Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alternatives to selling cars privately

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:59 pm

exdos wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:18 pm It's been ages since I've been on this forum and my personal circumstances have recently changed and I'm thinking of selling my 2002 S54 M Coupe (37k miles) and 2007 Z4 M Coupe (33.7k miles) because I just won't be able to give them much use in the future.

At the moment, I simply haven't got the time to spend advertising these cars privately and having to see tyre-kickers. Can anyone suggest and/or recommend reputable agents or other alternative sellers such as Munich Legends and Hexagon who would make the process of selling these much loved cars as painless as possible for me? What sort of commission could I expect to pay?

Alternatively, if I were to sell the cars directly to a dealer what sort of mark up would they expect to make?

Thanks to anyone with useful advice to me.
Sorry to hear you're having to sell.
Hope everything is ok.

Are you still in the process of selling these carsor did you get them sold?
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:31 pm

I had a chat with a chap from Motorway today. It was quite enlightening and interesting. Their remit seems to be to reduce the impending monopoly that the company that owns BCA/ WBAC/ Cinch..etc are starting to get in the UK used market and hence dictate price points.
I told him that I had asked my local Ford dealer (as it's a Focus I'm selling) to give me a buy price. This seemed to make sense to me as my car is 18 months old and there are only 2 like mine for sale in the UK!
He said that I won't get nearly as much from the Ford dealer as through them; the reason being that Motorway auction cars to the highest bidder through a network of dealers and garages, so it will sell to a dealer who is in a position (for many reasons) to buy and can sell it on easily and quickly at that specific time. This generally generates a higher selling price. What he said made sense and I'm going to give them a go.
The winning bidder (dealer) then deals with me directly, inspects the car to make sure it is as described, then pays me and takes the car. Motorway then charge the dealer a fee for the privilege.
He did say that it is important to be 100% honest and transparent with the condition/ paperwork of the car, otherwise the dealer that has won will knock the price down upon inspection by quite a bit, or even just walk away and I have wasted everyone's time. That again seems fair enough.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!