Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Insulated Garage Doors - any feedback

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Insulated Garage Doors - any feedback

Post by ZermattV » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Anyone got any experience of sealed insulated garage doors - thinking of giving the man Cave a make over and as one of the main bedrooms in the house is directly above the garage we'd like to improve the temperature in the garage . seen a few systems on line but was wondering if anyone had noticed an appreciable difference.
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Insulated Garage Doors - any feedback

Post by Number5 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:19 pm

I believe Horman are one of the best makes available. (German too to match the Zed!)

Ive had a double skinned,insulated Horman door for approx 10 years and its been faultless
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

shortfuse 2

Post by shortfuse 2 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:45 pm

I have a roller insulated door last 5 years very good but only 22mm thick .best doors for what you require is a sectional electric door 40mm thick ideal for what you require :thumbsup:

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Yep it was a Hormann 40mm sectional insulated door I was considering :thumbsup:
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:31 pm

Funnily enough I am looking into garage doors. I like the look of the electric Novoferm insulated (77mm double aluminium skin) roller doors. About £850 fro a 7ft x 10ft from Andersons.
One Carbon Black Z4 3.0 si Roadster plus one mid-life crisis = Good times ahead!

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Have you considered some lined curtains to help trap heat and cut down draughts :) not sure what type my roller door is but never seems to get that cold (adjoins with the house which helps)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:51 am

Ive had a Horman insulated sectional double door for about 7 years now and the Marantec motor has been faultless for 13 years. (Wife forgot to open the original door before driving into the garage back in 2007 !)

Both been excellent kit.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:02 am

Hormann insulated door here, fitted in 2000, never been seviced & has been faultless, both motor & door.

As for the question re insulation. i'm afraid I cant help too much as the double door (replacing two rickety singles) was installed within a few months of moving into the property, however I will say that our garage is adjoined to the property (not integral) & when we access the garage from inside the house that even in the depths of winter it doesnt feel overly cold or draughty.

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:09 am

Great news - Hormann doors ordered last night - added advantage is an increased width of 100mm on the 7x7 door - making the rear of the new car a little easier to get in !
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

Dewi

Post by Dewi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:04 pm

ZermattV wrote:Great news - Hormann doors ordered last night - added advantage is an increased width of 100mm on the 7x7 door - making the rear of the new car a little easier to get in !
I'm just starting on the process of garage door "shopping" at the moment, the 30 year old up and overs are way past their best, so time for new and was considering roller or sectional doors. If you can come back and leave us some feedback when they're done that would be great. There will be two 7ft plus wide doors to buy - could get expensive

wegras

Post by wegras » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:11 pm

First thing we did after moving in,a pair of roller doors ....brilliant
Only regret not considering removing the central pillar and fitting one fullwidth
Had that in previous house and it made a huge difference in flexibility of use and getting in :lol:
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:15 pm

Yep will do - order time is 4-6 weeks so it will be mid December before we have any feedback - I can reuse the motors from the existing system so this has helped to reduce the costs. Like yourself it's two 7 foot doors.
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:23 pm

[quote="Dewi"][quote="ZermattV"]Great news - Hormann doors ordered last night - added advantage is an increased width of 100mm on the 7x7 door - making the rear of the new car a little easier to get in ![/quote]

I'm just starting on the process of garage door "shopping" at the moment, the 30 year old up and overs are way past their best, so time for new and was considering roller or sectional doors. If you can come back and leave us some feedback when they're done that would be great. There will be two 7ft plus wide doors to buy - could get expensive[/quote]

I replaced two single doors with one big double door, so much more flexibility on parking options, the cost of the building works can be partly offset with the lesser cost of a double door & only one motor to buy etc.

Mine involved a builder to make up the piers to the right width & then teplacing two catnics with a custom RSJ etc, never looked back.

Tony

Dewi

Post by Dewi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:11 am

Yes, I had thought of one large single door to replace the two we have now but I'm not sure if the central pillar is structural - ie helping to hold the roof up. Another concern is that I work in the garage a lot and sometimes have one door open and the other one closed for security - the motorbike lives behind the closed one. We get a lot of Gypos around here so we have to be a bit careful with what they see, apart from the bike and the car there's quite a lot of tools in there. At the moment the up and overs have shoot bolts on all 4 corners of both doors, essentially locking them into the frames.

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:26 pm

Well we've had these fitted a month and what an almighty difference they have made - being sad i have been measuring the garage temperature and it hasn't dropped below 12 degC since we have fitted these- the much improved seal and insulation means the heat from the garage located boiler has been trapped in there.

The upshot is that the bedroom above the garage remains much warmer and we dont' notice the difference between this room and others in the house. We went for Hormann as the original doors were made by them and we could reuse the motors - very very impressed . Well worth the investment .
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST