Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pensions and getting to 55

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:13 pm

Seeing as the average age of peeps on here seems to be in the fifties, I was wondering if anyone has taken their 25% tax-free lump of their PPP when reaching 55?
If so, what were the fees from the pension provider?
I am seriously thinking of taking my 25% when I get to 55 (very soon) just so I can spend it before I get too old to enjoy it.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:21 pm

I'm older than that. :(

I was able to take one work-place pension at 51 (just before Gordon Brown changed the age limit from 50 to 55) then a couple more at 55 because of the scheme limitations, and haven't regretted it at all. I figured I'd rather have the 25% tax free than get a few quid a month for as long as I lasted that would be taxed! And I'd have to last a long time before I actually broke even. :lol:

Sorry I can't offer any help regarding fees though as all of mine were work-place pensions.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:42 pm

Took mine at 55, bought a Porsche 718 Boxster, lifelong dream.

I transferred 2 final salary and a small private pension into a drawdown pension. IFA has to do due diligence first which is costly as has to be outsourced, set up costs were high initially, but we agreed a lower fee. From then on, no fees for taking the 25% or further drawdowns, but obviously ongoing fees for IFA and investment managers.

If taking your 25% from a final salary pension I don't think there are any fees, my fees were for moving my pensions, set up etc.

Was a no brainer for me, no kids/wife so my final salary pensions would have died with me, now the money goes to whoever I wish.
Personally, I'd seek professional, independent advice, normally an initial chat is free.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:50 pm

OK, thanks. Mine are Private pensions, as I've been self-employed for 30 years. I can draw £50k as tax-free and keep the rest in-situ.
I do like to keep my money (the little I have) close by in case I have a hankering to buy something. I know it doesn't make fiscal sense; 1/2% savings at present and 15% pension fund, but it's just the way I am :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

GJ1

Post by GJ1 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:12 am

Some pension providers charge a fee when you access tax-free cash but many don't. Probably worth checking with your existing provider(s) first.

If there is a fee I wouldn't have thought it should be anymore than £250. From memory I think I've seen a provider charge £130. They are not giving advice, so it's more to cover their 'admin' costs.
07 Z4C 3.0si sport sapphire black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:16 am

I was told it is a legal requirement to get independent pensions advice before you can draw down a works pension. I have had to do that. Initial fee is around £250. That may not apply to an independent pension. I'm in the process of taking my 25% out of my main works pension right now. Looking forward to receiving the money, though I plan to invest it in property not spend it. That way I can draw an income from it and the kids can have anything that's left after the nursing homes and tax man have finished nicking it. :wink:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:06 am

buzyg wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:16 am I was told it is a legal requirement to get independent pensions advice before you can draw down a works pension. I have had to do that. Initial fee is around £250. That may not apply to an independent pension. I'm in the process of taking my 25% out of my main works pension right now. Looking forward to receiving the money, though I plan to invest it in property not spend it. That way I can draw an income from it and the kids can have anything that's left after the nursing homes and tax man have finished nicking it. :wink:
I believe the only legal requirement to get independent financial advice is when transferring out of a final salary scheme, into a SIPP for instance and then only for pots in excess of £30k, but there may be other situations which I am not aware of. As usual, whenever there is money involved, there are plenty of scrupulous and unscrupulous folk ready to take a slice.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:28 am

buzyg wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:16 am I was told it is a legal requirement to get independent pensions advice before you can draw down a works pension. I have had to do that. Initial fee is around £250. That may not apply to an independent pension. I'm in the process of taking my 25% out of my main works pension right now. Looking forward to receiving the money, though I plan to invest it in property not spend it. That way I can draw an income from it and the kids can have anything that's left after the nursing homes and tax man have finished nicking it. :wink:
And you save on the newly introduced (initial) 1.25% tax as well as rental income is for unknown reason except
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Benderloch

Post by Benderloch » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:18 am

Find yourself a good independent financial advisor and be prepared to pay for his or her advice. Best thing I ever did.
E86 Silver Grey Red leather, Piano Black trim.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:13 am

pvr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:28 am
And you save on the newly introduced (initial) 1.25% tax as well as rental income is for unknown reason except
You wouldn't pay that anyway as you don't pay NI on pension income.
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:06 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:13 am
pvr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:28 am
You wouldn't pay that anyway as you don't pay NI on pension income.
But you do on the new tax once through the system. Pension income is also taxed with this new tax (when it is no longer called NI)
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:40 pm

pvr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:06 pm But you do on the new tax once through the system. Pension income is also taxed with this new tax (when it is no longer called NI)
Not according to KPMG - it'll only apply if you continue to work after pension age, and then only on the earned income, not pension income
https://home.kpmg/uk/en/home/insights/2 ... -levy.html
Extract from what KPMG wrote: So, what do we know about the HSC Levy? The 1.25 percent will apply to the same income as National Insurance which means earned income such as salary and self-employed profits but not unearned income such as pension, rental or investment income. It will also have the same starting thresholds as National Insurance, will be uncapped and will fall on employers, employees and the self-employed.

From April 2023, the HSC Levy will be distinguished from National Insurance and we will see it as a separate line on our payslips and on our self-assessment tax returns for the self-employed. From then, the HSC Levy will also apply to those working but above state pension age (in contrast to National Insurance which does not apply to earnings after retirement age).
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:51 pm

Right, so that reads that up to 2023 I won’t have to pay that on my dividend income from my company, but afterwards I will.

The newspaper article I read had it wrong then
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:35 pm

So, I spoke with an IFA this week (one that originally sold me the pensions as he sent me a letter). All good apart from the 3% of my pot he wants to change my pensions to be what I want. That's £10,000 on top of the fees from the provider :o
That's not going to happen. I have a year. I'm sure I can sort it myself in that time.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:21 pm

Negotiate on the percentage, that's what I did.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image