Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gearbox and rear diff fluids changed

Alpina Specific discussion
Zoso

Gearbox and rear diff fluids changed

Post by Zoso » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:51 am

No doubt you know this but it is a easy task.

1. Remove the rear pan protector near the rear diff. Approx 10 screws approx m8.

2. Unscrew the filler plugs first just incase you cant get them removed for the refill. The gearbox filler is on the off side of the gearbox. The diff filler is at the rear of the diff. I stuck a magnet torch to the location.

3. Remove drain plugs and catch your fluids.

4. I used titan sinto fluid for the gearbox and redline for the rear diff. The gearbox is labelled with a yellow sticker telling you what oil spec you should use. I selected the fluids based on forum advice and checking compatibility myself against bmw oils.

5. To refill i used a 100ml syringe and a poly tube. Its 1.5 litres for the gearbox and 1 litre for the diff.

Once i was organised i did the job in approx 2 hours. I took my time to get it all drained.

The rear diff filler is a bit tricky. Its a m14 square key. I used a reduced extension bar to get me passed the rear sway bar. With a bit of careful force i got it out.

I have a four post lift but i took my time. If doing this yourself use axle stands/chocks please. Gives me the willies seeing people just relying on a jack.

Cheers
Paul
Roadster S Lux. Build Number 185#. Number 86 of 167 RHD manufactured. 75,000 miles.