Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Shmee has released a first look video

Discussing the current generation Z4
DOOM

Post by DOOM » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:06 am

firstly, in my eyes it's a E89 facelift. Especially if you look at it from the side.
As lots of you say, maybe it's a grower but that never actually happened with the E89.
Interior is not as beautifully and plainly simplistic as my Z4Cs' is, a bit fuzzy -to say the least- as I see it.
A no, from me. Unfortunately. Or maybe not so unfortunately.. :evil:

p.s. I can tolerate DeMuro cause his quirky stupidity helps me sleep.
I cannot watch a second, though, from Shmee and that overseas dude Vehicle Virgins. I even find Mr. JWW annoying.
Tavarish and Tyler Hoover seem nice blokes though.
'07 Z4C, Stratus Grey | square 108s | Quaife LSD | Lotus seats | Bilstein B4s | ZHP Knob| Cruise Control | Meyle Suspension arms | Pioneer head unit
Miata NBfl 1.8, Torsen T2, JVC Head Unit, Lotus Seat
Vauxhall Corsa C 1.4, bone stock :D

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:24 am

I think it looks quite good for a 2018 car, not an instant beauty but it might be a grower. The times are different today so it's really hard to compare it to previous models with different environment and regulations to work towards. My question would be would you order this over it's competitors today...? How does the 2018 TT, Boxster, and SLC compare to this Z4....which would you order?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:25 am

Do people find the likes of Schmee and MrJWW annoying because they are basically filthy rich and can afford anything they want? :D

Good luck to them I say, at least they have interesting content and don't come across as amateurs as most, the only one that does annoy me is Seb Delaney as he comes across as freeloading bum living off the back of his parents in Monaco.

Tim.

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:44 am

Those guys have created nice business models that merge with their passion. They'll easily pick up £20k a month from the advertising revenue alone. However, since the brands have begun to loan the free cars to promote they have all become less authentic and it's all very contrived.....i.e. see Car Throttle link up with Shell V Power....actually cringe-worthy content that lost my 'subscription'.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:04 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:44 am Those guys have created nice business models that merge with their passion. They'll easily pick up £20k a month from the advertising revenue alone. However, since the brands have begun to loan the free cars to promote they have all become less authentic and it's all very contrived.....i.e. see Car Throttle link up with Shell V Power....actually cringe-worthy content that lost my 'subscription'.
As soon as anybody is paid to do a review you can take what they say with a pinch of salt.
This years "must have" is next years "don't touch it with a bargepole"
I used to read bike mags and they all ended up the same, the new model was brilliant and blew everything into the weeds.
Later in the year the reviews were completely different with the same tester slating it.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:22 pm

philbo909 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:10 pm shmee just really grinds my gears, same as that vehicle virgins guy
as for the car, not a fan of the headlights, but otherwise it looks pretty good... not e86 good of course
Annoys the tish out of me....
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

philip27

Post by philip27 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:26 pm

I can't decide if I like it at the moment need to see one in the flesh. Not a big fan of the matte look colours either.

I was unsure on the concept until I saw it at Goodwood have a feeling it could be the same with the production model.

Can still see me in a Z4 again at some point though the M itch still pops up every so often haha.
Went to the dark side Porsche Cayman 987s
Crimson Red E89 23i - :(
Maldives Blue E85 2.5i - Sold :(

djstan

Post by djstan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:40 pm

Well I'm still intending to go to the Paris Motor Show in October to have a look at it :) :driving:
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

DOOM

Post by DOOM » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:47 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:25 am Do people find the likes of Schmee and MrJWW annoying because they are basically filthy rich and can afford anything they want? :D
being cool and/or watchable isn't measured in a wallet thickness unit, no?
'07 Z4C, Stratus Grey | square 108s | Quaife LSD | Lotus seats | Bilstein B4s | ZHP Knob| Cruise Control | Meyle Suspension arms | Pioneer head unit
Miata NBfl 1.8, Torsen T2, JVC Head Unit, Lotus Seat
Vauxhall Corsa C 1.4, bone stock :D

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:26 pm

GuidoK wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:44 am
sars wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 am It's funny to hear someone griping about 1500 kg being excessively heavy for a car, the 2.5 litre PDK Boxster's unladen weight (EC) is 1460 kg (source Porsche UK technical page for Boxster S) and I don't think I've heard anyone say that's lardy!
Then you havent read reviews of say a car like the new alpine.
Btw the ec weight of the z4 35is is 1600kg, so if this ones 50kg lighter, the ec weight will be 1550kg
And that's a fair point, the alpine is very light, and has indeed had rave reviews, probably being a better sports car than a Cayman, but that extra £10k price hike over the Z4 comes from being made pretty much entirely of aluminium and I applaud them for it. My comment was that we don't class the Boxster as porky and yet you did over the G29.

As for the E89 35is weight difference, we are assuming the stated 1500 kg is for the M40i variant G29, but we don't actually know until the full specification is published at the Paris Motor show in October. So let's wait before we start bitching about how porky it actually is and just welcome the fact that they have tried to make it lighter. :poke:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Wow, this car does nothing for me. Shame. I'm a big BMW fan, but apart from some details and tech, which, mind you can be found on other Bimmers, this car is a massive disappointment. I think the current one is by far the most pretty vehicle.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:21 pm

sars wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:26 pm . My comment was that we don't class the Boxster as porky and yet you did over the G29.
I dont know how 'WE' class the boxster.
I only know how 'I' class it and in this topic I havent spoken about that....
I can only say that the 35is has a (DIN) weight of 1500kg, the e85 3.0i has a (DIN) weight of 1295kg, the 718 boxster S has a (DIN) weight of 1360kg and the 1st gen boxster S as a (DIN) weight of 1335kg
This means that the boxster S has hardly gained weight over its 20 years existence whereas the z4 gained over 200kg in 1 generation. Taking off only 50kg off that weight isnt a real achievement imho (if the report of shmee is accurate).

But I'm talking from a perspective that I think the e85 is already a bit on the lardy side for a sportscar. Guess we have different ideas on whats important in a real sportscars or different demands on driving characteristics.
Last edited by GuidoK on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:24 pm

sars wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 am It's funny to hear someone griping about 1500 kg being excessively heavy for a car, the 2.5 litre PDK Boxster's unladen weight (EC) is 1460 kg (source Porsche UK technical page for Boxster S) and I don't think I've heard anyone say that's lardy! If you want something light buy an MX-5 or a lotus.

So much negativity before we've actually seen it in the flesh or driven it.....hmmm, just like the E89 when it replaced the E85 :lol:
According to my handbook that weight of the Boxster is with an average driver and some luggage as well Sars, just for interests sake.

I too find the ‘I won’t be buying one’ negativity strange when no one has driven one yet, what if it’s utterly brilliant and really is a serious porker rival, it looks better, has a better interior, more tech and is a change from Stuttgart’s finest? To me it’s looking like the perfect sports car, not too hardcore yet a nimble, powerful comfy roadster with all the right kit.

We’re all different though obviously.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:12 pm

In the nicest possible way the forum is a quite conservative place with many not liking change.

The introduction of the E89 was really hated on, weight, folding roof, wheels cracking, size, handling! Most of all because there was no M variant when BMW had access to that amazing V8, 100hp on the S54, 2 more cylinders and weighed almost the same.... looked like it could have been a great combo with some M sharpness upgrades. Alas it never happened.

Its also the fact you cant buy a "new" Z4, currently the maximum any Z4 is about £30k but the vast majority of current Z4s are 5-18k. The new one is slated to be 40k but i very much doubt that as the E89 was more expensive, I could see these easily running to £55k. Were talking about huge differences in price meaning different buyers.

Its very doubtful anyone looking at the "current" Z4 options will be in the market for this, 10K E85/6 3.0SI even a 20k E89 35IS, there will be a 30-40k difference in price.

With the gap of 2 years since the E89 was last produced I would say the current owners probably arent the target market. I doubt there are many 1 owner Zs left the ones that are... is it really going to be a mass migration of Z4s coming onto the AUC market, Doubtful.

The target audience of the 55k Z4 have moved on because BMW left them with no option. At the end of the production run even with the discounts the Z4 was expensive vs pre owned they just weren't very attractive and the numbers at the end of that period were minuscule.

The people who did buy cars at the end of the run was because the majority of facelift cars were sold in 35IS spec but with very few options and were sold in small numbers so were hard to get hold of. The only way to get what you wanted was to order it new and the fact no new Z4 had been announced or was even on the horizon with the only chatter being a hybrid which excited... no one.

They will be trying to win those customers back that have moved on to another BMW or brand.

Its also a big risk buying these things, the E89 had awful residuals, to the point when the facelift came out they put huge discounts on 35IS models with no spec to get Z4 owners to upgrade because the boxster was the same price but a far better drivers car and the E89 was slated by the press. The residuals have been so much better on the Porsche alternatives. A fully loaded lowish mile E89 35is wont set you back much more than 22-25k yet a similar 981 box/cay will cost you 32-35k for a standardish S all the way up to 55k for a GTS.

You also have to factor in the financial situation between 2009-2014 it wasnt a particularly stable time so that was also a factor. 987.2 Boxster and Caymans sold in very low numbers too in that time but were available from the end of 2009 to early 2012 (18 months) before the 981 was introduced.

The E89 has gathered traction in the used market because it wasn't received well and they are cheap just like the Z4MC was, they have become real bargains with lots of performance on tap, with comfort and they are good looking cars. With low end 35I being 13k they are absolute bargains what ever way you look at it. Makes them available to lots of people that wouldn't have bought one new. I bought my 4yo Z4Mc with 45k for 17.5k in 2011, because i couldn't afford the insurance on an E46 M3. :rofl:

Forums are full of enthusiasts and unfortunately BMW doesn't cater for these people anymore, even if they make an M version it will be on the same line as the M4 style cars. They are quick and purposeful easily being weekend and dailies. The old M cars with notchy gear boxes and poor fuel economy wernt that suitable as dailies. You could use them as dailies but you had to really love them... aka an enthusiast.

Now anyone can drive the newer gen cars quick, there is no effort plant your foot and go.

The main issue is all of the modern M cars have lost the essence of what an M car is, the M brand is so diluted that almost every model has an M variant and sub M variant like the M140s etc. BMW are in it to sell cars and have made this perfectly clear. They are not for the enthusiast. Look at the M140 they have sold a shed tonne, those numbers are a success and BMW will be happy to make more of these mid way cars.

At the end of the day people that buy cars are the mass market, they dont want spine shattering ride quality, only suitable for a weekend a&b road blasts. They want comfortable cars, with the best tech, quick in a straight line because most will sit on the motorway and they want to look good while doing so. An extension of their own persona.

BMW obviously feel they cant compete with the box/cay market with the Z4 which is why the E89 was produced. Maybe BMW feel the M2 and M4 are more suitable as competitors... although again I wouldn't call either a sports car but a fast saloons. This generation Z4 looks not to be a GT and not an all out sport car but something in between that can tickle your fancy in both areas, while maintaining a 6 cyl motor and 2 seats in a world where 1.8 and 2.0 turbos are the new generation. Im not really sure what that is, but it is what it is good at many things, master of none.

At least they kept it a 6 cyl, although a turbo it sounds very purposeful. Its very hard to get excited about smaller engine, worce sounding cars. I cant get excited about the Alpine although interesting it just doesn't do it for me, the new box/cay again amazing car but there is no emotional attachment. Its not just BMW its across the whole board. All the options for me are lacking and cars that generally are exciting are in 7-100k mark which will never be affordable to me.

Even at 55k the new Z4 will have to compete with AUC pre owned cars that are 2-3 years old and maybe were 20-30k more. To many they may be more appealing like a 911, F type V8S for example. Most of these cars get 2 year AUC warranties and are also current.

Its very easy to say this is what it should be, but BMW wont make a car specific for your needs. The difference between what you say you want and what makes you part with your money are two different things.

Often the opinion of a small group vs a years of market research and analysis are polar opposites.

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:21 pm

I prefer everything on the E89 apart from the rear.

This looks very similar to the Fiat from the front. Not that keen at all.