Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Possible insurance scam. Any similar experiences?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Iggy

Post by Iggy » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:07 pm

So earlier today I get a text and email from Admiral saying that my vehicle has been reported as being involved in an accident - "We have been advised of a possible incident involving your car, in which a third party is attempting to make a personal injury claim". At first i thought it was an obvious phishing attempt but looking over at the details, it's legitimately from Admiral, and logging into my account on their site i can see a third-party claim there stating that i hit another vehicle a few weeks ago! :x Now obviously the car's never been involved in any accident during my ownership, and on the alleged date of the "accident" i didn't even get in the car. Unfortunately, Admiral's call centre had already closed when i saw the messages but will be calling them first thing tomorrow and have already sent an email in reply. I can only think that either someone legitimately had an accident but took the number plate down incorrectly, or my plate's been cloned. Pretty shocked to be honest :headbang:

Has anyone had any similar experiences?
zedless

Past
'06 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe - Silbergrau
'06 Z4MC - Silbergrau & Imola Leather

maxman

Post by maxman » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:27 pm

My son had a similar thing happen to him when he was working in Reigate a few years back.He contacted his insurer and explained that had not been involved in any accident.He didn’t hear anymore about it.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:00 am

maxman wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:27 pm My son had a similar thing happen to him when he was working in Reigate a few years back.He contacted his insurer and explained that had not been involved in any accident.He didn’t hear anymore about it.
Thanks maxman. Just spoke to my insurance and it seems it's a case of mistaken identity. i.e. someone took down the reg incorrectly.
Hopefully that's all sorted now...
zedless

Past

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:07 am

Did they put in the same email about that you hadn't reported it?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:33 pm

Bloody careless to take the wrong reg in the first place :headbang:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:36 am

pvr wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:07 am Did they put in the same email about that you hadn't reported it?
Yep, that was mentioned. The tone of the email wasn't really accusatory and over the phone they said that there was doubt about the claim. Especially due to the fact that it was reported a few hundred miles away from where i live.
Ole gits rule wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:33 pm Bloody careless to take the wrong reg in the first place :headbang:
Totally!
zedless

Past

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:52 am

If they noted down the wrong reg, there's not much chance the car was the same as yours anyway.
They probably didn't say too much until you responded, in case it was a fraud attempt.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: