Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Jumping from a M140i to MX5

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:45 pm

Hi all,

I've been doing some reflecting recently on my M140i ownership and coming to the conclusion swayed by the current boyant second hand car values it might be a good time to move it on :o

Whilst I've always liked the car I've never really gelled with it and it's never been a car I've wanted to take out just for the drive. The B58 engine is always a peach of an engine but really that's the only thing that makes the car, other than that it's just a 1 Series underneath. On reflection it's a car I maybe shouldn't have bought at the time :roll:

I'm also being swayed that since parting with the Z3 in 2017 I've missed having a 2 seater soft top and woud like a bit of fun back in the motoring.

This has got me thinking to flog the 1 series and wait a while whist car values settle down and then finding an MX5. I'm not after anything powerful but something with overall ability thats still reasonably economical to own/run and I think the MX5 fits the bill.

Back to the M140 I'm not looking to sell privately as I can see it could be potentially a PITA so looking at WBAC, Motorway or Wizzle. Problem is I really don't know what would be a good price for the car considering it's condition and very low mileage. As mine is a 3 door manual I've been told its relatively rare compared to the the 5 door Auto's. Looking at the classifieds and private sales 16 plate cars are going for anything between 17 to 20k with 40 to 50k on the clock.

I did get a quote off WBAC back in June with an offer of 16k which seemed a bit low to me so I sort of changed my mind at the time.

Will ultra low mileage really make that much of a difference or should I expect the going average market value for a car of that age and general mileage ?

Thanks,

Tim.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:48 pm

Just put it on Motorway and see what the best bids come back as.. you still don't need to commit to selling unless you are happy with the price and at least you know then you could probably safely add 2k and sell it privately if you wanted more.. i think the auc dealers will love a super low mileage mint model and it may attract a bit of a bidding war until it reaches its ceiling
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:45 pm

I don't mean to sound harsh but it's only worth getting an MX5 if you're actually going to use it, if it sits around doing nothing for 4 years like your 1er, you're just going to be wasting more money - how much has the 140 cost you per mile in depreciation?
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:59 pm

Thanks the replies, not coming across as harsh Perry, I can see what you're saying, but I think with the 1 Series it's never really floated my boat and why it's better getting rid and wanting something more fun to own that will get used more.

Tim.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:12 pm

Seems a good idea Tim. Obvs you’ve lost a chunk on the 1er but it’s not always a straight ride owning a car is it, you sway this way and that as with most things in life. Nobody gets it right all the time. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:15 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:59 pm Thanks the replies, not coming across as harsh Perry, I can see what you're saying, but I think with the 1 Series it's never really floated my boat and why it's better getting rid and wanting something more fun to own that will get used more.

Tim.
I’ve got a novel idea, why don’t you get a z4? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:03 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:12 pm Seems a good idea Tim. Obvs you’ve lost a chunk on the 1er but it’s not always a straight ride owning a car is it, you sway this way and that as with most things in life. Nobody gets it right all the time. :thumbsup:
Cars are always moneypits John :)

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:05 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:15 pm
TitanTim wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:59 pm Thanks the replies, not coming across as harsh Perry, I can see what you're saying, but I think with the 1 Series it's never really floated my boat and why it's better getting rid and wanting something more fun to own that will get used more.

Tim.
I’ve got a novel idea, why don’t you get a z4? :?
Rob
What, like this one Rob :lol:

Or maybe,

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:19 am

Completely with you Tim. Flog the 1 series and go for the MX5. They are a whole heap of fun. :driving: :thumbsup: Z4 and MX5 are very different to drive. So having both is not an issue. :D

Be aware though. The mx5 will depreciate, as there are millions of them. They are also not as well put together as BMW, from my experience. The low running cost and fun more than makes up for this though. :wink:

JoshsZ4M

Post by JoshsZ4M » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:24 am

Hey Tim, not sure if you’ve seen my sales post for my Z4M roadster, but wondered if that might tickle your two seat roadster taste buds? 😃 just price dropped as well, arguably has a much greater sense of occasion than an MX5… not that I have anything against them mind you.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=130845

Interestingly on the 140i, have you reached out to a few main dealers yet? I bet they’d be snapping your arm off with a decent price right now 👌 Motorway is a great tool, but right now I bet if you reached out personally to your local they’d give you a great price
Current -

-2003 TVR Cerbera AJPV8 :driving:
-1986 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant

Gone - 2006 ///MR, Interlagos blue with extended black leather

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:48 am

buzyg wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:19 am Completely with you Tim. Flog the 1 series and go for the MX5. They are a whole heap of fun. :driving: :thumbsup: Z4 and MX5 are very different to drive. So having both is not an issue. :D

Be aware though. The mx5 will depreciate, as there are millions of them. They are also not as well put together as BMW, from my experience. The low running cost and fun more than makes up for this though. :wink:
Thanks alot, unfortunately whilst it's a good time to sell its not a great time to buy :| looking at secondhand prices they are pretty boyant at the moment, I'm hoping values might soften somewhat with winter approaching.

I had a Mazda for 20 years and the only thing it needed was a replacement battery and a blown bulb apart from that it was pretty bullet proof over the years.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:55 am

JoshsZ4M wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:24 am Hey Tim, not sure if you’ve seen my sales post for my Z4M roadster, but wondered if that might tickle your two seat roadster taste buds? 😃 just price dropped as well, arguably has a much greater sense of occasion than an MX5… not that I have anything against them mind you.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=130845

Interestingly on the 140i, have you reached out to a few main dealers yet? I bet they’d be snapping your arm off with a decent price right now 👌 Motorway is a great tool, but right now I bet if you reached out personally to your local they’d give you a great price
Thanks Josh, just had a look at your Z4M, its a lovely motor and cracking colour and thanks for the offer. I'm probably looking for something a bit more economical to run and with lower insurance and tax bracket to be honest but good luck with the sale :thumbsup:

I think as you say using Motorway will be the way to go especially if there are dealers that might bid against one another and bump the £££s up a little.

I did think of giving my local a dealer a call but I thnk an auction might possibly be a better bet.

Tim.

gov

Post by gov » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:07 pm

Hi Tim - I know where you're coming from - however whilst the MX5 is a fun car it's not particularly exciting and the new model's looks' have gone all " Japanese " and there are thousands out there mostly driven by hairdressers lol

I loved my old E85 but never really warmed to it apart from the performance

in my old age now I've come to a compromise - I have a daily driver ( Dacia Sandero Stepway ) boring but reliable and functional and easy to drive ( according to WBAC today still worth £8340 !! - it only cost £9k new in 2018 ! ) also have an import 3 litre V6 Toyota Alphard - fabulous comfort used as a camper day van

and finally my toy - a red 1991 Lotus Elan - may be 30 years old but still has the looks and drives like a go kart - and very rare and appreciates in value - looks a bit like the old MX5 but goes like a train :)
Attachments
IMG_20200906_143425.jpg
IMG_20200906_143425.jpg (125.82 KiB) Viewed 502 times
IMG_20201112_110316.jpg
IMG_20201112_110316.jpg (115.15 KiB) Viewed 502 times

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:45 pm

gov wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:07 pm Hi Tim - I know where you're coming from - however whilst the MX5 is a fun car it's not particularly exciting and the new model's looks' have gone all " Japanese " and there are thousands out there mostly driven by hairdressers lol

I loved my old E85 but never really warmed to it apart from the performance

in my old age now I've come to a compromise - I have a daily driver ( Dacia Sandero Stepway ) boring but reliable and functional and easy to drive ( according to WBAC today still worth £8340 !! - it only cost £9k new in 2018 ! ) also have an import 3 litre V6 Toyota Alphard - fabulous comfort used as a camper day van

and finally my toy - a red 1991 Lotus Elan - may be 30 years old but still has the looks and drives like a go kart - and very rare and appreciates in value - looks a bit like the old MX5 but goes like a train :)
Thanks for the piccies :thumbsup: that's a fab Lotus Elan :)

I've never actually driven an MX5 so I might not actually like it :? but there's not too much of a choice out of there if like yourself I widen the field to older/classic cars. Think I just need to have a go in the Mazda and see if it appeals. I'm basing the choice mostly with it being in a similar mould to my previous Z3 for size etc albeit a more modern car. The Fiat 124 is also slightly on my radar which is basically an MX5 underneath. Apart from that there's not a great deal of choice thats less than 5 years old unless I go Boxster but then its running costs etc.

Tim.

M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:31 pm

TitanTim, hi Tim - would you like a close up look at my MX-5? It's a 2016 ND 2.0 Sport Recaro. I believe that you're based in Stafford so this would be easy to arrange. Also happy to take you out in it. It's currently standard, but I intend to start discussions with BBR about modifying it next spring. I've already been taken out for a drive by someone with exactly the same model but the BBR Super 200 package added to it.

I can also talk to you about my experience of moving on my M135i and the comparison of both vehicles. My M135i was very late (2016), three door manual, and low (sub 20k) mileage so I would expect your M140i to fetch a bit more - might be a useful indication for you at least.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport