Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

London TFL new emission consultations 2020

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
springerspan

London TFL new emission consultations 2020

Post by springerspan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:27 pm

I have just registered my objections to the new proposed TFL 2020 emission zone proposals and charges.
For all those living in the London area who own are pre 2006 registered car you may want to have a look.
The 'consultation' concludes on the 9th January 2015, so ignore at your wallet's peril!
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/enviro ... ssion-zone

Talksthetorque

Re: London TFL new emission consultations 2020

Post by Talksthetorque » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:15 pm

56 reg here, Does this mean values are going to rise?
It appears that Heathrow is just as bad as central London for the specific Pollution discussed in this, I wonder what will be done about that ( Hint: Nothing)

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:43 pm

It is mainly the diesel that is an issue. All Ms would be fine by the looks of it .
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

omar

Post by omar » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Shows the idiocy of the carbon dioxide targeting over the last decade and the massive proliferation of diesel company cars that has resulted (along with all of the nasty pollutants that are definitely killing people now). I think I'm right in saying that Paris has recently banned them from the centre already.

Personally I think if they are serious then big European cities should get together and apply a consistent standard that only zero emissions vehicles should be allowed in the central areas. Same for the new blackwall / Silvertown tunnel that's being built soon. 2020 might be a bit too soon but it'd spur development and uptake like nothing else could.
Toy: 2005 E85, 2.5i, Mauritius Blue, Retrofitted electric leather seats & 18" E90 193 style wheels, Hardtop, Xenon kit
Sensible car: 2012 F10 ActiveHybrid 5

Dev

Post by Dev » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 pm

I've just contributed to the consultation. Its totally rigged of course - the way the questions are worded means that whatever your answer, they will be able to 'interpret' the results to suit their own ends.

if you want to find out if your car is Euro 4 compliant;

http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/

I ran my details, 2003 3.0 Z4 is Euro 3 compliant - meaning I'd have to pay the additional daily charge if it were implemented and I drove into the zone.
2003 E85 Z4 3.0 Titanium Silver

springerspan

Post by springerspan » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Last post - correct. This does not affect diesel cars only - it effectively includes ALL petrol cars registered before 2006 I think.
Please note also the assumption that the charge will be applied 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. There is no mention of the congestion charge being changed, but that clearly is what will go alongside it.
Will they introduce a rolling date so that into 2021 any car over 14 years old will be caught by the new rules ? i.e. those produced in 2006? Again not clear.
In the options - question 16, you cannot select an option to object to having NO ULEZ area at all. Completely rigged I agree. But I have made objection to the wording of that question in my comments.
But its a potentially very nasty proposal which anyone with a older car should object too. The problem with pollution in London is buses and taxis belching out diesel. Not petrol cars.......

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:24 am

omar wrote:Personally I think if they are serious then big European cities should get together and apply a consistent standard that only zero emissions vehicles should be allowed in the central areas. Same for the new blackwall / Silvertown tunnel that's being built soon. 2020 might be a bit too soon but it'd spur development and uptake like nothing else could.
Well between now and then manufacturers will need to get their fingers out and create vehicles that can last a significant amount of miles before they require recharging. Also councils will need to install more charging facilities. We are only talking 5 years and eletric vehicles haven't only just been developed and still there is not enough to encourage people to swap out of fossil fuel vehicles to electric.

Add to that people actually live in city centres, it's not all offices and shops and taxis and buses using the roads and now councils are telling you that not only do you have to pay vehicle excise duty to HMRC for owning your car, if you don't change it at your expense they will also tax you on it on a daily basis. So if you don't use your car during the week but need it for weekends say traveling hundreds of miles you will either need to cough up, buy a car that currently isn't fit for purpose or find somewhere to store your vehicle out with the city centre meaning that if you actually need you car urgently you need to travel more than likely by public transport to get it, unless you also have a 'zero emissions' vehicle in the City.

We all know that fossil fuels are bad but we also know that diesel cars are horrendous for emmissions and are the real issue here. Looking at the pie chart only 3% will come from Petrol Cars, the rest mainly from Diesel vehicles however motorcycles a less than a percent and private hire and vans/mini buses will more than likely be diesel but could be petrol.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

ITAG

Post by ITAG » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:15 am

Quite happy about it to be honest, being a biker I always hated the fumes in London for cycling and walking.

water vapour and carbon dioxide (CO2). Carbon dioxide is the most important of the greenhouse gases which are contributing to climate change. In 6000 miles a car will produce roughly its own weight in CO2.

DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:40 am

The 2008 3.0 si Auto Roadster is Euro 4 so compliant.

Not living in London and nor do I visit, I don't mind either. :fuelfire:

Making people take old junk off the road I don't have a problem with. It seems that this will be harsh on two groups - classic cars (in the broadest sense) and those who need vehicles heavily adapted due to a disability.It is a shame that motoring heritage and the most vulnerable might be swallowed up in this.
One Carbon Black Z4 3.0 si Roadster plus one mid-life crisis = Good times ahead!

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:20 pm

DumfriesDik wrote:The 2008 3.0 si Auto Roadster is Euro 4 so compliant.

Not living in London and nor do I visit, I don't mind either. :fuelfire:

Making people take old junk off the road I don't have a problem with. It seems that this will be harsh on two groups - classic cars (in the broadest sense) and those who need vehicles heavily adapted due to a disability.It is a shame that motoring heritage and the most vulnerable might be swallowed up in this.
you should also include low income and key worker families on that list. all well and good saying take old junk off the road but does that include my almost 11 yr old Z? or what about my retired mum and dads 2005 focus? ironically a heavily adapted car for a disability has a high likely hood of being <3yrs old anyway if they are the motability scheme.

your car will be an old piece of junk by the time 2020 comes along @ 12yrs

where are you drawing that line? not everyone has the means to repace cars with the latest. some people rely on them and old bits of junk are all they can get.
Proud Whip owner ;)

thepits

Post by thepits » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:28 pm

DumfriesDik wrote:Not living in London and nor do I visit, I don't mind either. :fuelfire:
+1 and should I need to, I'd park at an outer underground/railway station and travel in. Much quicker & easier.

Buy a Smart car :o :poke: :driving:

Cats know your every thought.
But don't care.

ITAG

Post by ITAG » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:37 pm

How about they make the congestion zone car free? New hydro buses and taxis only. Disable friendly buses or pickup mini buses? I lived in London 12 years lose the cars people! I counted 37 sets of traffic lights on my daily route through town. That's in 5 miles! All suffered 3 broken collar bones due to car drivers pulling out, one on a push bike the other two on a motorbike.