G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Discussing the next generation Z4
Online
User avatar
ph001
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by ph001 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:59 am

I can’t possible see how it would result in an MOT failure or affect the insurance validity, however it will show up in big bold letters in the government online MOT checker that there are recalls outstanding, which could potentially put off prospective buyers if you ever came to selling.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual.

Image

Online
User avatar
ronk
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 9819
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am
Location: Durham

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by ronk » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:56 am

TitanTim wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:08 am
I dont know what it is with German cars but I've come to the conclusion the perceived quality is there on the surface but underneath it's not that great at times. Most cars I've had from new BWW, Audi's, VAGs have had some issue whether mechanical or trim issues or paint damage or minor scuffs from the factory, big turn off when your paying for supposedly premium quality.

My little Hyundai i10 that cost 13k from new was delivered perfect, no issues and hasn't missed a heartbeat. Maybe I've just been unlucky with German cars but I will be swapping for another Hyundai when the time comes. I know the badge snobs turn their noses up at the likes of Hyundai but these days I prefer cars that do the job with the least possible hassle. I guess it depends whether you enjoy sitting in the dealership drinking their fancy coffee for hours on end :)

Tim.
But you’ve still got the 135 tucked away in the garage ?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

User avatar
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6649
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:21 pm

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:07 am

ronk wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:56 am
TitanTim wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:08 am
I dont know what it is with German cars but I've come to the conclusion the perceived quality is there on the surface but underneath it's not that great at times. Most cars I've had from new BWW, Audi's, VAGs have had some issue whether mechanical or trim issues or paint damage or minor scuffs from the factory, big turn off when your paying for supposedly premium quality.

My little Hyundai i10 that cost 13k from new was delivered perfect, no issues and hasn't missed a heartbeat. Maybe I've just been unlucky with German cars but I will be swapping for another Hyundai when the time comes. I know the badge snobs turn their noses up at the likes of Hyundai but these days I prefer cars that do the job with the least possible hassle. I guess it depends whether you enjoy sitting in the dealership drinking their fancy coffee for hours on end :)

Tim.
But you’ve still got the 135 tucked away in the garage ?
I have yes Ron, well a M140i :) Just had its first MOT at 712 mies :lol: I haven't used it enough to show up any faults yet :) I'am planning on keeping it though so when everyone sells theirs and rushes out to buy the new 4cyl model and regret it I can sell it for a tidy sum :)

I'll be changing the little i10 though hopefully later in the year, either for a Kona or Tuscon. Been really impressed with the brand and the local dealer, plus they don't break down :?

Tim.
Image

Online
User avatar
ronk
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 9819
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am
Location: Durham

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by ronk » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:40 am

712 Miles not even bedded in!

The scary Calc is how much £ / mile - I did the Calc when I was considering an M40i - needless to say it’s not going to happen at this point.
I’ve done 9k in 33 months so heaven knows what your figure will be :rofl:

My guesstimate is about £28 / mile :driving:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

User avatar
Jim S
Member
Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:59 pm
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by Jim S » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:44 am

TitanTim wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:08 am

My little Hyundai i10 that cost 13k from new was delivered perfect, no issues and hasn't missed a heartbeat. Maybe I've just been unlucky with German cars but I will be swapping for another Hyundai when the time comes. I know the badge snobs turn their noses up at the likes of Hyundai but these days I prefer cars that do the job with the least possible hassle. I guess it depends whether you enjoy sitting in the dealership drinking their fancy coffee for hours on end :)

Tim.
Yes Tim, there are plenty of other, shall we say, less respected brands out there that actually perform exceptionally well. Just a few years ago I bought my wife a new Hyundai iX20 and followed it with a new i40. Both of these cars gave us absolutely no problems in the 3+ years that we owned them. She has now moved on to the Nissan Qashqai and is driving her second one now. Both have performed very well with absolutely no problems at all. :thumbsup:

I have been a loyal BMW fan for many years, always purchasing them brand new and the way I feel at the moment the M40i may be my last BMW. I would be quite happy moving to a top of the range Nissan, Hyundai, or other similar brand. It would save me a fortune and I'm sure I would be quite happy driving it. :D
Current: 2019 Z4 M40i (G29)
Previous BMW's (all new):
2017 520d MSport xDrive (G30)
2016 Z4 20i sDrive SE (E89)
2014 428i MSport Gran Coupe (F36)
2009 530d SE Gran Turismo (F07)
2007 525d SE (E60 LCI)
2005 523i SE (E60)
2002 320d SE (E46)
1982 520i (E28)

Online
User avatar
ronk
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 9819
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am
Location: Durham

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by ronk » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:02 pm

Who knows what cars we will have to buy if import tariffs happen !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

User avatar
Jim S
Member
Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:59 pm
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by Jim S » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:09 pm

ronk wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:02 pm
Who knows what cars we will have to buy if import tariffs happen !
Yes indeed, that may hit all the German and other European brands hard. :roll:

User avatar
Jim S
Member
Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:59 pm
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by Jim S » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:13 pm

Jim S wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:09 pm
ronk wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:02 pm
Who knows what cars we will have to buy if import tariffs happen !
Yes indeed, that may hit all the German and other European brands hard. :roll:
It may even be a Mustang or Corvette next!!!

User avatar
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6649
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:21 pm

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:38 pm

ronk wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:40 am
712 Miles not even bedded in!

The scary Calc is how much £ / mile - I did the Calc when I was considering an M40i - needless to say it’s not going to happen at this point.
I’ve done 9k in 33 months so heaven knows what your figure will be :rofl:

My guesstimate is about £28 / mile :driving:
I don't think of the costs, if I did I would never own a car. End of the day, I'll buy the car off BMW and its value will still keep dropping, nothing you can do about that, I guess I could do 100,000 miles over the 4 year PCP and give car back kn0wing I've got use out of it but the plan was always to keep the mileage low with limited use to enjoy the car once I own it outright, I don't if there is a right or wrong way to ownig a car to maximise value for money during ownership.

Tim.
Image

User avatar
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 6649
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:21 pm

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:11 pm

Jim S wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:44 am
TitanTim wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:08 am

My little Hyundai i10 that cost 13k from new was delivered perfect, no issues and hasn't missed a heartbeat. Maybe I've just been unlucky with German cars but I will be swapping for another Hyundai when the time comes. I know the badge snobs turn their noses up at the likes of Hyundai but these days I prefer cars that do the job with the least possible hassle. I guess it depends whether you enjoy sitting in the dealership drinking their fancy coffee for hours on end :)

Tim.
Yes Tim, there are plenty of other, shall we say, less respected brands out there that actually perform exceptionally well. Just a few years ago I bought my wife a new Hyundai iX20 and followed it with a new i40. Both of these cars gave us absolutely no problems in the 3+ years that we owned them. She has now moved on to the Nissan Qashqai and is driving her second one now. Both have performed very well with absolutely no problems at all. :thumbsup:

I have been a loyal BMW fan for many years, always purchasing them brand new and the way I feel at the moment the M40i may be my last BMW. I would be quite happy moving to a top of the range Nissan, Hyundai, or other similar brand. It would save me a fortune and I'm sure I would be quite happy driving it. :D
The dealer I feel plays a big part in a brands ownership experience. My local BMW dealer has gone through alot of ownership changes over recent years, staff turnover is high. The last couple of new cars I've had I've dealt with 2 to 3 different staff during the ordering and delivery process as people leave so you don't build up any sort of rapport. My local Hyundai dealer is still a family run business where staff have been there for years so you tend to be treated a little more as valued customer.

I'm currently speccing up a number of cars and baulking at the 1000s you need to shell out for a few extras on a VAG or Audi where it's standard on a Hyundai and I just think really, what's the point spending the extra. Other good thing is Jap and Korean makes have higher retained values these days after 3 years from new so the reason for sticking with German brands is less attractive than it used to be.

Tim.
Image

User avatar
Jim S
Member
Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:59 pm
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by Jim S » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Yes Tim, I agree. Since my local dealer was taken over by Arnold Clark it has not been the same experience. :thumbsdown:

Online
User avatar
ronk
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 9819
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am
Location: Durham

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by ronk » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:26 pm

My dealer is Inchcape owned and think I’ve got a good relationship with them - ok some things haven’t gone quite to plan at times - but they’ve always worked to resolve the situation to mutual satisfaction.

The recent update of the sat nav required for Monday’s Europe trip was expedited as a VOR - they really pulled out the stops for me.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

User avatar
Jim S
Member
Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:59 pm
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by Jim S » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:10 am

Has any new Z4 G29 owner had the front passenger seat occupancy sensor replaced by their dealer? Just wondering how it went and how the finished job looks. :o

Gapsbm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:22 am

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by Gapsbm » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:27 am

In the past I had heated seats retro fitted by the main dealer to a 3 month old m235i, they used an upholstery to do the work, it was fine. The covers normally clip on so they only need repositioning when going back on.

Ultimately remember this is BMW recommending the work, the dealer has an obligation to return your car to you in the condition you took it in. So take photos on the day of dropping the car off, whilst the service guys watch you. No question then.

Just do it otherwise it will always niggle you.

Good luck.

User avatar
Jim S
Member
Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:59 pm
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland

G29 Technical Enhancement Notices

Post by Jim S » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:56 am

Gapsbm wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:27 am
In the past I had heated seats retro fitted by the main dealer to a 3 month old m235i, they used an upholstery to do the work, it was fine. The covers normally clip on so they only need repositioning when going back on.

Ultimately remember this is BMW recommending the work, the dealer has an obligation to return your car to you in the condition you took it in. So take photos on the day of dropping the car off, whilst the service guys watch you. No question then.

Just do it otherwise it will always niggle you.

Good luck.
Good advice Gapsbm, must remember to do that when I take the car in. No rush at the moment, waiting for a few others to be done first and to hear how it went. :driving:
Current: 2019 Z4 M40i (G29)
Previous BMW's (all new):
2017 520d MSport xDrive (G30)
2016 Z4 20i sDrive SE (E89)
2014 428i MSport Gran Coupe (F36)
2009 530d SE Gran Turismo (F07)
2007 525d SE (E60 LCI)
2005 523i SE (E60)
2002 320d SE (E46)
1982 520i (E28)

Post Reply