Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Benefits of remap?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ihadablackdog

Benefits of remap?

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:07 pm

So my insurance is due for renewal on the 18th and I'm still undecided which way to go:

Stay with current insurance at £180 but no option for remap, or jump elsewhere, I think LV were about £240 and remap makes no difference (so in reality, an additional £60).

If go with LV and dont remap, then thats a wasted £60, but if I stay where I am, and decide to get a remap, then that could be costly to change at that time.

Was looking at the Celtic stage 3 (take my 20i to 280bhp for c£300 I think). So, apart from bhp and torque, what other benefits are there to remapping? Do they improve mpg?

Does it put a 10yr old engine under too much stress?

Is it the same map that a 28i has, or tweaked?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Benefits of remap?

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:38 am

Mine wasn't Celtic but similar, taking it to a rolling road figure of 279bhp. That is over the 28i figure but still well within safe tolerances.
I find the extra torque a revelation and makes the car what it really should have been in the first place.
Day to day, on my local back roads I am not finding more than about 1 mpg improvement, mostly due to the joy of driving it.
However, a long run from Norfolk to the Lakes, on major roads all the way, and with economy in mind, I sat around 80mph the whole way and returned an average of 48mpg, including the run back home and one day of pottering around the area.
I believe the extra torque does help as it saves the odd gear change without placing any extra stress on the car.
Remap plus insurance is going to equate to around £30 a month for the first year, then just a fiver a month moving forward.
Go on, you know it makes sense.
You can always have it returned to standard at any point.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

ihadablackdog

Benefits of remap?

Post by ihadablackdog » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:20 am

Thankyou
2011 E89 sDrive20i

rdgreen

Benefits of remap?

Post by rdgreen » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:35 pm

Not that I'm advocating law breaches etc but how would any insurance company know that you have remapped your car, in the event of an accident, unless you tell them beforehand? Do they confiscate the ECU and test it? I would imagine that would only occur in the most extreme incidents involving serious injury or death? I had an MGB that was hotted up considerably internally, but looked stock. When I asked my insurance company if they needed to be notified the response was that "if it's not externally obvious (turbo/supercharger/NOS etc, how would we know?" I took the hint.
Sterling Grey 2004 e85 3.0i manual.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Benefits of remap?

Post by mmm-five » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:43 am

In modern BMWs it's relatively simple for BMW to check if the ECU map is standard or not, and it even records number of times it's been flashed on the 'ECU Flash Counter'.

Some tuners claim to be able to lock the counter, so that it doesn't increment each time you change it...but others have countered that if BMW/insurer is suspicious, they can interrogate other sensor logs to see if the engine has been producing more boost than standard.

Whether this applies to the e89 generation or not I could not say, but I know BMW are checking this on later F3x models (N47/B47, etc.).

If this is the case, then a simple check by the insurer would let them know whether they need to investigate further. Probably not worth it for a £1000 claim with a £500 excess, but for a potential write off or 3rd party claim they may think it is worth it.

Probably not worth lying to save a few £££ per year.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

ihadablackdog

Benefits of remap?

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:30 pm

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, would rather declare it and know I’m covered in the event of an accident as we all know they will use any excuse to wriggle.

So I took the insurance with LV (had to phone up and pay, pesky website kept rejecting my payment last night).

So I now have the option to remap without having to change insurer. Would just need to ring LV and make the change over the phone.

Incentive to get it done sooner rather than later in case LV change their minds haha
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Benefits of remap?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:16 pm

The 'generic' maps; Celtic, Superchips (remap kings) and the like are probably the same software, as they all quote exactly the same figures. I would say pay your money and take your pick (depending on their policy if it all goes pear-shaped shortly after).
If you want to see your car being thrashed to within an inch of it's life on a RR while they upload the program (and potentially tweak it), you can pay more and go that way.
I had my car serviced and given a once-over by my local BMW independent guy before I booked the remap, just in case. I also changed the plugs and air filter. My attitude was that I wanted my car to be in the best shape it could be before adding 100bhp and 150nm of torque to it.

I don't see the age of the car really being an issue. I, however, would not increase the power on an engine with high miles. That is, of course, just my opinion.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ihadablackdog

Benefits of remap?

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:53 pm

I was thinking of asking a local garage to give it a check beforehand. Would probably only check obvious things, but what’s obvious for a mechanic is wizardry to me 😂

My car has about 75k miles.

Would want a generic one that has been tried and tested.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

Benefits of remap?

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:12 pm

So 280bhp and 290lb/ft is ok on this engine (20i).

I guess they install the software that they know works on other cars and my car would be “around” those figures.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

Benefits of remap?

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:22 pm

Out of interest, why do they offer different levels of tuning, ie stage 1,2 and 3?

Why would someone do stage 1 and not a higher one? Is it purely personal preference (how do you get a preference without trying them all) and does the higher one imply other work is required or ok with an otherwise standard car?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Stevo1987

Benefits of remap?

Post by Stevo1987 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:32 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:22 pm Out of interest, why do they offer different levels of tuning, ie stage 1,2 and 3?

Why would someone do stage 1 and not a higher one? Is it purely personal preference (how do you get a preference without trying them all) and does the higher one imply other work is required or ok with an otherwise standard car?
Err.....Money?
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

ihadablackdog

Benefits of remap?

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:44 pm

Stevo1987 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:32 pm
ihadablackdog wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:22 pm Out of interest, why do they offer different levels of tuning, ie stage 1,2 and 3?

Err.....Money?
Didn’t think of that.

Pretty sure I had a quote from Celtic a few years ago for the stage 3 and iirc it was in the £300 range. Don’t know what the stage 1 or 2 cost.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Benefits of remap?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:06 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:44 pm Pretty sure I had a quote from Celtic a few years ago for the stage 3 and iirc it was in the £300 range. Don’t know what the stage 1 or 2 cost.
Think there is a bit of marketing in there. I know that Remap Kings (they now own Superchips who are the godfathers of plug and play software remapping) do 2 maps. One is to improve MPG, the other is the 'performance' map; same figures as all the others (280ish BHP, 290 torques).

TBH they can tell you any figures they like, as you are never going to see your printout. It also doesn't matter. What matters is it will transform the performance and driveability of the car across the rev range. You will very much notice the difference. :thumbsup:

I have an 18i, so the factory figures were 156bhp (can't remember the torque). I equate the remap to like the car being released from a forced strangulation. The N20 was designed by BMW to have 250bhp as standard, the lesser models were 'held back' for purely marketing reasons.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

ihadablackdog

Benefits of remap?

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:28 pm

Yours is now 280bhp?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Benefits of remap?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:59 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:28 pm Yours is now 280bhp?
That's what they told me it would be; I have no idea and don't really care. All I know is it goes much better at ALL revs and speeds. These people do seem to like to impress with 'headline' figures, so I would guess these figures were achieved with high octane fuel. Normal unleaded (95 RON) probably drops this off quite a bit. My guess is a max of around 260 at 6000rpm on 95 RON. As has been said many times it's the much higher and more linear torque which is more noticeable throughout.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold