Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windows 10 Version 21H1 Update

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:39 am

Hi all,

Just wandering if anyone has done this update "2021-07 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems" which is apparently an optional quality update :?

I tried installing the business edition on my works laptop on Friday as I was being notified updates where available so started the download at 11:15am and at 4:10pm after saying "installing" for hours it then said install failed :roll:

After some Googling it seems the update can take forever and can mess up Windows altogether but unsure if that is a common issue.

I don't think I'll be attempting to install on my home laptop for a while but wandered if it's an important update.

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:04 pm

Can’t help you, I made the change iMac a few years agp - The Apple updates just work and I’ve never seen that Windows Blue screen of Death again!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:35 pm

ronk wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:04 pm Can’t help you, I made the change iMac a few years agp - The Apple updates just work and I’ve never seen that Windows Blue screen of Death again!
Wndows is a pain Ron but don't have much choice where work is concerned.

I nearly went with a Macbook Pro 2 years ago when renewing my home laptop but the latest Dell XPS that was just out at the time and pipped it at the post when going by the reviews but then I'm stuck with Windows so maybe next time :)

Tim.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:36 pm

It's a 'test' install that is optional - and on a critical machine I would wait until the full patch comes out, rather than being an unpaid beta tester.

It's mainly for people who've been waiting for a fix to a specific problem, and don't want to wait another week or two for the full patch to come out. If you're not experiencing any issues, then ignore the optional updates.

Saying that, I've not had any issues on my gaming PC and that's gone through 23 major/minor/optional system updates since January...but I have regular back-ups to fall back on if need be!

None of mine have taken more than a few minutes on a very speedy PC (5800X/3080Ti) and SSD (6000mbps).

BTW, I'm not a Windows or Mac fanatic as I've got multiples of each. Gaming tends to be on the PC though and my creative stuff is on the Mac. Not had any serious issues with either...and the issues I have had were down to out of date/incompatible drivers or crashy apps.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:55 pm

When I was working IT problems at home were sorted by friends and colleagues in that department - now a retired, I have to be more self reliant.

At the level of my knowledge I have have had fewer issues with the iMac.
I think the iMac is more forgiving.

I have to admire :thumbsup: you computer gurus, there inner workings are almost witchcraft!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:17 pm

mmm-five wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:36 pm It's a 'test' install that is optional - and on a critical machine I would wait until the full patch comes out, rather than being an unpaid beta tester.

It's mainly for people who've been waiting for a fix to a specific problem, and don't want to wait another week or two for the full patch to come out. If you're not experiencing any issues, then ignore the optional updates.

Saying that, I've not had any issues on my gaming PC and that's gone through 23 major/minor/optional system updates since January...but I have regular back-ups to fall back on if need be!

None of mine have taken more than a few minutes on a very speedy PC (5800X/3080Ti) and SSD (6000mbps).

BTW, I'm not a Windows or Mac fanatic as I've got multiples of each. Gaming tends to be on the PC though and my creative stuff is on the Mac. Not had any serious issues with either...and the issues I have had were down to out of date/incompatible drivers or crashy apps.
Thanks for the info :thumbsup: that's great.

Sounds like an update I don't need at the moment so will leave well alone. It seems most issues people have been experiencing is when using older hardware and it taking crazy hours to download and install. On my works laptop it downloaded quickly but then failed on install after 4 hours of it trying.

I wouldn't have known it was a test install so glad I asked now :)

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:23 pm

It’s witchcraft!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:40 pm

ronk wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:23 pm It’s witchcraft!
:D

Tim.

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:57 pm

I installed it on two of my x64-based system PCs a few days ago without problem. Updated quite quickly. I am now about to install it on my 2 X64 laptops.
Last edited by BeeEmm on Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:25 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:39 am I don't think I'll be attempting to install on my home laptop for a while but wandered if it's an important update.
Info here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/top ... 392450fb3a
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:05 pm

I have two almost identical i7 desktops..one all updates update successfully..the other every other windows update causes a back out /fail /restart type set of events..same with this release..go figure..

The one that fails does have a lot more application s/w on it..obviously something in there causes issues..

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:38 pm

A really random one that can sometimes trip out Windows 10 updates is having usb devices connected during update, other than mouse/keyboard. It sounds ridiculous but I've experienced it before. Keep everything unplugged unless needed now and updates go through quickly with no issues on my gaming rig
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:05 pm

Thanks for the replies and info :thumbsup:

I might risk it tomorrow now :)

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:13 pm

Is restore to a earlier version available on Windows?
I seem to remember “Restore” being an option?

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:51 pm

Vonlipvig wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:38 pm A really random one that can sometimes trip out Windows 10 updates is having usb devices connected during update, other than mouse/keyboard. It sounds ridiculous but I've experienced it before. Keep everything unplugged unless needed now and updates go through quickly with no issues on my gaming rig
That’s interesting I’ll try that one :thumbsup: