Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just Saying.....

Discussing the current generation Z4
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Just Saying.....

Post by Smartbear » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:39 pm

I think I prefer the front end on the basic sport model, it looks lighter & less fussy than the M sport versions? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

warmasice

Just Saying.....

Post by warmasice » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:58 pm

dans6490 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:29 pm
RickRob wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:10 pm And whilst I am in ranting mode, when will BMW wake up and realise that their use of "M" has a) caused confusion and b) devalued the real "M" brand?

Indeed they lost the plot with the advent of turbos. You knew/know where you are with the E85/86. If they haven't lost the plot, then I certainly have! I cannot accept that a 40i hasn't got a 4 litre engine. Or am I simply failing to keep up?
Totally agree, what does the 40 represent? A 335 is a 330 with an extra turbo. So does the 40 represent the 3.0 plus 2 x 5 for each turbo?

The ///M situation is a farce and has devalued the “real ///M” cars imo. You see the badge everywhere now, it’s crazy.

A friend of mine has just bought a 116 M-sport, really nice car. Whilst talking in the pub, I asked if he’d ever seen a 1M, as it’s a car I really like. He replied that his car is 1M, just with a smaller engine :headbang
Wait are you telling me my msport isn't a real M car?! :rofl: :rofl:

idej_z4

Just Saying.....

Post by idej_z4 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:43 pm

dans6490 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:29 pm
RickRob wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:10 pm And whilst I am in ranting mode, when will BMW wake up and realise that their use of "M" has a) caused confusion and b) devalued the real "M" brand?

Indeed they lost the plot with the advent of turbos. You knew/know where you are with the E85/86. If they haven't lost the plot, then I certainly have! I cannot accept that a 40i hasn't got a 4 litre engine. Or am I simply failing to keep up?
Totally agree, what does the 40 represent? A 335 is a 330 with an extra turbo. So does the 40 represent the 3.0 plus 2 x 5 for each turbo?

The ///M situation is a farce and has devalued the “real ///M” cars imo. You see the badge everywhere now, it’s crazy.

A friend of mine has just bought a 116 M-sport, really nice car. Whilst talking in the pub, I asked if he’d ever seen a 1M, as it’s a car I really like. He replied that his car is 1M, just with a smaller engine :headbang
PMSL at the last bit of this. There is a guy at work who swears is car is an AMG Merc...and it’s a diesel.

One of my personal missions with my Z4 coupe has been to remove all the ///M references on the car, e.g gear stick, steering wheel because it isn’t an ///M - but shows they’ve have been doing it for years. It massively devalues the ///M brand, except to those who know the difference hence the fact ///M cars even of old still demand good money.

I actually think Audi (dare I say that on here) did a pretty good job of differentiating their models / brand. All carry the S mark (which I assume means sport) but at least have a different name. S-Line, S3, RS3.

That said, the ///M brand as a stand-alone makes them a s**t ton of money just in merchandise so you could argue that BMW have it right...if you’re looking at it for a business perspective.

Back to the car though, the long slung bonnet is the biggest let down for me. And the lack of differentiation between the lower end models and the M40i which on another thread was my original worry when I saw the M40i for the time - couldn’t see how they could dumb it down as it was already pretty flat.

warmasice

Just Saying.....

Post by warmasice » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:58 pm

The yanks are getting happy. And rightly so.. :)

https://carbuzz.com/news/take-that-euro ... e-powerful

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Just Saying.....

Post by Nictrix » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:20 pm

warmasice wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:58 pm The yanks are getting happy. And rightly so.. :)

https://carbuzz.com/news/take-that-euro ... e-powerful
Just realised after reading that that the M40i will be the only 6 cylinder.The 30i will be a 2 litre!
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)