Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Affixing Garden Screening

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:46 am

Hi all,
I'm wanting to hide a concrete slabbed garden wall with some PVC bamboo screening but wandering how best to fix the screening to the wall. The wall belongs to a neighbour so reluctant to go putting wooden battons on it or screwing into it etc. I already have some genuine bamboo screening up which is looking a bit tatty now but this was held up against the wall by tie-ing it up using the neighbours tree and some over hanging bushes but they've removed it all in the past week as the tree had a fungal disease and so the sceenng is struggling to stay up now. I'm also wanting to get some taller screening as its opened it up a little now in that part of the garden and privacy has been lost somewhat.

In terms of fixing the screen against the wall I was thinking something like weather proof Gorilla Tape but unsure if it will be up to the job, is there a better way?

Thanks,

Tim.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:37 pm

This stuff is epic Tim, used for bonding plaster boards to walls, it’s mostly non expanding but you need to hold the batten to the wall for a minute or so after sticking. Stick your battens on with this then screw to the battens. Apply in the dry though.
Attachments
CB937C44-DC52-4E55-A26E-74A7E00B6A7A.jpeg
CB937C44-DC52-4E55-A26E-74A7E00B6A7A.jpeg (41 KiB) Viewed 433 times
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:31 pm

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing this is fairly permanent? Can it be used outdoors ok.

I'm guessing I'm thinking to have something that will do the job but can be easily removed altogether if need be.

Thanks again,

Tim.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:23 pm

Pinkgrip can be used outdoors but it'll be a pig to remove if you ever want/need to - concrete tends to have lots of small holes/pores at the surface so you'll always see where it was.

If I were you, I'd just talk to your neighbour, explain what you want to do and ask if they mind if you screw some battens to your side of the wall - as long as you don't go all the way through when drilling, I can't see why they'd have a problem with it.
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:17 pm

It’s not hard to remove tbh, just run a saw or paint scraper down the back of the batten and it’s off. The residue will scrape off easily too. But as Perry says I can’t see why your neighbour would have a problem if you don’t drill right through… :?
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:21 pm

If you do decide not to drill, this stuff is great; it's weatherproof and is clear (and does what it's name suggests) :thumbsup:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-sti ... 90ml/57252
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciate it :thumbsup:

I might try the Gorilla tape in the first instance, I think more out of curiosity and see if it does the job and how long it lasts if at all. If not then will try something more permanent as mentioned and ask the neighbours if they are ok with me putting a few wooden battens up, I don't see why they would be too fussed but then neighbours will be neighbours, they wouldn't really be wise to it anyways.

It's a boundary wall at the bottom of the garden. The next neighbour along part of their garden also backs onto mine and when I had some work done a few years back the workmen accidently damaged their wooden fence by putting a hole through it with a concrete post :) The neighbour caused a bit of an uproar at the time as was right arsey over it but we replaced the fence panel without question.

Funny how property boundaries/fences and touchy neighbours never seem too mix well.

Tim.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:36 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:04 pm I might try the Gorilla tape in the first instance...
Mods... please can you change Tim's user name to 'Mr. Bodge'...? :thumbsup:

:P
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:18 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:36 pm
TitanTim wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:04 pm I might try the Gorilla tape in the first instance...

Tape….. :P Chewing gum would be better….he’ll learn I guess when he gets a constant bamboo headache…. :evil:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:21 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:36 pm

:rofl: :thumbsup:

Let me know if you need your house rewiring :o

I'm kind of thinking the screening is only 3m x 2m and made of PVC so light weight and whether wooden battens would be a bit overkill. Cue a nice windy day :D

Tim.