Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Has anyone used car buying sites??

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm struggling to sell my Crossfire to buy another Z4 so just wondered if anyone here has or would use the car buying websites?
webuyanycar.com
wewillbuyyourcar.com
sellittous.co.uk
I have done quotes with these sites but am dubious that they would be picky when it comes to pay out.

I haven't had a part ex quote from a garage yet so don't know what the differences would be. I would have more scope if I had the cash.

OR would I be better off just dropping the price I want for the Crossfire in my advert just a little higher than these sites quote?

Russ
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

-Tom-

Re: Has anyone used car buying sites??

Post by -Tom- » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:14 pm

These sites generally quote just slightly higher than part ex prices. Not personal experience but my step dad sold his car to we buy any car and he said it was the easiest thing he's done

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

sam1832

Post by sam1832 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:31 pm

I nearly sold my 3 series to wbac

The price online was £500 more than I had been offered px and probably £500 less than anythong similar was advertised on auto trader. Bear in mind the dealer who offered the px said its a lovely car in a great condition

Got the quote, happy, go down there with car for 12 o'clock appointment get there and wait till about 12:30 to be seen a guy comes out who wasnt very polite and put me in a worse mood. He then proceedes to point out every little mark, stone chip and scratch

Go back to the office

At 1:45 he says as the car is not in the same condition as you say it is we will offer you £500 less than the quote

I explained that I already had that offer elsewhere and the only reason I had come here was because of the quote. His answer was well go there then

Thanks for wasteing my time

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Gone - '03 3.0i Z4 Roadster Sterling Grey -
Z4 Project Thread
Now got E64 '57 650i - My 650i

the cueball

Post by the cueball » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:43 pm

sold a few cars to we buy any car, great way to do it, fast and no need to deal with idiots and tyre kickers...

most I've had knocked off any car is £100, which is 'normal' bartering in a private sale IMO...

no adverts needed, or phones calls or texts with: swop my car plz... etc etc

works for me...

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Have sold two cars to WBAC. Main advantage is it's very easy, but...
They will ALWAYS chip you down from the initial valuation. How much depends on the chap who you're dealing with.

My first sale to them was last year - an 06 plate CLK that was in very good condition for its age and mileage, but although 11 years old they still took money off for every panel that had marks on. If I hadn't been in a hurry to get rid then I would have walked away.

The second sale to them was last month - a very low mileage 61 plate Suzuki Swift that was great but did have a couple of 'clean' parking dints. This car immediately got hit with the £50 'admin fee'. Then the guy assessing this one missed the parking dints and slightly scraped alloy, but still chipped the price for a few - and I mean a few - stone ships.

Having said that both of them increased their final offers a when pushed.

I would say it works very well, but when you go in with your car be fully prepared to come back out with it.

You won't get any credit over the initial valuation for anything, no matter how immaculate or laden with extras your car is. But you will lose out by not having a full service history. (Don't know what they do for recent cars that only have an electronic service record with no service book...)

PS - for the Swift I also got initial valuations from Arnold Clark and wewantanycar (?) - but they were lower than I finally got from WBAC
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:45 pm

We sold our Kia Soul to wbac.com & were happy enough with the no agro transaction, you’d expect anyone to drop their offer if you turn up with curbed wheels/parking scuffs etc.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:41 pm

I guess this might be an unusual one, but this is my experience, we had a little Suzuki carry van at my work, which we had ten years, that everyone used to use as a runabout, but as time went one no one was using it, so I contacted WBAC and they quoted me £500 which I thought wasn't bad, took it down there, guy with a real attitude said they would only give me £250 as no one wants them, and he said they are a joke, so I got the hump and thought Id rather sell it on ebay to someone for £50, put it on ebay, I couldn't believe it I git inundated with messages,, finally sold for £1250, happy days
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:20 pm

My brother sold his Mustang to webuyanycar a few months ago. It was only 9 months old, but he had caught the front bumper on a kerb. He got it touched in by an alloy refurb guy, then took it down to the place for his appointment.

It was pitch black and raining. The guy didn't even look around it, phoned his boss and told him it was immaculate, then bought it.

He lost a lot of money on it, as he bought it new
But he said he got more than he would in a part exchange and didn't have to deal with any time wasters.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:54 pm

Slightly different story, my younger son's ancient Focus, the engine warning light was on, it ran like a bag of spanners, he'd kerbed every alloy. It hadn't had a service for 3 years. Inside looked like the bottom of a parrot's cage, outside it had loads of scratches on the paint... TBH I thought it was scrap but we phoned up to make an appointment, didn't bother to get an online valuation.

Guy came looked it over, took it for a test drive. I was amazed he made it back in one piece! Came back and said "I don't think we'll be able to give you much for this". He went into his office and punched some details into a computer, sat back looking a bit shocked and said "the computer says it's worth 1750..."

We nearly bit his hand off. I honestly think we robbed them! Paid the extra fifty quid or whatever for fast payment to get the hell out of their before they came to their senses :rofl:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:07 pm

I sold my Hyundai i30 to WBAC. Great if you want a quick no fuss sale without the all the hassles of selling privately. However, expect to be knocked down on their initial online offer. If you have the option of part-ex then I wouldn't bother.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Get a valuation off WBAC and then wait. You'll find that over the next 2 or 3 weeks they'll email you with improved offers. Might cover off what they'll chip you down for stone chips etc
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:38 pm

Agree with what has been said by most others about WBAC. Sold our X1 to the Nottingham branch. The car was immaculate but they still managed to reduce the price by £250. I think the guys at the point of purchase are paid bonuses for finding reasons to pay less than the original quote. However, I was still into pocket comparing what I would have got in part-ex. Have you tried Evans Halshaw? We got a better deal from them when selling a Skoda Roomster than WBAC and also what was offered in part-ex.

djstan

Post by djstan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:56 pm

Walked away from WBAC when we went there having done an online offer and was told that they'd have to knock the price down "as they need to make money on the car".

Bye then! Sold privately in the end for about twice their offer; won't even consider them again.
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey