Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Why I Have A Dog...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Why I Have A Dog...

Post by WLH » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:27 pm

GREENVILLE, Maine - Thumper, a black Labrador retriever, is getting credit for saving a Greenville man when a fire swept through his home.

Roland Cote said his wife and their 7-year-old grandson were away when the blaze started early Sunday in a converted two-story garage. He said Thumper grabbed him by the arm to wake him, leaving just enough time for him to dial 911 before fleeing the fast-moving fire.

While the dog is the hero, a cat is the bad guy in this story.

Cote said the fire marshal investigator believes the blaze was started when Princess, the family cat, tipped over a kerosene lantern. Cote says he and his pets escaped safely, but he says Princess did get her tail singed by the flames.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why I Have A Dog...

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:53 pm

... a smoke alarm is cheaper ;)
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:59 pm

^^^true, but a smoke alarm wont give you kisses :)
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:53 am

I miss my doggies...

I had to give them away when my x-wife left... couldn't care for them on my own. :(
Member ZSCCA

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:00 am

Aww how sad :cry: . I'm going to be a mess when my baby passes on. She's my avatar

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:08 am

Sorry to hear that, AJ... I love dogs but I live alone and just wouldn't have the time to look after them enough. Would love a lab though!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:32 am

sp3ctre wrote:Sorry to hear that, AJ... I love dogs but I live alone and just wouldn't have the time to look after them enough. Would love a lab though!
That was exactly my problem. The white one (Bailey) lives next door now, so I get to see her here and there. But my boy (the black one) Dallas is across town and I haven't seen him since Christmas. Dallas is so awesome! He has an awesome personality. He loved to play and can clear 5 feet. He's also very fast... when I would take him to the doggie park he would always get the other dogs to chase him and he would slow down while looking back just until they were 2 feet behind him then take off, then look back and slow down, then take off... it was hilarious! Only a Whippit could keep up with him. I think he is a Black Lab and Greyhound mix. He used to always cuddle up with me in bed at night (killed my sex life when I was married, but it was adorable). I have a pic here somewhere on a disk, give me a minute and I'll post it...
Member ZSCCA

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:37 am

Member ZSCCA

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:44 am

It was a habit he learned as a puppy...

BTW :hijacked: sorry...

Member ZSCCA

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:05 am

And he hated taking a bath....

So I tried taking a shower with him, and he was kosher with that...

We were peas in a pod!!!!!!!...

Here is my favorite puppy pic of him...

Member ZSCCA

Veruca

Post by Veruca » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:34 am

They're like children. We could go so many places if we didn't have them (i refuse to kennel them) but it's worth it. Our male poodle Bart sleeps with his his head on on my pillow and the female sleeps at my feet - I can't sleep without them. They're my babies!

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:38 am

HEHE. He's a cutie!

I agree with your statement that you can go more places without them. I've gotten out so much in the past year. They really do tie you down a bit... but you are also right in that it's worth it!
Member ZSCCA

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:29 pm

What a cutie pie AJ! Love that one puppy pic too. You must miss him a lot :(
Veruca, you can barely see your baby's eyes! And all those curls - adorable! I won't kennel mine either, but she doesn't let anyone else touch her, I did it once to go to Helen with my parents because they're usually the ones who take care of her for me in the event I'm not home and it was a disaster. She lost weight, wouldn't eat - never again. When she finally passes on though, I'm through with animals for a long time. They are just like kids and share many of the same responsibilities. And I don't have kids for those exact reasons.
Great pics y'all!
T.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:45 pm

Hey guys great pics - how does the poddle see anything??...AJ - that dog was your soulmate, you can tell :sweetheart:

fire-n-ice, would you seriously not have another one? Dogs are a big responsibility, cats are better at least you can leave them alone, they are much more self sufficient, especially if you have a cat flap.

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:41 pm

Wondermike wrote: fire-n-ice, would you seriously not have another one? Dogs are a big responsibility, cats are better at least you can leave them alone, they are much more self sufficient, especially if you have a cat flap.
I do have a small, very small place in my heart for cats but I am truly a dog person. I like the English Mastiff, it has stolen my heart! But they have special needs and are very expensive. I know I'll have another one day, but I want to be truly free eventually for at least a little while. Cats are no doubt easier to deal with but I like something big to snuggle up to :sweetheart: , the extra security helps also.
T.