Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EVO Review 3 and a half stars

Discussing the current generation Z4
Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Another review in the "its ok but meh" trend that I'm seeing which is very disappointing. At this point its looking like giving it to M and having them properly produce an M car is the only way to redeem it :cry:

My view, as an enthusiast, is that my 55k could be better spent elsewhere to get me a superior car, pre-owned or not.
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:23 pm

I'm really keen to see how the supra will review by comparison. The philosophy supposedly has been to make it a pure sports car by comparason, be really interesting to see if it will be what the new Z4 could have been
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Jaw wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:23 pm I'm really keen to see how the supra will review by comparison. The philosophy supposedly has been to make it a pure sports car by comparason, be really interesting to see if it will be what the new Z4 could have been
Ditto, I was so close to reserving a supra but the reviews of the Z4 put me off :(
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Don't you think that nowadays with the amount of great cars out there that it must be very difficult for a new car to really impress a reviewer.
With the technology that's out there fitted to everyday cars theres not much left to make something leaps and bounds ahead of previous models. All that can be done is slight handling tweaks and interior tech.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Jaw wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:23 pm I'm really keen to see how the supra will review by comparison. The philosophy supposedly has been to make it a pure sports car by comparason, be really interesting to see if it will be what the new Z4 could have been
I really hope it turns out to be an awesome sports car. Even though they will have had to tone the styling down like every other manufacturer that makes a stunning concept, I think the supra will still look miles better than the Z4.
Now: Z4MC Titan Silver
Gone: E86 3.0Si Sport Titan Silver - M exhaust + bumper - Battery Relocated - Aero Front
E86 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey - Carbon Diffuser - Aero Kit - B/Box Mod - Storm MW V2
E85 2.5 Si Sport Titan Silver

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Autocar also sort of dammed it with faint praise , to much effort trying to make it all things to all people
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:33 pm

tomscott wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:05 pm Problem with the forum dynamic. BMW have left the Z4 in the dust the E89 had such poor residuals that it made no sense to buy it so most didnt. The people who did had nothing to upgrade to so have moved on to other brands. The fact there wasnt an M left many out in the cold and they lost many previous owners. Essentially 10 years of loosing a specific type of customer.
That is a really good point that I hadn't considered before. I did see Woots' M140i thread recently and it occurred to me just how few new car purchase topics there are on here vs some other forums. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, of course. The hobbyist/punching-above-your-weight culture is an honest and generous one.

I wonder if longer term reviews of the M40i will go the way of the current RS5? Not really the best at anything, but no real weaknesses either (unless you count the looks, which are subjective).
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

JT_0306

Post by JT_0306 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:53 pm Don't you think that nowadays with the amount of great cars out there that it must be very difficult for a new car to really impress a reviewer.
With the technology that's out there fitted to everyday cars theres not much left to make something leaps and bounds ahead of previous models. All that can be done is slight handling tweaks and interior tech.
In my opinion, yes and no. I get what you mean but...

The increasing standardisation across cars (including sports cars) makes it harder to differentiate if you stick to the template, but also introduces opportunities to differentiate and excite if you are willing to disrupt. I think this is an opportunity potentially missed by BMW (though I agree with tomscott's points), especially given some of the expectations I think they were setting, but it is fixable in the face lift should they feel it relevant to do so.

In more detail...

STANDARDISATION AND OPPORTUNITY
I think there is an opportunity for someone to shake up or at least make an opportunity for themselves the 'sports car' market following the continued out-pouring of what I would consider similar and distinctly lacking cars as far as 'feel' and 'thrills' are concerned. I'm referring to turbo engines, auto boxes, electric steering, too much emphasis on comfort, lots of great tech inside. The market has become stagnant as the cars have become standardised, with personality diluted by the latest tech and 'appeal to everyone' philosophies. Lots of highly competent but generally unexciting cars.

We have seen similar stories higher up the 'food chain' and opportunities being taken. Eg Porsche taking on board the reaction to the 991.1 GT3 and making a killing post 911R with the 991.2 GT3 by offering a manual and the 'touring pack' cars. The GT4 was also an award-winning revelation. Back in our world - the M2 has been well received.

AN OPPORTUNITY MISSED BY BMW
My hope with the Z4/Supra was that they would challenge this a bit under the promise of being more driver focused. The Supra is yet to be properly assessed but we are getting informed views on the Z4. My interpretation is:

It had a great starting point given it has the (relatively) great turbo 6 vs. Porsche's now infamously charisma-lacking 4 pots.
The opportunity has been partly realised by what seems to be a fairly well sorted chassis, solid interior etc. and all round 'good car'.
However, it is let down - for me at least - by three big shortcomings that I had better expectations for following BMWs promise of more driver focus and the success of the M2:
  • A lack of a manual box option: To sell to those who want it - a small but not insignificant group, and to show they are serious about it being a sports car (even to the auto-buyers) - a 'halo effect'. If they can put it in an M2/3/4 and other M Performance cars, why not here?
  • Variable-ratio steering rack: Electric was to be expected, and they have been getting better (I think Henry Catchpole recently commented that the latest 911s feel nearly as good as the old hydraulics?), but the variable-ratio racks are known for a complete lack of feel/connection to the road.
  • The questionable looks: Personally, I was excited by the concept, disappointed by the red plastic-look cars in the early showings, and now quickly warming to the matt-silver. I think there is still some promise and expect to be more impressed in person, although the size concerns me (as I recently found sitting in an R8, bigger can mean feeling less connected). However, my biggest frustrations are some of the big plastic holes that appear to have no point (especially at the rear - it looks like they are 'blanks', urgh). It's a long way from the authenticity of the Ms of old. But at least the exhausts are still somewhat real.
FIXABLE IN THE FACELIFT
I'm not an engineer or BMW accountant, but a manual box option doesn't seem too hard to do.
Likewise, an option for electric steering without the variable ratio and some more refinement could help and doesn't seem impossible.
I do think the 'DNA' underlying the design is fairly strong, if they can just fix some of the less desirable bits.
We won't get a N/A 6 engine, but BMWs turbo 6s are strong enough and better than what most competitors offer. Though getting nearer to 400bhp would be nice.
I assume an 'M' option won't happen. But it could give the whole range a lift and shift some units in its own right. It could be that the manual box and alternative steering rack are introduced in an M variant (much like the 06-08 M went back to hydraulic). Naturally an M engine would also be amazing. I would like to hope it could happen if it is easy to bring some of the M2 bits over. But it is looking unlikely.

However, this all may be a pointless exercise as far as BMW are concerned. As noted elsewhere - who are they selling to? It may be that the looks, engine(s), interior, badge and price point are more than enough to get some people into it as opposed to the more expensive Boxter and more boring (I think) SLC. But, I do think there is a market for a properly sorted sports cars at £50K, and BMW could do better with some tweaks. Of course as an MR owner I would say that!

As for me. As things stand I am getting warmer to it, but can't see myself leaving my MR for one. Maybe as I get older and prices come down it could happen. But I think I would be more likely to put the money into an R8, Vantage or similar above something like this. However, as tomscott noted - a lot of people like new!
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4MR. Eventuri Intake and Evolve remap. H&S Exhaust. Absolutely loved it, but now sold :cry:
'10 Sepang Blue R8 Spyder, Manual. Top Gear F1 Valvetronic Exhaust. Love with this one too :D

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Good post. I'd love to think the 'fixable in the facelift' stuff had even half a chance of happening but alas I just can't see it. Whatever we think, BMW obviously thought very long and very hard about what car they wanted to build here (including their own admission that they got the E89 wrong!) and this is the result. I guess only the sales figures (along with the inevitable creative PCP deals) will ultimately prove if they were right or not. It's sometimes easy to forget that most enthusiast car forum members don't think like 90% of public buyers.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

JT_0306

Post by JT_0306 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:17 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:37 pm Good post. I'd love to think the 'fixable in the facelift' stuff had even half a chance of happening but alas I just can't see it. Whatever we think, BMW obviously thought very long and very hard about what car they wanted to build here (including their own admission that they got the E89 wrong!) and this is the result. I guess only the sales figures (along with the inevitable creative PCP deals) will ultimately prove if they were right or not. It's sometimes easy to forget that most enthusiast car forum members don't think like 90% of public buyers.
Thanks. And I completely agree.

It's easy to be a critic in an armchair and must be tough for the team at BMW to create, develop and deliver their products. All decisions (box, steering, looks) must have been very carefully made by a talented team. It probably comes back to us being the unusual 10% of the market. But hey, that's what the full-fat M is for right :driving:

On the plus side, should a new Z4M never arrive, there are still some great 'step up' cars for the enthusiasts. Just hard to find without spending a fairly large amount of money :headbang:

Excited to see what the Supra can deliver. Fingers crossed for a manual option. I'm enthused by the design and could live with the steering rack being the only issue.
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4MR. Eventuri Intake and Evolve remap. H&S Exhaust. Absolutely loved it, but now sold :cry:
'10 Sepang Blue R8 Spyder, Manual. Top Gear F1 Valvetronic Exhaust. Love with this one too :D

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:59 am

tomscott wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:05 pm The fact you can buy a new one... The E89 was discontinued more than 18 months ago and the E89 was released in 2009 even the facelift didnt add too much to that now near 10 year old design.

Not everyone wants a pre-owned car.

Finding a 35IS that ticks all the boxes is really hard, many were bogo spec upsells for 2.3 owners on a 3-4 year pcp plans because the sales figures were so poor. Even with discounts they were expensive enough that the the engine superseded the other specifications. Higher end specs are hard to find. Those cars that exist and have low milage are more than a Z4M coupe. The Z4 is a niche product and the majority of people looking to spend that money on a pre owned would be better served from a financial point of view from and M which are basically similar money but have surpassed their lowest residual point. There is only one direction for more expensive E89s and thats down.
Thanks Tom for the most reasoned response I have seen on this subject. It seems to me that some on this thread (and one in particular) have been determined to dislike the G29 come hell or high water. This presumably without ever seeing the car in the flesh never mind driving it. Deciding if a car is good or bad by reading the reviews of others seems a very poor way of making a decision.

I have read that most reviews for the e89 were poor but it doesn’t take long to find some that are not. This one https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/bmw/bmw-z4-review/ in the Telegraph is rather good. People buy sports cars for many reasons and I’ve enjoyed owning one for around 30 years. My last two were a TVR Chimaera 450 and a Morgan Plus 8. The e89 I have only owned a few weeks but I am enjoying the experience immensely. It is of course very different to my previous cars but no worse for that.

I’m sure BMW know their intended market and that the car will sell well for them despite the views of a few folk on a forum!
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Tinker15 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:59 am It seems to me that some on this thread (and one in particular) have been determined to dislike the G29 come hell or high water.
Really? Just read back through all the posts and think all the comments seem pretty impartial imho.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.