Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finally seen one in person in the UK!!

Discussing the current generation Z4
jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:26 pm

went to look at one today at in my local dealer.

honestly it's the ugliest car that BMW now sell - and that's saying something. I'd say over half of the cars BMW now make look like a total dogs dinner. Shame, would love to have wanted an M version of it but even if it came out i wouldn't be buying one.

Best looking car is probably the 8 series, they had a nice murdered out one in the showroom, £82k for 840d though - seems like a lot of money for what is essentially a 6 series facelift. The fact it was already discounted on the window sticker in the showroom suggests how well they're selling...
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:04 pm
Nanu wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:50 pm
john-e89 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:02 pm The Pic above the Agate grey with the black wheels would be my choice. Looks great.

Still cannot understand why BMW did not offer both options soft and hard top and potentially doubled their number of buyers. I thought with today's technology and the general drift towards electric, they missed a huge opportunity to make it a hybrid along the lines of the i8. Imagine that set up in a e89 or the new model. Now that would be worth opening the cheque book for.

PS Nanu is a rescued Egyptian Mau
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

J400uk

Post by J400uk » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:40 pm

jimmybell wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:26 pm Best looking car is probably the 8 series, they had a nice murdered out one in the showroom, £82k for 840d though - seems like a lot of money for what is essentially a 6 series facelift. The fact it was already discounted on the window sticker in the showroom suggests how well they're selling...
Off topic but I do not understand why people keep saying this! The new 8-series is completely unrelated to the old 6-series. It's sat on the latest CLAR platform with all the newest electronics. The only thing it has in common with the old 6-series is it's size, but it's definitely a lot more than just a facelift.

It is like saying the E85 Z4 is just a facelift of the Z3 :roll:

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:05 am

J400uk wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:40 pm
jimmybell wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:26 pm Best looking car is probably the 8 series, they had a nice murdered out one in the showroom, £82k for 840d though - seems like a lot of money for what is essentially a 6 series facelift. The fact it was already discounted on the window sticker in the showroom suggests how well they're selling...
Off topic but I do not understand why people keep saying this! The new 8-series is completely unrelated to the old 6-series. It's sat on the latest CLAR platform with all the newest electronics. The only thing it has in common with the old 6-series is it's size, but it's definitely a lot more than just a facelift.

It is like saying the E85 Z4 is just a facelift of the Z3 :roll:
I can help you understand:

They have stopped selling the 6 series as a sports GT, and started selling the 8 series as a sports GT. The 8 series is the latest design language of BMW, shares the 2+2 setup the 6 had, is similar in size/luxury/practicality/engines but hugely increased in price. I don't mean facelift as in 'tweaked headlights' - i mean - it's the new 6 series, but ££++++. No idea who's going to buy a 3l diesel 6 series replacement for >£85k. i might consider the 850i if it was <80k.
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

Chris1712

Post by Chris1712 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:44 am

Have to agree I don't think it's worthy of the 8 badge. it's still a 5 series coupe not a 7 series super coupe or super sports. On the plus side I suspect the residuals will match that of the old 6 series and they will be an absolute bargain in 3-5 years.
Pure Traction 35iS - Sold!
Carbon Black E86 3.0si Coupe - Gone but not forgotten

jarhead

Post by jarhead » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Saw the new Z4 this morning in Plumstead, South London and the very first thing noticeable is it’s width. Next is that grille, wow! Looked too much like a Kia 🙈
Black and beautiful 3ltr auto for fun
Peugeot 508 SW for daily use
Stripped out E46 330ci for track days

ThomasDE85Z4

Post by ThomasDE85Z4 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:17 pm

J400uk wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:53 pm Couldn't quite believe my luck this morning when I discovered that BMW UK had the new Z4 display outside their office for the PistonHeads Sunday Service! I've had my M40i on order for a couple of months now but haven't yet seen one in person, so was great to finally check it out :D

Looked to be the sDrive30i M Sport in Misano Blue, but possibly not final UK-spec as it was on 19s but didn't have the full M Sport Plus package. I spent a long time fanboying over it and really liked the car. Fully lived up to all my expectations and looks fab in person. Interior is super nice too with great comfort and loads of toys. I'm now more excited than ever for mine turning up next year :driving:

That blue is really nice! I made a video of the Glasgow Launch if you want to see it in red & white?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFiGHn-Q5w&t=2s
Thomas Dobie
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i & Toyota iQ
YouTube channel: CarsofGlasgow
Instagram: @CarsofGlasgow

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:10 pm

ThomasDE85Z4 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:17 pm
J400uk wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:53 pm Couldn't quite believe my luck this morning when I discovered that BMW UK had the new Z4 display outside their office for the PistonHeads Sunday Service! I've had my M40i on order for a couple of months now but haven't yet seen one in person, so was great to finally check it out :D

Looked to be the sDrive30i M Sport in Misano Blue, but possibly not final UK-spec as it was on 19s but didn't have the full M Sport Plus package. I spent a long time fanboying over it and really liked the car. Fully lived up to all my expectations and looks fab in person. Interior is super nice too with great comfort and loads of toys. I'm now more excited than ever for mine turning up next year :driving:

That blue is really nice! I made a video of the Glasgow Launch if you want to see it in red & white?
Nice video. Harry Fairbairn Irvine also had a red sDrive 20i and white M40i that I saw just before I went on holiday on 1st March. Missed the launch on 7th & 9th March as I was away. When I got back on the 13th the white M40i had been sold. Someone liked it so much that he bought it on launch day.
I have a Misano Blue M40i on order from Harry Fairbairn, Irvine. Delivery expected at the end of this month.
:driving:

ThomasDE85Z4

Post by ThomasDE85Z4 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:26 pm

Jim S wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Nice video. Harry Fairbairn Irvine also had a red sDrive 20i and white M40i that I saw just before I went on holiday on 1st March. Missed the launch on 7th & 9th March as I was away. When I got back on the 13th the white M40i had been sold. Someone liked it so much that he bought it on launch day.
I have a Misano Blue M40i on order from Harry Fairbairn, Irvine. Delivery expected at the end of this month.
Aww really that is crazy!
Wow really? I would love to see it when you get it :D
Thomas Dobie

weegeoff

Post by weegeoff » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Is there any news of a manual box yet :(

Jim S

Post by Jim S » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:24 pm

ThomasDE85Z4 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:26 pm
Jim S wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:10 pm
No problem. If you are down this way anytime after it is delivered you would be welcome.
:thumbsup: :driving:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Took a drive over the bridge today and had a look at the new Zeds. Have to say the 4.0i looks much better in the metal that in the pictures. This one was in black. Still not convinced about the grill. Couldn't take it out as the car was already sold. 8) :thumbsup:

ThomasDE85Z4

Post by ThomasDE85Z4 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Jim S wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:24 pm
ThomasDE85Z4 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:26 pm
Jim S wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:10 pm Nice video. Harry Fairbairn Irvine also had a red sDrive 20i and white M40i that I saw just before I went on holiday on 1st March. Missed the launch on 7th & 9th March as I was away. When I got back on the 13th the white M40i had been sold. Someone liked it so much that he bought it on launch day.
No problem. If you are down this way anytime after it is delivered you would be welcome.
:thumbsup: :driving:
That would be fantastic! Thank you! I will try to drop yourself a DM if that is ok ? :)
Thomas Dobie

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:27 am

Currently in Bmw garage awaiting a recall issue for my 320 so had a look at he new Z4 on show . It does look good in the flesh, just wish it was a hard top!
E89 3.0i, Deep sea blue, stubby!

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:59 am

Interesting that it's taken a switch back to fabric tops to re-ignite the love for a folding hard top. Show's how popular they are, even if they mean some compromises.

McLaren have set a really high benchmark with theirs, but even then, I was amazed to read reports of the 720S Spider feeling a little "wobbly" compared to the coupe. It shows how hard it is to get them right, but when you do it's a big win-win (like the 570S Spider).
Last edited by MrPT on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone