d SE (E46)
1982 520i (E28)

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:26 pm

i think that bmw seems to be morphing into mercedes

i had a good look around the new 8 series yesterday and it could be mercedes in its blobbiness ... likewise the new x5 has gained a blobbiness similar to the merc jeeps .....

ill await judgement on the new zed until i see it mind
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP