Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starting price for the M40i...

Discussing the current generation Z4
Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:57 pm

You can get a 2011 V10 R8 spider for the same money....utterly bonkers price for a very average looking car. Personally at that money I think it'll be a depreciation nightmare...will be £30k within 18 months.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Most important question is, does it come with cup holders as standard ?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 pm

Bing wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:02 pm Most important question is, does it come with cup holders as standard ?
For that much money I’d expect a bmw supplied passenger to hold my cups :lol:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 pm
Bing wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:02 pm Most important question is, does it come with cup holders as standard ?
Sod the drinks, I'd prefer a shapely passenger with nicely filled 'D' cups... :evil:
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:38 am

Angelus666 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:57 pm You can get a 2011 V10 R8 spider for the same money....utterly bonkers price for a very average looking car. Personally at that money I think it'll be a depreciation nightmare...will be £30k within 18 months.
Indeed utterly bonkers :cry: you would have to have total sensual removal to consider this with your own cash.
Just like the M235i & M140i it won't have genuine the ///M division pedigree or bespoke engineering so in my mind its a Msport40i .
Im not one for leasing but if you had to have one ( the Msport40i Z ) throwing £500 a month at one then handing back after 2 years actually seems like a good venture :D
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:30 am

Don't see how its different to any other BMW... hardly an outrage. Spec a top end 3/4 series... a 440i starts a at £46k easily 53k with options. Same with depreciation curves M3/M4s there are loads under 30k now 4 years later.

With PCP being sold as paying the depreciation and handing the car back. Get a brand new car, spec it up exactly how you want, no service to pay for 3 years and hand it back for another... most people wont even bat an eyelid. Then the market ends up being full of PCP cars every 3-5 years like the mass drop of the M135 3 years later.

Been like this for a long with BMW.

In most cases its cheaper to buy a new car over the 3 years than PCP a preowned or pre reg car because the APR almost triples. Under 3 for new, Under 5 for pre reg and Under 10 for pre owned. Its often cheaper to order a new car over 3 years at 3% than it is to buy the same 12 month old car preowned on similar plans. It also depends on what finance you took on your current car, many people get stuck in the 3-5 year plans. So many factors and really I dont think its a big deal even at 55k these will be affordable to a lot of people. To the people that cant this wont even be on their radar.

Regardless of your feelings toward how you purchase a car (and I dont intend to start and argument about that) it is a fact that this is how most people buy cars. All finance, there is no benefit or movement to pay cash, more movement on car costs with finance. Even top end supercars are never ever bought with cash, just doesnt make sence. Most money savvy people will finance and invest that money in another venture to make that money work harder etc etc

As for what ever other 7-8 year old car you can buy... fair enough but the cost to run will still cost you like a £100k car like the R8 example. Most people will be able to afford the payments but will it get looked after properly. The maintenance cost over 3 years for the Z will be 0 with a service pack and warranty for 3 years which is the draw for some. Most people will allocate £3-600 per month regardless.

You know as a consumer a new car isnt an investment. If you want an investment its not going to be a daily. Not saying it makes sense to loose 20k over 3 years but its the norm on a car like this. But if you PCP are you loosing 20k? or does it mean that other 30k you would pay upfront can be spent on something else or invested to help offset the cost of having the latest and greatest. Different argument.

£55k is a lot of money but in the market its not really. The Boxster S 718 starts at 53k with no spec at all, great car but its lost its soul with that 4 pot impreza sounding boxer engine. At least the Z4 has a potent 6 cyl still, that may be the main positive of the Z4. Porsche has made a mistake with that 718 although the decision is forced it has opened the market up. BMW might have been quite clever here.

Add a few normal options that the BMW comes with and that boxster can hit 70k. In all honesty with similar tech to the Z4 the Boxster S is more like £75k... that is mental.

So really I dont think £55k sounds a lot. Anyone who is interested in buying a new car, not a pre owned, 10 year old, bottom of the depreciation curve I think it wont look unattractive. People have got very used to Z4s being cheap the E89 was so hard to shift and the E85/6 until recent years has also been the dirt cheap M car.

You cant get away from the fact they are one of the cheaper cars in the category yet offers the higher end of the scale in terms of power, tech and interior quality. Still a BMW and an aspiration purchase.

I think it is appealing, what I do wonder is where the buyers will come from. The Z4 has been absent from the market for a long time and most people who buy new cars will have moved on a while ago and wont be upgrading their Z. Because there is no M option its a struggle to temp them back if they have headed up the ladder. The Boxster S and Cayman S were always M competitors not 35IS or M40i etc

This is the issue with the fake Ms, they dont come with the best bits like the Ms used to like diffs, better suspension etc What porsche always does well is that the base cars always drive super well and the other options are generally marketing. With BMWs they dont compete as well. Great on the road but get them into the twisties and they just arent as good. As we all know with some simple mods the all Z4s can be weapons but the fact is most new buyers wont and they just want something great out the box. unfortunately its alwasy the sticking point in reviews, the E85/6 M and the 35IS were slated for not being good when pushing on and that was the sticking point and why they sold so few.

People who didnt like the 718 but were looking for a sports car probably bought a 981 Boxster or Cayman S. Similarly the merc hasnt been overly exciting for years but the new kids on the block like the Alpine may have tempted a few away die hards away. Similar with lotus but I dont think their cars compete here they are too stripped out to offer similar experience. The F type is gorgeous but again speccing a new one up is way over 55k. The TT was never a sportscar but is a better daily with 2+2 but the newer generation S and R are pretty incredible.

What exactly are the competing cars... probably BMWs... last few people who PCPd the end of the E89 line which I would say is almost nobody as they were not a good proposition and expensive, even discounted. M140, M240 lots of those will be up on PCP plans. M3/M4 people who like BMWs but didnt have a 2 seater option probably upgraded to that but I cant see people downgrading to a pretend M only for the roadster experience and will look further up the line.

New Competitors

Cayman, Boxster, F-type, SL AMGs all are about 10-20k more

TT, M2, Alpine, 4C, Mustang similar money

New hot hatches? M1/240, S3, Focus RS, Golf R, AMG A45 quite a large difference in price.

Possible PCP cycles of cars? M3/M4, C63 a downgrade from a full fat M/AMG

Then there is aspiration upgrades from: Mx5, Fiat 124 spider, BRZ, GT86 etc

If you look at the market objectively BMW might have been quite clever in the positioning with the 6 cyl twin which has been a smash hit in every car they have put it in. The roadster market is probably the most depressing it has ever been full of 4 pot petrol and diesel engines on the low end and to get up into the top end you need another 10-20k to get a car that isnt completely basic. The upper echelons are then double starting at near enough the £100k mark with similar options - 911 S, R8, i8, V8 Vantage, NSX, Corvette

Really what is the competition there are only a couple of roadsters in the same ball park. V6 F type, TT-S, standard Boxster... I think the Z4 will compete against all of those very well if not beat them in the majority of aspects including price.

Regardless I really hope this is a winner for BMW. I also hope when the reviewers get hold of them that they dont slate them.
Last edited by tomscott on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:19 am

Tom, you are missing the fact its ugly as **** :lol:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:26 am

Nictrix wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:19 am Tom, you are missing the fact its ugly as **** :lol:
I think people need to wait until they see one in the flesh... look back on the E89 threads from 10 years ago full of the same old neg opinions. Yet now the majority of people prefer the look of the E89 over the E85/6...

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:40 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:26 am
Nictrix wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:19 am Tom, you are missing the fact its ugly as **** :lol:
I think people need to wait until they see one in the flesh... look back on the E89 threads from 10 years ago full of the same old neg opinions. Yet now the majority of people prefer the look of the E89 over the E85/6...
At the moment all I like is bits of the interior and the lights.
I don't need to worry about these things though for a good few years as I wouldn't be buying one new.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:09 pm

People always forget that when you PCP a car you need to forget 'buying' the car at the cash price, you need to add another £10k to the price, so this Z4 becomes a £65k car in reality. I think the only way to get into this car is to lease it and not worry about the depreciation that could hurt this badly....probably will send up at £3k down and £525 a month for 36 months.

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:41 pm

Thats supercharged V6 F-Type money..... I know which I'd choose

2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:58 pm

PCP/Leasing, what's the difference, you are basically renting a car for 3 years, lets just say its £400 a month (I think it will be more, but for the sake of argument) that's giving them the best part of 15k, to give it back at the end, rather own the car and take the depreciation, or better still, let someone else take the hit and buy it after 3 years,,,
I will have to get and see one in the flesh, cos the pics aren't exactly setting my heart racing
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

skelters

Post by skelters » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:16 pm

tomscott wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:26 am
Naw.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

skelters

Post by skelters » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:17 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:21 pm
Smartbear wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:19 pm
Sod the drinks, I'd prefer a shapely passenger with nicely filled 'D' cups... :evil:
With M badges all over no doubt!
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

J400uk

Post by J400uk » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Well I've ordered mine today anyway! Went for Black Sapphire with Ivory White leather, and added the Driving Assistant Pack. Came in at £49,950 so a shade under £50k. Very happy will be an awesome car for the money, can't wait to be back behind the wheel of a BMW! Now for the long wait until March... :D :D :D