Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Insurance valuation BMW Z4 E85 3.0 manual

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Doonbar

Post by Doonbar » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:57 pm

Hi there,

Just wondered whether anyone had any tips on getting a reasonable value on Z4 which has recently been written off in a an accident?

They have offered 2.5 k but there is no way I can replace my Z4 for that. It was a very beautiful white 53 plate Z4 with CSL rep 19" alloys.

Anyone had any similar experiences and managed to get a fair amount out of the insurance company?

Cheers,

Doon

ps Was amazed at how well the Z protected me in the crash which was head on at approx 40mph...

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:01 pm

Collect links to ads on autotrader/here/pistoheads etc of cars of similar age/mileage/conditions and send them to the insurer stating this is what it costs to replace.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Doonbar

Post by Doonbar » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:39 pm

Thank you for the response ... yes I will start compiling a dossier to go back with ... of like for likes.... :)

I had the CSL rep alloys on there so it looked really sweet and was in really good condition !!!

I was hoping to get nearer 4k but not sure if I am being unrealistic... it was 53 plate 3.0 manual with a 129k miles....

I am sure it will cost more than that to replace it though so...

z4.jpg
z4.jpg (173.67 KiB) Viewed 490 times

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:17 pm

Advertised prices are silly high at the moment, I suspect actual sold prices are quite a bit lower.

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:33 pm

doubt the cost of replacing the wheels will be insured, unless specifically mentioned as insured items. most places give you market value of the standard car excluding any modifications.

as its the oldest E85, with quite high miles, i think you'd be lucky to get more than £3,000 for it. but as mentioned, send across examples of similar cars at similar prices. never accept the first offer.

as with all car insurance, it requires persistent phone calls to get the best offer.

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:47 pm

I hope you told the insurance company you had changed the wheels when you insured it otherwise I wouldn’t mention it to loud🤫

rdm05z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:52 pm

I agree with previous posts on advice. And being in the states can't really add any suggestions to what has been said. However, I am glad you were able to walk away from the accident. Life is short and as humans sometimes we put to much on the value items and not on the most important one our health. Items can be replaced our bodies can't. Good luck with your search and discussion with insurance company.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

Doonbar

Post by Doonbar » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:26 am

Thank you all for the responses / kind words of encouragement.

I am going to prepare a spreadsheet at the weekend and go back with some cold hard stats to fight my corner.

On first lookup the prices are really really varied at the minute and deffo higher than I was expecting but I guess that could be a good thing under these circumstances.

The accident was not my fault and the other insurers have accepted liability so it's just an argument between me and them for the value.

Ideally I just want my Z back but I know that can't happen as it's totalled.... : - (

Jamie25

Post by Jamie25 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:59 pm

I technically wrote mine off in December last year by driving through one too many floods, E85 3.0 with about 100k, 2003. They offered around £2500 initially but after a couple of weeks back and forth they gave me £4k.
I sent several adverts and 'sold' listings from ebay and argued the point. Mine was in really good condition as I'd refreshed all the suspension and done all the usual engine gaskets etc. As soon as I argued the price they admitted it was low. It helped that the loss adjuster they'd sent out valued it at 4k, but that didn't stop them making the silly low offer in the first place. Just keep at them.
I bought it back from them for just over £1k I think and replaced the engine. Been happy as Larry since. Good luck! 😉
E85 3.0 M54 Titanium Silver. 88k. Cotteswolds.