Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bargain resin 3D printer on Amazon

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Conrod

Post by Conrod » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:02 am

I've been considering adding a resin printer to my 3D printer collection, and came across this one last night:

QIDI TECH S-Box 10.1" Resin 3D Printer
Qidi S-Box.jpg
Qidi S-Box.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 311 times
The LCD screen is 2k colour rather than the latest 4k mono, but print volume is more important to me than speed, and this one is a massive (for resin printers anyway) 215mmx130mmx200mm.

It's built like the proverbial brick s***house, and in my view at £349 it's a steal - so I've hit the button...
Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

Old-Duckman

Post by Old-Duckman » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:12 am

Looks interesting and at that price, why not.

Since you have a printer “collection” I’m sure you have FFM (filament printers for those who may not know) printers. Personally I prefer an FFM printer over resin printers for most jobs.

We do a lot of printing where I work. We currently have several FormLabs printers (Form2 and Form3) But we also have 2 Raise 3D printers. A Pro2 and a Pro2 plus. I almost never use the FormLabs printers anymore. They are messy (even though we use the FormClean cleaner) they are temperamental are prone to throwing errors and even interrupting prints. The resins have a shelf life and the cleaning agent (IPA is what we use) is expensive and used IPA has disposal issues.

Yes you can get very detailed prints from a resin printer but for what we print (window and door extrusions for prototypes) the Raise 3D printers are more than adequate for our purposes. There are far more options for printing materials too, though we use mostly PLA and occasionally PC. We have tried most of FormLabs resins and find their standard and durable to be the most useful for our purposes.

Since we have been working from home since March of 2020, they purchased the Raise Pro 2 for my home office...nice tool to have around the house.

Have fun with your printer...make sure you have enough nitrile gloves around...I hate dealing with resin!

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:43 am

I have my original cheap Geeetech Prusa i3 clone (now ia parts donor), a modified Creality CR-10s (for large prints) and a heavily modified e3D BigBox (totally rebuilt as a fast CoreXY printer, with a pending dual head conversion).

The reason for looking at a resin printer was for smaller, more detailed jobs and for medium sized parts that need to look good and/or won't deform or decay in strong sunlight. So, like you, the two FDM/FFM printers will continue to be my main workhorses.

Apart from the small build volumes of most resin printers, the fumes and mess associated with resins has to date put me off, but this one's capable of reasonable print volumes (albeit probably with 25-30 hour print times!) and I've ordered some Anycubic low odour non-VOC resin. Spookily, Amazon had a lightning deal on the resin last night and I grabbed two 1l bottles for £20 each - bonus!

I also have a large box of nitrile gloves in the garage! :)
Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i