Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Whole House Water Softener

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat May 13, 2017 12:38 am

Carol M wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 amNo, from the Ideal engineer when he came to service the boiler. I'd love to have one fitted, limescale is the bane of my life.
Ah, so from an Ideal engineer or "salesman" then! (As far as I can make out Ideal and Vaillant seem to be a part of the same group of companies anyway)!

My view would be to get a softener anyway if you want one, then deal with the doom-mongers as appropriate! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat May 13, 2017 7:22 am

Go for it Carol, I had a couple of taps that had almost seized up and the soft water freed them up completely.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

RubyBlueZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RubyBlueZ4MC » Tue May 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Carol M wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 am I'd love to have one fitted, limescale is the bane of my life.
+1 Same here!
Mike and I have been chatting about getting one of these installed (oh the joys of married life :lol: )
Gone: Interlagos Blue Z4 ///M Coupe
Remains: Red Skoda Yeti DSG Family Wagon! :o and the Hubby's Topaz Blue Z3 2.8 Facelift

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Tue May 23, 2017 11:04 pm

Carol M wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 am No, from the Ideal engineer when he came to service the boiler. I'd love to have one fitted, limescale is the bane of my life.

The guy is leading you up a garden path - what a load of tosh!!!!

We moved into our new house just under 2 years ago and the house was 8 months old. The seller was offering me the water softener then for 800 quid to which I said no because I was perry nieve to their benefits. I was not expecting him to remove the unit but he did. That did leave all the plumbing in place under the sink for me to fit one if I chose too.

Within a week of moving in I was asking the mrs why our brand new kettle is white over inside. I then realised why we needed the softener. Checked local hardness rating and we were very high up.

We ended up buying a Twintec S3 which is the model which Harvey's rebrand. I installed it myself and buy the block salt in annual purchases.

Recently fitted a tri flow tap, like others in here, to allow for "hard" water for drinking.

Brilliant investment albeit not cheap.
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed May 24, 2017 3:20 am

jamiez wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:04 pm We moved into our new house just under 2 years ago and the house was 8 months old. The seller was offering me the water softener then for 800 quid to which I said no because I was perry nieve to their benefits. I was not expecting him to remove the unit but he did. That did leave all the plumbing in place under the sink for me to fit one if I chose too.

Within a week of moving in I was asking the mrs why our brand new kettle is white over inside. I then realised why we needed the softener. Checked local hardness rating and we were very high up.

We ended up buying a Twintec S3 which is the model which Harvey's rebrand. I installed it myself and buy the block salt in annual purchases.

Recently fitted a tri flow tap, like others in here, to allow for "hard" water for drinking.

Just curious, but how did the cost of your Twintec S3 purchase compare with the house-seller's offer of £800?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Thu May 25, 2017 10:56 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:20 am
jamiez wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:04 pm We moved into our new house just under 2 years ago and the house was 8 months old. The seller was offering me the water softener then for 800 quid to which I said no because I was perry nieve to their benefits. I was not expecting him to remove the unit but he did. That did leave all the plumbing in place under the sink for me to fit one if I chose too.

Just curious, but how did the cost of your Twintec S3 purchase compare with the house-seller's offer of £800?
I purchase the TwinTec via a guy who supplies and fits them and also supplies the block salt for 995 - supply only. Since all the plumbing was under my sink it was a relatively straight forward job. The unit went faulty once but parts and labour covered under the manufactures warranty (2 years standard but can be extended) without any quibbles and all work done on site.
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu May 25, 2017 11:05 pm

jamiez wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:56 pmI purchase the TwinTec via a guy who supplies and fits them and also supplies the block salt for 995 - supply only. Since all the plumbing was under my sink it was a relatively straight forward job. The unit went faulty once but parts and labour covered under the manufactures warranty (2 years standard but can be extended) without any quibbles and all work done on site.
Thanks, that's about what I remember paying in 2002 - but ours had to be plumbed in.

Just glad we got it before we had a new kitchen and bathroom as the scale would have wrecked them!
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black