Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Should I buy a Cat-S E86

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
marcop123

Should I buy a Cat-S E86

Post by marcop123 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:51 pm

I’m in negotiations for an e86 but is recorded as a cat-s.
Last edited by marcop123 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy a Cat-S E86

Post by Pondrew » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:23 pm

I personally would NEVER buy a a CAT-S car. If nothing else, it will be hard to sell on and the insurance will be a pain.

You said the inspection shows all structural parts to be original. A CAT-S is structural damage, so that would worry me too. The car may have been repaired fantastically, but how do you know? Also how does the next owner know?
If it is VERY cheap, then maybe worth a punt, but from what I've seen lately, cars on a CAT anything write-off are not cheap enough IMO.
HTH
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Should I buy a Cat-S E86

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:34 pm

It's a tough call, not least because insurers these days seem very keen to write cars off.

My nephew had a bump in his 3 Series a few years ago and his insurer classed it as Cat S based just on a few photos he took on his phone! It should have been Cat N as there was no structural damage at all, so he kept it and one new front wing and a bonnet from E-bay later it was back on the road until he replaced it a few months ago!

Anyway back to that E86. I'd want to find out when it became a Cat S - if it was more recently that wouldn't put me off as much as it would if it happened when the car was only a few years old.

And as Pondrew says it needs to be significanlty cheaper than a car that doesn't have a CAT marker, although given the age of E86s now there are probably quite a few that have had body repairs - a front wing and headlight had definitely been replaced on my previous Coupe!

If it bothers you or you don't think it's cheap enough (because it will be an issue when you sell) I'd look for another, but if the price means you can afford an E86 when you otherwise couldn't given what your inspections have revealed then maybe it's the car for you.

Good luck whatever you decide, because E86s are great cars. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

marcop123

Should I buy a Cat-S E86

Post by marcop123 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:42 pm

Yeah that was my first thoughts but I read a bit about the catS and insurance companies and seems if car has had an accident and the quotes are 50% or more of the value of the car it would be favourable or normal they right the car off.
Last edited by marcop123 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy a Cat-S E86

Post by Pondrew » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:00 pm

marcop123 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:42 pm can’t decide to go for it or not
It is always going to be a risk. If you are happy (and have an insurance quote for the specific car) with the info you've been given, then it could be OK (but it could not).
A missing MOT in 2020 could be innocent (lockdowns/ pandemic). Ask why.

In my opinion most insurance write-offs are put back on the road for someone to make money, no other reason. A bare minimum to make it legal is all that is required.

Ask lots of questions; if they all have acceptable answers, then OK. If there are question marks over any, move on, there will always be others :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy a Cat-S E86

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:02 pm

If you are happy to drive a cat car and you have had a favourable report by an experienced tech I'd say go for it, I've never had a cat car but all my track bikes I've rebuilt myself from cat bikes and they all been absolutely fine and thats riding in track conditions and Ive always felt confident in the machinery as Ive seen they are structurally sound..cat cars are not for everyone and as mentioned they're not always easy to sell on but most of the time with the correct checks they can be great buys :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

marcop123

Should I buy a Cat-S E86

Post by marcop123 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:05 pm

The inspection was for 2hrs it also involved 20 mile extended test drive and I had a chat for 20/30 mins he basically saying the car drives well with no issues , the transmission and pull are well. He included 20 photos.
Last edited by marcop123 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy a Cat-S E86

Post by Pondrew » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:16 pm

Then go and drive another one before you commit. Easy, just pretend you are interested in a dealer's car and test drive it. :thumbsup:
I have had a Merc estate, they really couldn't be much different. :)
It sounds to me like you have pretty much made up your mind, just want some re-assurance. That is not something that anyone can give you unfortunately.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Should I buy a Cat-S E86

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:28 pm

Trying one that isn't a Cat car for comparison would be a good idea.

If your budget could get you one that was Cat clear the extra you'd pay you'd probably get back when you came to sell - just depends how comfortable you are with the risk factor, and only you know that!

At the end of the day while they aren't common, they aren't that rare - the UK got over 2,000 3.0Si Coupes.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Flyingfifer

Should I buy a Cat-S E86

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:28 pm Trying one that isn't a Cat car for comparison would be a good idea.
100% this
If you have a solid understanding as to the extent of the damage, what was fixed etc and receipts etc etc and you dont mind the "stigma" of having a ex-write off then go for it. Personally I probably wouldnt take a CAT S as its structural but I wouldnt be so resistant to a CAT N
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Should I buy a Cat-S E86

Post by Zedebee » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:21 pm

If it’s HK07*** being sold by Poshwheels in Nottingham, then a clean non-cat with FSH would go for about £12k (dealer price maybe £12,995). If you can get it for somewhere south of the asking price, there won’t be too much risk for you financially. The N52 engine is very strong and just about everything is fixable. If it’s in nice condition, you could end up with a bargain. For the same price you’d be looking at twice the miles for a non-cat car. Also, if buying from a dealer, you have some protection whether they give you a warranty or not.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe