Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

British Grand Prix

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
sars
Lifer
Lifer

British Grand Prix

Post by sars » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:40 pm

I can’t see the incident objectively because I think Verstappen is a complete arrogant tw*t, who’s got away with some pretty appalling and overtly aggressive driving to get where he is and it was all deemed acceptable because it was entertaining, which then perpetuated more. For the current season, Hamilton has played it cautiously when racing against him, rather than tussle at the start, he played the long game, which has born fruit in a few races, that was until he was 32 points behind. Now at his home GP, Hamilton pushed back and when you have two drivers determined not to back down it was bound to happen, with Hamilton having the inside, the driver on the outside is always going to come off worse and Verstappen paid the price.

But please blame Hamilton, it doesn’t change the fact that he won and he managed to claw back 25 points :thumbsup:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

rdgreen

British Grand Prix

Post by rdgreen » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:19 am

BeeEmm wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:27 am
rdgreen wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:49 pm F1 hasn't been the same since real men stopped racing,
That sounds like a comment from the 1950's. 'Real men' were portrayed similarly to John's photo above, but with a pipe in hand. You were obviously impressed with Rossi's lucky escape though. Brave riders, but 'real men' c'mon.
Actually they were from the 70's and 80's.....and no they were never portrayed as as per John's photo. "Real men" were those who faced consequences for their actions....like being killed. Now the biggest danger they face is driving to and from the circuit (by their chauffeur), or a paper cut from signing their mega contract. F1 is like watching a street procession. If anyone dares to try and overtake there's a stewards inquiry as to how that could possibly happen in this day and age....and how can we prevent it from happening again?

Don't read this unless you have some smelling salts handy as you might get a touch of the "vapours".

"In 1980 the Williams FW07B and AJ was the combination to beat and, with victories in Argentina, France, Britain, Canada and the USA Alan Jones became World Champion. For the elated team boss his first title-winner became the prototypical Williams driver. "AJ was a man's man," Frank Williams said. "And he was great fun to be with. He never needed propping up mentally, because he was a very determined and bullish character. He didn't need any babysitting or hand-holding and that's the way it should be. It shouldn't be necessary for me to ask a driver if he is happy, or if he needs his underwear changed."

He wore red underpants for good luck but the blunt, burly and brave Aussie won races not by good fortune but by forceful fighting. Patrick Head admired the fact that he was "such a hard, competitive, animal in a racing car," and so he could be out of it. He once finished second in a race despite having to drive with a hand broken in a one-sided brawl with four large adversaries in London. Alain Prost, a rookie in AJ's championship year, called Jones "the most fiery, powerful - even violent - driver."

"As a boy AJ described himself as "an obnoxious little bastard, a big-headed little prick." As an adult the rough edges remained and he was determinedly politically incorrect. Distrustful of foreigners, he called the French "frogs.".
Sterling Grey 2004 e85 3.0i manual.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

British Grand Prix

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:43 am

rdgreen wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:19 am “Real men" were those who faced consequences for their actions....like being killed. Now the biggest danger they face is driving to and from the circuit (by their chauffeur), or a paper cut from signing their mega contract.
I’ve no doubt that Romain Grosjean would agree with your sentiments. As would Billy Monger, Anthony Hubert, Jules Bianchi and Henry Surtees.

I’m hoping that the rule changes for 2022 will remove the safety cell and halo from F1 cars and mandate that trees should be planted in all run off areas. That should sort the men from the boys.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

British Grand Prix

Post by GuidoK » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:06 am

Yeah trees in the run off areas.

Perfect CO2 compensation plan :lol:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

brillomaster

British Grand Prix

Post by brillomaster » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:55 am

BMWZ4MC wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:43 am
rdgreen wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:19 am “Real men" were those who faced consequences for their actions....like being killed. Now the biggest danger they face is driving to and from the circuit (by their chauffeur), or a paper cut from signing their mega contract.
I’ve no doubt that Romain Grosjean would agree with your sentiments. As would Billy Monger, Anthony Hubert, Jules Bianchi and Henry Surtees.

I’m hoping that the rule changes for 2022 will remove the safety cell and halo from F1 cars and mandate that trees should be planted in all run off areas. That should sort the men from the boys.
lets not forget the ladies too... Sophia Florsch comes to mind...

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

British Grand Prix

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:09 am

brillomaster wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:55 am
BMWZ4MC wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:43 am

lets not forget the ladies too... Sophia Florsch comes to mind...

Yes, indeed, María de Villota as well.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

slick

British Grand Prix

Post by slick » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:17 am

sars wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:40 pm I can’t see the incident objectively because I think Verstappen is a complete arrogant tw*t, who’s got away with some pretty appalling and overtly aggressive driving to get where he is and it was all deemed acceptable because it was entertaining, which then perpetuated more. For the current season, Hamilton has played it cautiously when racing against him, rather than tussle at the start, he played the long game, which has born fruit in a few races, that was until he was 32 points behind. Now at his home GP, Hamilton pushed back and when you have two drivers determined not to back down it was bound to happen, with Hamilton having the inside, the driver on the outside is always going to come off worse and Verstappen paid the price.

But please blame Hamilton, it doesn’t change the fact that he won and he managed to claw back 25 points :thumbsup:
+1
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i

Worcester_spoon

British Grand Prix

Post by Worcester_spoon » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:53 am

Not wishing to reopen the 'debate' here, but this did make me laugh...

https://twitter.com/TomKBowman/status/1 ... 5563427840
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

British Grand Prix

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:59 am

Worcester_spoon wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:53 am Not wishing to reopen the 'debate' here, but this did make me laugh...

https://twitter.com/TomKBowman/status/1 ... 5563427840
Brilliant!
Needed a good laugh. :rofl: :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: