Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trade Plates, Find Owner Question

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:29 pm

Hello,

I recently found someone’s go pro camera on a walk.

I have searched twitter and instagram for posts about lost gopros, and have had no joy.

The only identifying feature I can see is the family of the lost camera were hiring or driving a BMW on trade plates.

I can see the reflection of it in their windscreen on a video.

Is there any way at all of identifying the owner of a trade plate? I presume whoever the owner is would know who had the car on which date, and I would be able to get the date the video was recorded.

The family don’t appear to be from the UK, as I cannot recognise their language, but most likely it’s Polish or Eastern European.

If I had lost an item, I would tweet it out, but they don’t seem to have done.

I suppose the only way of identification is via the police and they would not be able to help. Does anyone know of any methods?

I would like to get the camera back to them, as it’s full of their holiday photos and they cost about £250.

Thanks all!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:58 pm

It’s good to read about an honest fella with integrity :thumbsup:
A Tweet / Social Media wouldn’t find me either but the Police should be able to trace the plate owner I’m sure.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:19 am

ronk wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:58 pm It’s good to read about an honest fella with integrity :thumbsup:
A Tweet / Social Media wouldn’t find me either but the Police should be able to trace the plate owner I’m sure.
Do you think the police would divulge the information?

I suppose it wouldnt hurt to ask them.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:40 am

The police could locate them without having to tell you their info.

But I would ask whether a family who went on holiday with trade plates would be keen to correspond with the police??
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:46 pm

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:19 am
ronk wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:58 pm It’s good to read about an honest fella with integrity :thumbsup:

I don’t think they would divulge the names or contact details but would inform then that they hold their lost property.
If they don’t collect it then it can be returned to you. I think after six months. I is then your property!

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:40 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:40 am The police could locate them without having to tell you their info.

But I would ask whether a family who went on holiday with trade plates would be keen to correspond with the police??
Yeah, could be a bit dodgy! Haha

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:42 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:46 pm
Deepseaskateboard wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:19 am

I don’t think they would divulge the names or contact details but would inform then that they hold their lost property.
If they don’t collect it then it can be returned to you. I think after six months. I is then your property!
I emailed the police in Sussex, I gave them the plate number and asked them not to give me any details, but to ask the owner if they would pass on some customer contact details. They could agree to send the information to me etc.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:18 pm

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:42 pm I emailed the police in Sussex, I gave them the plate number and asked them not to give me any details, but to ask the owner if they would pass on some customer contact details. They could agree to send the information to me etc.
Kudos for trying but I doubt if the garage will give you customer details - likely to quote GDPR as the reason.

If you're lucky they might agree to pass on your contact details to the (assumed) customer.
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:20 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:18 pm
Deepseaskateboard wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:42 pm I emailed the police in Sussex, I gave them the plate number and asked them not to give me any details, but to ask the owner if they would pass on some customer contact details. They could agree to send the information to me etc.
Kudos for trying but I doubt if the garage will give you customer details - likely to quote GDPR as the reason.

If you're lucky they might agree to pass on your contact details to the (assumed) customer.
I reckon that’s the most likely outcome :thumbsup:

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:53 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:20 pm
PerryGunn wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:18 pm

I reckon that’s the most likely outcome :thumbsup:
Yeah, that would be fine.

I can only do so much! Haha.