Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

So, how is that no smoking law working (UK)?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
pvr
Legend
Legend

Re: So, how is that no smoking law working (UK)?

Post by pvr » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:53 pm

Healthcare limitation is already in place. People who are obese are refused operations until they lose the weight.

Regarding the government meddling - depends on where you stand I suppose, but those laws are needed to protect other people. Just as there are noise limiting laws. Self governing of people does not work as those that are addicted will never take the other views into consideration
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:06 pm

20ducks wrote:I am a reformed smoker...Hi, I'm Greg and I haven't had a smoke since '92. I don't agree with governments meddling with the right to smoke or not and believe legislation banning smoking is rediculous, be that as it may. I hate the sin tax on booze and tobacco products as well. What is next, giving less health care to those that smoke or drink or that are morbidly obese? Anyway, off the soapbox now. I was just curious as to how this was working out. Thanks for the comments.
I have never smoked and being in a smoke filled room will often send me into a coughing fit. That said I do agree with Greg on this point.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:13 pm

it's a difficult question really... I mean I like to go out to pubs... do the smokers have more right to smoke or do I have more right to clean air? Either way someone loses. You could say "if you dont like it dont go", but then you could say the same to the smokers. I suppose by taking the smokers choice away it is not affecting my health, but vice versa it does affect the health of the non smoker. I am on the side of the smoker I guess, but only just.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:39 pm

Well, I see both sides but couldn't agree with ducks more in that government is too damn meddling. A bar is...a bar - drinking, smoking, music..I think there could be a happy medium: why can't there be a separate room where smokers can go? Why do they have to go outside? Establishments sell more alcohol when smokers are allowed to indulge so I know they're not happy about the ban. Workplace is a different story I think, and more consideration should be taken.
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:48 pm

In the time since the ban, I have been in small restaurants and bars I would not have even considered going before and they have never done such a good business as they do now.

Smokers are only one step up from drug addicts .... :fuelfire: :poke: :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:09 pm

pvr wrote:In the time since the ban, I have been in small restaurants and bars I would not have even considered going before and they have never done such a good business as they do now.

Smokers are only one step up from drug addicts .... :fuelfire: :poke: :D
Well then, that's a good thing :) . I've worked hundreds of calls in bars and the smoking ones are always rockin' with business - particularly ones with live bands. Personally, I don't care either way. If I go to a restaurant, I don't want to smell it while I'm eating, if I go out partying, I expect it and it's not a big deal :drinking: . I must confess to appreciating it out of grocery stores and the like..but bars..smoke away!! :lol:
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:10 pm

fire-n-ice wrote:Well, I see both sides but couldn't agree with ducks more in that government is too damn meddling. A bar is...a bar - drinking, smoking, music..I think there could be a happy medium: why can't there be a separate room where smokers can go? Why do they have to go outside? Establishments sell more alcohol when smokers are allowed to indulge so I know they're not happy about the ban. Workplace is a different story I think, and more consideration should be taken.
Separate rooms were tried here.... they didn't work.

Color

Post by Color » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:12 pm

I tend to go with the non-smokers on this matter.

The ban on indoor smoking in public places was made here in Norway many years ago, they were among the first and the reason was not to protect casual visitors looking for a bit of fun, but the people working in such places.

Imagine having to work in a dense smoke filled room for six hours each bloody work day. It's bound to affect you in some way.
The other positive effect is that people who don't smoke will have a better experience going out as well. And the bad smell does not stick in your clothing afterwards.

If smokers insist on smoking uninhibited, even though they know smoking affects those around them ( i.e. it is not a strictly personal matter ), personally I don't think that's the best trait a person can have.
I don't care if someone want to smoke or not, it's their life, but I think the least one can do is go smoke where it don't bother people.

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:03 pm

I chose not to go where smoking is allowed. Private (small and large) businesses should be allowed to make their own policies for their employees. If you don't like it, go someplace else. That is what I do. Everyone wins this way and we have less laws (and lawyers) involved.