Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finally seen one in person in the UK!!

Discussing the current generation Z4
greg81

Post by greg81 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:56 pm

I see Nissan 350/370 now on the rear. This car is a total shapeshifter

maxman

Post by maxman » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:22 pm

I know it will be in a different price range ,but for looks it can't hold a candle to a F Type jaguar.Toyota surely can do any worse. :thumbsdown:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:31 pm

Tinker15 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:53 pm
flimper wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:23 pm Can I ask how old you are OP? Because I saw it today and really disliked it, but maybe that's because it's aimed at people much younger than I am!
I don’t think it is entirely an age thing. I’m over 70 and quite like it. I’m not so sure about the new 3 Series.
Oh my, BMW seems to have gone all retro, or rather old fashioned. :?

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Tinker15 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:55 pm Could it be that the majority of posters on this thread didn’t get the e89 either? :?
Looking back at the the E89 forum and the comments made prior to launch (late 2008 - early 2009) make interesting reading

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:05 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:36 pm
Tinker15 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:55 pm Could it be that the majority of posters on this thread didn’t get the e89 either? :?
Looking back at the the E89 forum and the comments made prior to launch (late 2008 - early 2009) make interesting reading
Yes. I’ve looked back after your post. Nothing changes I guess. A typical comment was “until i can see one in person, i'll try to choke back the little bit of vomit that just came up.“ Sad really.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:42 pm

greg81 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:56 pm I see Nissan 350/370 now on the rear. This car is a total shapeshifter
Yep, it's very similar....probably no worse looking, but not much better. I wonder how many of the forum will be placing an order in 2019 for this....would make for an interesting survey.
Attachments
ge4897543153014952764.jpg
ge4897543153014952764.jpg (54.31 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:32 pm

I think it’s going to be a very very good car, perhaps not quite as sharp as the obvious, but is that really a problem? Unless you really REALLY want a pure sports car this sounds like it’s 95% of what people will want from a car of this type. Plenty of torque, a successfully adjustable chassis, lots of toys, quiet or not depending on one’s mood, and last but not least, 20K cheaper than a similar specced Boxy or F type, that’s 20K, a lot of money in anyone’s book. Totally agree the F type slaughters it in the looks department, but is it really so bad you’d order a car for another 20k just on looks alone? The new Zed really does sound like it’s a match for anything in this class and price, apart from the last few ounces of driving dynamics that Stuttgart is holding onto, but imho that’s a territory that’s not very often explored unless on track, or you’re content to easily lose your licence or teeth in a hedge. I’ve been speccing all 3 cars and apart from seat ventilation in the Jag and Porker, plus a 3k Burmester stereo or Meridian surround in the Jag, the BM has all the kit of the others.

I reckon once folk drive one they’ll change their tune a bit, we shall see. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:58 am

john-e89 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:32 pm I think it’s going to be a very very good car, perhaps not quite as sharp as the obvious, but is that really a problem? Unless you really REALLY want a pure sports car this sounds like it’s 95% of what people will want from a car of this type. Plenty of torque, a successfully adjustable chassis, lots of toys, quiet or not depending on one’s mood, and last but not least, 20K cheaper than a similar specced Boxy or F type, that’s 20K, a lot of money in anyone’s book. Totally agree the F type slaughters it in the looks department, but is it really so bad you’d order a car for another 20k just on looks alone? The new Zed really does sound like it’s a match for anything in this class and price, apart from the last few ounces of driving dynamics that Stuttgart is holding onto, but imho that’s a territory that’s not very often explored unless on track, or you’re content to easily lose your licence or teeth in a hedge. I’ve been speccing all 3 cars and apart from seat ventilation in the Jag and Porker, plus a 3k Burmester stereo or Meridian surround in the Jag, the BM has all the kit of the others.

I reckon once folk drive one they’ll change their tune a bit, we shall see. :thumbsup:
I suspect you’re right, but it’s really annoying reading the early 3 series reviews and hearing the same establishment talk more favourably about the handling of a 320d than the Z4 M40i.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Zeld4

Post by Zeld4 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:52 am

john-e89 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:32 pm I think it’s going to be a very very good car, perhaps not quite as sharp as the obvious, but is that really a problem? Unless you really REALLY want a pure sports car this sounds like it’s 95% of what people will want from a car of this type. Plenty of torque, a successfully adjustable chassis, lots of toys, quiet or not depending on one’s mood, and last but not least, 20K cheaper than a similar specced Boxy or F type, that’s 20K, a lot of money in anyone’s book. Totally agree the F type slaughters it in the looks department, but is it really so bad you’d order a car for another 20k just on looks alone? The new Zed really does sound like it’s a match for anything in this class and price, apart from the last few ounces of driving dynamics that Stuttgart is holding onto, but imho that’s a territory that’s not very often explored unless on track, or you’re content to easily lose your licence or teeth in a hedge. I’ve been speccing all 3 cars and apart from seat ventilation in the Jag and Porker, plus a 3k Burmester stereo or Meridian surround in the Jag, the BM has all the kit of the others.

I’m sure like you are that it’s gong to be a very good car, but it doesn’t look good enough for a sports car, and let’s face it, that’s what sells sorts cars. Not every one is going to want 340bho and an LSD, thmeya just want a good looking sports car to cruise around in.

Yes it undercuts the rivals on new price, but what would you rather have, a six month old F-type 380 dynamic with a few thousand miles, or a brand new ZM40i? A bit of a hypothetical question I know, but if I had 50k spare for a second car to enjoy, it would be an easy choice. Or suppose I wanted a manual gear box, not an unreasonable want for a sports car, what am I going to do then? Er, not buy a Z4. Or a sporting coupe? Er, not buy a Z4.

And why can’t BMW make 2 litre engine with more that 250 horsepower? Even Hyundia make a 2 titre with 271 bhp these days. Sorry that was a bit off topic but it gets on my tits :D

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:07 am

john-e89 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:32 pm Totally agree the F type slaughters it in the looks department, but is it really so bad you’d order a car for another 20k just on looks alone?
Yep, and lots of people would.
Just the same as people pay more for a badge.
If it was about saving money on a pretty good sporty car everybody would buy an MX5.
Apart from the engine, what does the new Z4 offer over the MX5?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:28 am

Fair points above. I guess some folk want a brand new car not 2nd hand, plus you have to take pot luck with spec 2nd hand, and as far as the Jag goes the boot is woeful and the tech is pretty dated which does matter these days, look how many folk either rip out the sat nav in E85’s or use a phone etc instead.

MX5.....bit small, probably not enough of a long distance car with a small engine but both good points. Personally I don’t dislike the new Zed, the front is a mess and it lacks rear haunches over the wheels but it’s ok, if it drives as well as I think it will that’d be enough for me but I take the point I’m in a pretty big minority.... :lol:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 am

People buy sports cars for many reasons. The reason the e89 appealed was that I could use it on local decent driving roads but it would also be a long distance GT Type car for our 800 mile journey to our summer home in France. I’m sure I could do it in an MX5 but I don’t think I would enjoy it nearly as much.

Anyway at the end of the day what members of a forum think, many who are joined at the hip to their e85/e89s, will matter little to BMW. The only thing that wii count will be how many they sell. And only time will tell!
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Hopefully it'll be like the Z4M. Simply replace wheels, tyres, suspension, top mounts, brakes, battery, bushes, roof, gear knob, engine intake, engine mounts, exhaust, seats, and strip out most of the interior, and you'll have a superb sports car. :thumbsup:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Television

Post by Television » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi everyone! I too was thinking of buying the new Z4.When I first saw pics.I thought what a fantastic looker.I have owned the last 3 Z4's and was really considering buying the new version next year.However I have heard they are only making it with a soft top.So unless they decide to build a 'tin top' model I won't be purchasing.Why! Because many years back,in my youth,I bought a second hand Triumph Vitesse (please don't ask me my age) which needed a new cover fitting. This was done.However whilst the car was parked up someone stuck a knive in it's roof.So ever since I have kept away from soft tops.I am quite happy with my present Z4 and will probably keep it a bit longer (it's only done 6000 miles from new) Hopefully BMW may decide in the near future to make a tin top version as there is nothing better than open top driving when weather permits.PS. At the moment sat in the house,it's raining outside with a forecast for snow,but who cares. Z4 nice and dry in the garage. Roll on the summer. Martin.

tee.gilding

Post by tee.gilding » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Saw it at BMW HQ back in September. Really liked the interior but can't come to terms with the exterior styling.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport (E86) : Stratus Grey : Black Oregon leather : 19" Veemann V-FS33 : BC Racing coilovers : Kumho Ecsta rubber : MTEC discs : Brembo pads : stubby aerial : ZHP gear knob

Instagram: @stratus.z4coupe