Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sony Handycam Memory card format question

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:48 pm

My daughter has an old Sony Handycam HDR CX6. We are looking for an additional memory card for it, it originally utilised the Memory Stick Pro Duo, these seem to be harder to come by and hence very expensive for what they are. Reviews of the Chinese rip off versions of these cards don’t seem to perform well, or work at all, in video shooting, although they seem ok for stills or in a Sony PSP.

After a little bit of research…. I am more confused than when I started :cry:

I know we have some techies on here, so I guess my question is simply will a modern Micro SD card work in this older technology camera (with the appropriate adapter) ?? If not, is there another modern format that will work or are we stuck with the original card technology.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:17 pm

Hi Boris,
Just spotted this on ebay now, looks like unopenes old stock. Might be worth a punt.
Robert.
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:18 pm

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:33 pm

Thanks Robert, unfortunately I missed your reply as I had an unusually busy weekend, hence I missed that auction too. That is exactly the kind of thing I am having to look at for in the absence of being able to establish if there is a modern day card that might actually work.

I’ve been on to the the Sony UK “help desk” who were pretty non helpful. They were clearly just stating the “recommended” card from the user manual which of course was written way before the invention of the Micro SD card etc. It may be the case but it does seem odd that no other card will work with this camcorder?

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:25 pm

I'm hoping to speak to a freelance cameraman about this next time I see him. He's repairing a couple of Betamax machines for us at the moment, so as you can imagine, he's a bit of an anorak and a mine of information for all things video related.

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:15 pm

Nice one, the answer will likely come from a genuine tekkie or a bone fide anorak, sounds like you have the latter lined up :thumbsup:

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:03 pm

I emailed the cameraman and this is what he had to say...
" I'm not very familiar with the Memory Stick series of media, it wasn't really used in professional situations. We use SxS cards in broadcast which have been successful and can take higher data rates.
You're right about another format war- which Sony lost again with this one. It seems Sony have stopped supporting them hence the premium on prices. Knock off versions will probably have write speed limitations compared to the Sony originals, which weren't that fast to begin with which is why Sony adopted SD cards in the end. I'm afraid I don't know of any alternatives or SD card adaptors. "

So it looks like keeping an eye out for old new stock might be your best bet Borris. I use ebay saved search email alerts for these sort of items which only turn up once in a blue moon.
Cheers,
Robert.

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:31 pm

Thanks Robert, at least I know the answer. I will do as you suggest and set up an alert on EBay for original Sony sticks.

I do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to find out the information for me. :thumbsup: