Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lets see your Watches

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Lets see your Watches

Post by Smartbear » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:17 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:45 pm Some cheat sold me this Omega. It arrived with only one hand and the date only goes up to 12. Ba$tard.

Beautiful watch, though. :wink:

Have you tried getting it repaired? Can the parts still be sourced? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Lets see your Watches

Post by Busterboo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:02 pm

I was pulling your leg, Rob. It's a 'jumping hour' watch - 'heures sautantes'. The number in the window is the hour - so it only goes up to 12 - and the hand is the minutes.

There's no hour hand and no date.

Omega made them only for a couple of years in the late 90s - using an ETA2892 movement. Mine is in very good condition and I think it's beautiful. (My favourite version is by Audemars Piguet, but I can't afford one.)

Vidi, vici, veni

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Lets see your Watches

Post by enzed4 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:05 am

Busterboo wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:02 pm I was pulling your leg, Rob. It's a 'jumping hour' watch - 'heures sautantes'. The number in the window is the hour - so it only goes up to 12 - and the hand is the minutes.

There's no hour hand and no date.

Omega made them only for a couple of years in the late 90s - using an ETA2892 movement. Mine is in very good condition and I think it's beautiful. (My favourite version is by Audemars Piguet, but I can't afford one.)

Reminds me of the Oris Regulator I almost bought - very cool, but with the Oris the single large hand is more of a dive timer, and there is an hour hand in a subdial.
Agree with Busterboo - I would take that Breguet over the YM any day of the week :wub:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Busterboo

Lets see your Watches

Post by Busterboo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:19 am

Yes, the Breguet's a good watch. The problem is that, when I start wearing it, the others don't get a look-in.

Mind you, I'm using an unusual Zenith El Primero 'Chronometre' these days.
Vidi, vici, veni

Lets see your Watches

Post by sticky » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:32 am

Busterboo wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:19 am Yes, the Breguet's a good watch. The problem is that, when I start wearing it, the others don't get a look-in.

Me too, nice watches
Attachments
20180331_161723.jpg
20180331_161723.jpg (126.1 KiB) Viewed 1475 times

Lets see your Watches

Post by sticky » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:58 am

sticky wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:32 am
Busterboo wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:19 am Yes, the Breguet's a good watch. The problem is that, when I start wearing it, the others don't get a look-in.

Me too, nice watches
Forgot to ask, what is unusual about your Zenith ??

Busterboo

Lets see your Watches

Post by Busterboo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Yours, sticky, is the best of the present generation.

I have two of the previous generation, the classic Zenith El Primero Moonphase Chronomaster and this Chronometre, which was made for the Italian Market, I think:

Vidi, vici, veni

Busterboo

Lets see your Watches

Post by Busterboo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:39 pm

It's a hybrid - a Chronometre - with the dial work of this Chronomaster (which I don't have):

This is the Chronomaster that I do have:

Vidi, vici, veni

Lets see your Watches

Post by sticky » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:46 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:27 pm Yours, sticky, is the best of the present generation.

I have two of the previous generation, the classic Zenith El Primero Moonphase Chronomaster and this Chronometre, which was made for the Italian Market, I think:

Beautiful watches, I think your pic is also from the Chronomaster series. I know a lot of previous models were Italian based fx the De Luca series which annoyed Rolex who had the movement in the Daytona 1990-2011

Lets see your Watches

Post by sticky » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:39 pm It's a hybrid - a Chronometre - with the dial work of this Chronomaster (which I don't have):

This is the Chronomaster that I do have:

Top pic is Grande Chronomaster GT, the 2nd pic I"ve seen advertised in Germany no title

Busterboo

Lets see your Watches

Post by Busterboo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:05 pm

I also like older (and smaller) watches. This Smiths Astral from the 60s, for example:

Vidi, vici, veni

Lets see your Watches

Post by sticky » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:15 pm

So many to choose from it"s not easy to decide what to buy next, l think a Zenith A277 if I can find one unmolested. Some heavy prices on the nice ones nowadays

Darkangelv2

Lets see your Watches

Post by Darkangelv2 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:30 am

Random question to an eclectic group of watch enthusiasts:

My dad wants to replace his late father’s stolen 1980s Omega Seamaster with a watch he will pass on to me some day (he’s not into watches so it will likely be passed on sooner rather than later).

We have £1800 to spend on a used example or £2400 if we buy new from watches of Switzerland. I wonder if you could recommend a good model to plump for that is a reasonably safe investment for the future?

In terms of style, my current fave is the Breitling Superocean Heritage 42 I. But it’s too expensive. So something in that vein would be nice.

Thoughts?
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

coupedan

Lets see your Watches

Post by coupedan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:12 pm

Darkangelv2 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:30 am Random question to an eclectic group of watch enthusiasts:

My dad wants to replace his late father’s stolen 1980s Omega Seamaster with a watch he will pass on to me some day (he’s not into watches so it will likely be passed on sooner rather than later).

We have £1800 to spend on a used example or £2400 if we buy new from watches of Switzerland. I wonder if you could recommend a good model to plump for that is a reasonably safe investment for the future?

In terms of style, my current fave is the Breitling Superocean Heritage 42 I. But it’s too expensive. So something in that vein would be nice.

Thoughts?
I think for that money, you probably won't get anything that will be an investment per-se. However it will yield you a pretty nice watch. Maybe something like a Tudor Black Bay?
Or if you want something a little different they do a Black Bay Bronze (see previous posts as someone has posted a pic)

Other than that.. Something Tag Heuer, but people say they are not that reliable... So do your research.

Christopher Ward make very nice watches indeed, but they won't be future investments as they are a fairly new brand with not very much heritage.

Some food for thought there.. Good luck!

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Lets see your Watches

Post by enzed4 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:11 am

Darkangelv2 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:30 am Random question to an eclectic group of watch enthusiasts:

Thoughts?
Watches are not investments (unless you spend a lot of time researching, and spending big money to (hopefully) make some money). The value in what you're looking for is in its provenance, and that will be unique to you. Buy the best watch you can for the money, something that you love the look of and will be happy wearing for years to come.
It's extremely difficult to recommend a watch as preferences are very personal - we all have different tastes, and luckily there are so many different styles out there to satisfy them :thumbsup:
Your budget seems quite reasonable, there are a lot of options for that money. If you want something classic, what about a Speedmaster (moonwatch)?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport