Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Recommendations for for fun roads to drive in Lincolnshire?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:01 am

Im due to stay in the Stamford area next couple of weeks - any decent routes in Lincolnshire that include rural twisty B roads and wide open A roads that local z4 pilots :driving: can recommend? Any suggestions much appreciated.
Last edited by Sky-drive on Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:23 pm

Sky-drive wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:01 am Im due to stay in the Stamford area next couple of weeks - any decent routes in Lincolnshire that include rural twisty B roads and wide open A roads that local z4 residents can recommend? Any suggestions much appreciated.
I'm sure Stuart (Bigwinn) will be along shortly.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:16 pm

Right

Here we go!

What are you looking for? I’ll do some routes for you

Pubs?
Picturesque?

I moved from near Stamford just before lockdown and was born/raised around that end of the county!

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:51 pm

Stamford - Corby Glen - Bourne - Stamford
Would be a nice run out with some nice pubs on the way.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:52 pm

If you go to Little Bytham you can claim you've been where Mallard set the world speed record for a steam train πŸ˜‰
Last edited by Zulu4 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Previous:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:55 pm

Zulu4 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:52 pm If you go to Bitchfield you can claim you've been where Mallard set the world speed record for a steam train.
Cholmoley arms at Burton Coggles is a total winner eh? Best food.

EWS Delete PM me

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:59 pm

bigwinn wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:55 pm
Zulu4 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:52 pm If you go to Bitchfield you can claim you've been where Mallard set the world speed record for a steam train.
Yes, It's lovely there. As is The Griffin at Irnham.
Previous:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:01 pm

Zulu4 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:59 pm
bigwinn wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:55 pm
Yes, It's lovely there. As is The Griffin at Irnham.
Agreed!

EWS Delete PM me

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:14 pm

bigwinn wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:16 pm Right

Here we go!

Pubs?
Picturesque?

I moved from near Stamford just before lockdown and was born/raised around that end of the county!

Stuart
cool thanks for the offer! Picturesque would be ideal - I will be staying near Bourne if that helps?
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:21 pm

Sky-drive wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:14 pm
bigwinn wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:16 pm Right

Here we go!

Pubs?
Picturesque?

Stuart
cool thanks for the offer! Picturesque would be ideal - I will be staying near Bourne if that helps?
Staying in village?

Leave it with me will do you some routes tomorrow

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:56 pm

Sky-drive wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:01 am Im due to stay in the Stamford area next couple of weeks - any decent routes in Lincolnshire that include rural twisty B roads and wide open A roads that local z4 pilots :driving: can recommend? Any suggestions much appreciated.
Here you go buddy

Route 1- start in Colsterworth and take the A676 towards Melton. Very twisty back road with some amazing corners and dips/rises. Watch I think that towards Melton there may be average speed cameras now. When you get to Melton, take the A617 toward Grantham, quicker busier road but well worth a drive.
Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 12.46.29.png
Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 12.46.29.png (480.84 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Route 2- leaving Bourne head towards Witham on the Hill- the Six Bells there does the best pizza in the area. On towards Little Bytham, the railway arch there is cracking. Then follow the road via Stretton, Greetham towards Rutland Water. Drive the circular route and take time to stop at the Horse and Jockey at Manton... highly commended!
Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 12.45.24.png
Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 12.45.24.png (520.5 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Route 3, and in my opinion the best road- start Bourne and head towards Colsterworth on the A151. Corby Glen if you fancy a pint, the Woodman is excellent. Up the hill then turn towards Bitchfield on the B1176- what a lovely road. You can stop at Burton Le Coggles for a meat at the Chomondley Arms OR head on towards Grantham. As you near Grantham toward Old Somerby I would turn towards Ropsley and go see Phil at the Green Man- we STILL travel 30 miles to eat at this pub, tell him Stuart from Center Parcs sent you!!!
Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 12.43.56.png
Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 12.43.56.png (475.58 KiB) Viewed 279 times
There are some great places to go- however if you GO EAST, its flat and straight with dykes at the side of the road.... not my idea of fun.

Enjoy!!!!

Stuart

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:57 pm

bigwinn wrote: ↑Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:56 pm
Sky-drive wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:01 am Im due to stay in the Stamford area next couple of weeks - any decent routes in Lincolnshire that include rural twisty B roads and wide open A roads that local z4 pilots :driving: can recommend? Any suggestions much appreciated.
Here you go buddy

Route 1- start in Colsterworth and take the A676 towards Melton. Very twisty back road with some amazing corners and dips/rises. Watch I think that towards Melton there may be average speed cameras now. When you get to Melton, take the A617 toward Grantham, quicker busier road but well worth a drive.
Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 12.46.29.png

Route 2- leaving Bourne head towards Witham on the Hill- the Six Bells there does the best pizza in the area. On towards Little Bytham, the railway arch there is cracking. Then follow the road via Stretton, Greetham towards Rutland Water. Drive the circular route and take time to stop at the Horse and Jockey at Manton... highly commended!
Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 12.45.24.png

Route 3, and in my opinion the best road- start Bourne and head towards Colsterworth on the A151. Corby Glen if you fancy a pint, the Woodman is excellent. Up the hill then turn towards Bitchfield on the B1176- what a lovely road. You can stop at Burton Le Coggles for a meat at the Chomondley Arms OR head on towards Grantham. As you near Grantham toward Old Somerby I would turn towards Ropsley and go see Phil at the Green Man- we STILL travel 30 miles to eat at this pub, tell him Stuart from Center Parcs sent you!!!
Screenshot 2021-07-20 at 12.43.56.png

There are some great places to go- however if you GO EAST, its flat and straight with dykes at the side of the road.... not my idea of fun.

Enjoy!!!!

Stuart
And clearly- if you get a speeding ticket or similar its not my fault!!!!

:rofl:

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:58 pm

Finally- should have said, if you do get longer, the weather is good and you have time

Belvoir castle and the run towards Stathern/Harby on an evening is beautiful...

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:00 pm

bigwinn wrote: ↑Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:56 pm On towards Little Bytham, the railway arch there is cracking.
Well I wouldn't want to be driving under that then! :poke: :D

Probably a bit further over for you, but I did the run from Lincoln to Skegness a couple of years back in the Zed. That was fun.
When we got there Vall asked what I wanted to do next. "Drive back to Lincoln" :wink:
And to be honest, now I've seen Skegness, that would have been the best option anyway. :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:03 pm

enuff_zed wrote: ↑Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:00 pm
bigwinn wrote: ↑Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:56 pm On towards Little Bytham, the railway arch there is cracking.
Well I wouldn't want to be driving under that then! :poke: :D

Probably a bit further over for you, but I did the run from Lincoln to Skegness a couple of years back in the Zed. That was fun.
When we got there Vall asked what I wanted to do next. "Drive back to Lincoln" :wink:
And to be honest, now I've seen Skegness, that would have been the best option anyway. :rofl:
:lol:

Very good

Make sure you are jabbed and have tetanus if heading toward Skeg Vegas

EWS Delete PM me