Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Alpina is dead :(((

Alpina Specific discussion
PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Wed May 02, 2018 10:07 am

MACK wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:13 am
PerryGunn wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:51 pm
MACK wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 2:35 pm ...
If you need a piston for example maybe a good engine builder can match the existing part to a new one off manufacturer markings etc. As i said earlier I'm not well up on Alpina but I'm willing to bet the bespoke parts are being made for them by the mainstream suppliers rather than in house
Manufacturer information for a lot of the parts is available, e.g. the pistons in the B3S are lightweight forged items made by Mahle, the tuned stainless exhaust was made to Alpina specs by Boyssen... other parts came from the BMW parts bin and were re-purposed for the RS sometimes with a bit of in-house work to modify them, sometimes not...

The problem with the headgasket is that Alpina had it made specifically to their pattern for the bored-out 3.4L engine and they hold the only stock of them. As there are relatively few B3S engines around, it seems that it's not economically viable for anyone to make a pattern part.
Thanks.
Some good/useful info there Perry. You learn something everyday. Do you have links etc to the Alpina parts info? Might be useful to the OP and other Alpina owners going forward.
There are threads in the Alpina-specific section that give details of replacement parts & part numbers
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

SkiNNeR

Post by SkiNNeR » Wed May 02, 2018 4:17 pm

ok ive ordered an endescope which should arrive tomorow. Thats definitely a great idea, I don't want to end up ordering these parts if my engine is completely goosed. With a bit of luck its just the gasket. But i do think theres maybe a bit of valve in there, somethings definitely not right. I will get my new creepy camera down there tomorrow and post up some pics :D
2004 Z4 3.0i SE, Titanium Silver, -15mm Eibachs, EBC discs & Pads

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:50 pm

I ordered one as well - just thought it would be a really handy little tool to have for £20. If your plug electrode really is getting physically damaged when you run the engine, there has to be more to it than just a head gasket problem.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

SkiNNeR

Post by SkiNNeR » Thu May 03, 2018 9:37 pm

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:54 am

:-? ...tricky to see but is that part of the piston ring that is broken? If so it will probably have scored the bore as well so a bit of cash to get it right again. Looks like you are into a head rework unfortunately.

You might get a clearer video if you hand crank the engine while looking in there.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Fri May 04, 2018 12:06 pm

That's completely stuffed, something has been bouncing up and down in there :(

There will be damage to the head, piston, valves, bore...

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sat May 05, 2018 10:20 am

ph001 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:54 am :-? ...tricky to see but is that part of the piston ring that is broken? If so it will probably have scored the bore as well so a bit of cash to get it right again. Looks like you are into a head rework unfortunately.

You might get a clearer video if you hand crank the engine while looking in there.
looks like one of the rings to me as well.
I guess the next step is head and sump etc off then for a proper look.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

AlpinaRoadsterS

Post by AlpinaRoadsterS » Wed May 09, 2018 4:38 pm

markeg wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:12 am Have you tried pm'ing AlpinaRoadsterS on here? Manfred's a pretty helpful guy and might be able to help with a quote from a German dealership; might be cheaper?
Thanks markeg :)

The price in Germany for the Roadster S cylinder head gasket ( # 11 12 123 ) ist about 350 EURO + shipping.
350 EUR = 300,50 GBP (todays google exchange rate).
You need also the gasket intake system ( # 11 61 132 ) - but this one is not expansive.

350 EURO ist today's price - I know because my Roadster S #203 is this month in the workshop for changing the cylinder head gasket (precautionary) - I have 93.500 miles on the odometer. Fortunately I tackled this, because the head gasket was already slightly damaged in one place. I'm having the complete cylinder head overhauled now - he's down anyway.

Alpina is the only supplier of the cylinder head gasket. You could order a handmade one from other suppliers - but this will cost the same or more.

You can order the cylinder head gasket only with a Alpina Roadster S VIN.

Good luck for the TE - unfortunately looks like an expensive repair.
Alpina Roadster S #203 - color: sterling grey - 19" CSL - upholstery: leather red

SkiNNeR

Post by SkiNNeR » Sat May 26, 2018 4:45 pm

Hey there AlpinaRoadsterS! Thats great news about the headgasket, least that saves me a bit of money as it will no doubt be an expensive repair. I still haven't got the head off it yet but I will definitely need to replace it at some point in the near future. Do I just get in contact with Alpina Germany to order these parts then? I might need to replace a piston aswell, i hope they can supply one piston also because i don't really want to have to buy a whole set :)

I am more than likely going to remove the engine, strip it down and do a full rebuild if it needs it. I might drop another engine in for the time being but it could be more hassle than its worth with engine management and gearbox/diff ratios being different. There's a lot to do which will definitely keep me busy anyway ;)

I'm concerned about the bore also if its damaged. Does anyone know if Alpina use sleeves in the cylinders? Because if it is damaged I could possibly get re sleeved. It is a big worry because it might even be beyond repair in which case i will need to find another engine block :((

Had my Alpenis for 5 years now and has been a mega money pit, but I will never sell or get rid of it, shes my baby! so whatever needs to get done will get done. When i die an old man they can bury it with me :D haha
QiC9nzK.jpg
QiC9nzK.jpg (326.81 KiB) Viewed 4192 times

AlpinaRoadsterS

Post by AlpinaRoadsterS » Sat May 26, 2018 8:44 pm

SkiNNeR wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:45 pm... Do I just get in contact with Alpina Germany to order these parts then? ...
This is not possible as Alpina only delivers to an Alpina dealer in UK.
My workshop can order the gasket and send to UK. He need the Alpina VIN of the car to do this.

If you change the head gasket - you should also change the conrod bearing "german: Pleuellager".
I have done this a week ago also on my Roadster S.
SkiNNeR wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:45 pm... I might need to replace a piston aswell, i hope they can supply one piston also because i don't really want to have to buy a whole set :) ...
Please ask you Alpina dealer in UK. If this parts also cheaper in germany, we could send this parts to you.

My # 203 inside:
lenkrad.jpg
lenkrad.jpg (208.72 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
navi.jpg
navi.jpg (116.19 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
Alpina Roadster S #203 - color: sterling grey - 19" CSL - upholstery: leather red