Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Z4....Shock....Horror...!!

Discussing the current generation Z4
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:13 pm

mmm-five wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:11 am
john-e89 wrote: You need more than 340 Buzy lad....?? :?
I just find it strange that the ‘pinnacle’ of every other model (e.g. M3 goes from 340 to 400 to 425) gets a power increase with every iteration, yet the Z3 has stayed at 340bhp through the e85/86 & e89 iterations.

It’s now called a 40i, but only has the same engine power as the older 35is.

Maybe they’re waiting for the gullible lot to buy the ‘launch edition’ models before bringing out the ‘good’ one - something like a 40is Competition Pack with 380bhp?
Your post is THE perfect reply to what I’m saying, wait until you, ie, all of us, drive it before throwing it into the skip on looks or outright grunt. The whole idea of this car is to get as close to a Boxster as possible, not outright power. It’s heavier than the Boxster but has more power and torque to compensate just as the last 35is had, but whereas the 35is wasn’t in direct competition, and showed in its chassis, this new car, as far as we know, will be and has been developed with that in mind. It’s very very hard to use the power available in a 35is, the chassis just can’t cope with it, but the new car may well be able to going on the track review, it’s design and quite easily at that.

The old saying springs so much to mind here, power is nothing without control, and personally I think this new car will easily be the best handling Zed ever made and will make buying a Boxster or F type over it very very hard indeed. As Tomscott says give it time, I reckon this will be a game changer. :driving:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:27 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:13 pm
I just find it strange that the ‘pinnacle’ of every other model (e.g. M3 goes from 340 to 400 to 425) gets a power increase with every iteration, yet the Z3 has stayed at 340bhp through the e85/86 & e89 iterations.

Maybe they’re waiting for the gullible lot to buy the ‘launch edition’ models before bringing out the ‘good’ one - something like a 40is Competition Pack with 380bhp?
Your post is THE perfect reply to what I’m saying, wait until you, ie, all of us, drive it before throwing it into the skip on looks or outright grunt. The whole idea of this car is to get as close to a Boxster as possible, not outright power. It’s heavier than the Boxster but has more power and torque to compensate just as the last 35is had, but whereas the 35is wasn’t in direct competition, and showed in its chassis, this new car, as far as we know, will be and has been developed with that in mind. It’s very very hard to use the power available in a 35is, the chassis just can’t cope with it, but the new car may well be able to going on the track review, it’s design and quite easily at that.

The old saying springs so much to mind here, power is nothing without control, and personally I think this new car will easily be the best handling Zed ever made and will make buying a Boxster or F type over it very very hard indeed. As Tomscott says give it time, I reckon this will be a game changer. :driving:
I'm expecting a request in the near future to change your username to john-g29 :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:27 pm

Realistically it should be the best handling Z ever made, its got quite a few years tech over any of the older models.
Like if it handles worse than a Z4m with a 12 year old design they have made a massive mistake somewhere.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

TONYMOR

Post by TONYMOR » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:03 pm

I can't imagine why a manual version isn't going to be available as I prefer a choice?

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:04 pm

How much work to get it looking like this??
Attachments
IMG_5625.JPG
IMG_5625.JPG (184.26 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
A Dirty M///

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:08 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:13 pm

+1

Its easy to jump on the neg bandwagon.

Nobody here has driven it and very few have seen it in person. We have all been waiting and waiting for a new car from BMW which is probably one of the reasons people are upset. On the UK car creator £53k will get you the top end and every spec on the sheet. At the end of the day the 53k region is the cheap end of the performance market. This is the top model at launch and it seems to tick a hell of a lot of boxes for that money.

Dont get me wrong 50K is a lot of money but in the market vs the competition I think BMW have been very clever with its positioning.

People can bang on about competing with boxsters and caymans, the Z will never be mid engined so is at disadvantage from the start. Ive driven my fair share and owned one and I do like them but they are so good that they can be quite boring. Going from the Z4M to the 987 boxster S was pretty disappointing. The BMWs have always made you feel like if you push too hard it could put you through a hedge whereas the Box/Cay wont put a foot wrong.

The Box/Cay S variants start at 48k and you can spec them well into £70k. Now that is a hell of a lot of money for an 'entry level' car in my book especially one with a 4 cylinder that sounds like a 90s impreza. In terms of spec and tech level the Z4 will be roughly £17k cheaper, even if it gets 75-80% close its a great buy in my book, but I have a feeling it will do better than that.

You could buy this new Z and a really good Z4M roadster for the same money. Obviously im only talking new car sales not buying 2-3 year old car because some will buy new some pre owned.

Im not expecting it to be a Boxster S beater. The Standard boxster is in the same price category, the S competes at the M level and always has. BMW have made an M variants of near enough everything in recent years, if they make X5Ms then surely the only sportscar in the lineup must have some sort appeal to the M division. The fact we are at M40i to begin with leaves room for an IS or M. I know BMW have said there wont be an M version... There's no reason not to. Something similar to the M2 CS with the M3/4 engine and some uprated discs, suspension and chassis improvements.

Similarly the F type, lovely car and so good looking. Preowned yes but from new again your looking at another 20k its not a fair comparison. Pretty much ruled out for me as I like to go on euro trips and the boot in the roadster couldn't fit enough luggage for 2 with the roof down.

I have mentioned it before but funny how demographics deal with change. Ive found it amusing going back and reading the posts from 2009 when the E89 was released too.

I dont know why everyone is so down in the mouth I feel pretty optimistic and looking forward to a test drive.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:35 pm

Having a fugly looking car with good performance & handling is a bit like when men categorise women who ‘aren’t lookers but supposedly have a super personality’.

Nice to chat about but not permanent home material... & yes I know it’s superficial & sexist, but true.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Jembo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:35 pm Having a fugly looking car with good performance & handling is a bit like when men categorise women who ‘aren’t lookers but supposedly have a super personality’.

Nice to chat about but not permanent home material... & yes I know it’s superficial & sexist, but true.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Personally I can see both sides of this discussion, I agree that until we actually see the bloody thing we dont really know, personally there have been multiple cars that I thought looked grim until I actually saw one in the flesh.... E85 being one of them.

At the same time, £54k is a lot to pay for a car that you dont like looking at.

I have no intention of buying the new Zed from new but when Toyota emailed me yesterday to reserve a Supra my card details were in and mouse hovering over the submit button before I knew it :o
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 pm

[quote=Flyingfifer post_

I have no intention of buying the new Zed from new but when Toyota emailed me yesterday to reserve a Supra my card details were in and mouse hovering over the submit button before I knew it :o
[/quote]

!!!!
Attachments
E4BC9CA8-032E-4BDE-AA5D-9D82B7E3D046.jpeg
E4BC9CA8-032E-4BDE-AA5D-9D82B7E3D046.jpeg (70.96 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:53 pm

:popcorn:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:14 pm

I've always been much more interested in how a car drives than it's looks - which probably explains why I've had 2 BMW E46 Compacts and a 1 Series! :rofl:

Thankfully my E86 just happens to look as good as it drives!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Driving well is very important especially when your forking out circa £50K on a sports car.
But honestly when you look out of your window and see it on the drive, or return to the car park and walk up to it, if you don't think God that looks great and it's mine, every time, then I wouldn't touch it no matter how well it drives.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:54 am
mmm-five wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:11 am I just find it strange that the ‘pinnacle’ of every other model (e.g. M3 goes from 340 to 400 to 425) gets a power increase with every iteration, yet the Z3 has stayed at 340bhp through the e85/86 & e89 iterations.

Blame the EU - in the US it'll have 380+hp but the new EU emissions regs mean that it needs a particulate filter which restricts the EU-compliant version to approx. 340hp
First and thing I have read anywhere, that makes me think something good may come of Brexit. :wink:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:47 pm

Who's to say that the UK wont implement even strickter rules?
Dont you know that the first e85 had an extra catalytic converter compared to the mainland models (they have a straight mid muffler there)? That cost also a little bit of power.

But I do think the new z4 (the m40i model) is too low on power, compared to the competition. the boxster S has 350bhp (but I expect its more in real life, having raced some on the autobahn), and an audi ttrs has 400bhp. If you look back at when the z4m was introduced (or the z3m) and what the competition back then could offer, it was completely the other way round. BMW's had a MASSIVE power advantage back then. Thats all gone now.....

As far as looks go I saw the new z4 back in the flesh 1,5 weeks ago on a sneak preview at BMW HQ. I thought it was a good looking car but hardly a surprising car from a design pov. Styling of the seats was very good though.

In this 'off'white it was a bit 'meh'
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:31 pm

GuidoK wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:47 pm Who's to say that the UK wont implement even strickter rules?
Dont you know that the first e85 had an extra catalytic converter compared to the mainland models (they have a straight mid muffler there)? That cost also a little bit of power.

But I do think the new z4 (the m40i model) is too low on power, compared to the competition. the boxster S has 350bhp (but I expect its more in real life, having raced some on the autobahn), and an audi ttrs has 400bhp. If you look back at when the z4m was introduced (or the z3m) and what the competition back then could offer, it was completely the other way round. BMW's had a MASSIVE power advantage back then. Thats all gone now.....

As far as looks go I saw the new z4 back in the flesh 1,5 weeks ago on a sneak preview at BMW HQ. I thought it was a good looking car but hardly a surprising car from a design pov. Styling of the seats was very good though.

In this 'off'white it was a bit 'meh'
I saw a white one on the road last weekend and it looked pretty good, although it was dark.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981