Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Trolley Jack deal

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Trolley Jack deal

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:44 am

Just had an email from SGS saying they currently have a 20% sale on trolley jacks, if anyone is looking for one.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Trolley Jack deal

Post by Zedebee » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:56 pm

Thanks for that. Looking for a new one at the moment and SGS look really good.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Trolley Jack deal

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:01 pm

Zedebee wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:56 pm Thanks for that. Looking for a new one at the moment and SGS look really good.
I bought this one about 18 months back and used it a lot since.
Perfect for both the E85 and E89.
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tjl2c-2 ... -with-case

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Trolley Jack deal

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:06 pm

I have the aluminium race jack..good bit of kit :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Trolley Jack deal

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:26 pm

I’ve got there stainless steel tool chest & it’s a great piece of kit :thumbsup:
Rob
Last edited by Smartbear on Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Jakg

Trolley Jack deal

Post by Jakg » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:03 pm

I bought an SGS jack.

It was rubbish, with an inherent design flaw (the handle was attached with a tiny metal clip with no bracing).

It broke, and I was told I could send it back and they might repair it. Or they might not. And they wanted £20 for postage to look at the £40 jack.

I'm far from the only one with this experience.

I junked it and bought one of the Costco ones which is in another league (admittedly 3x the price).
That died after several years so I got a Sealey one which is identical, as Sealey sell all the spares individually for only a couple of pounds.

EDIT - I'm not on their mailing list, and I bought the jack maybe 7 years ago so when I got this email the other day entitled "Time to Replace That Tired Old Trolley Jack" I thought it was some kind of joke from them... as it's their crappy jack that got replaced!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Trolley Jack deal

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:11 pm

Jakg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:03 pm I bought an SGS jack.

It was rubbish, with an inherent design flaw (the handle was attached with a tiny metal clip with no bracing).

It broke, and I was told I could send it back and they might repair it. Or they might not. And they wanted £20 for postage to look at the £40 jack.

I'm far from the only one with this experience.

I junked it and bought one of the Costco ones which is in another league (admittedly 3x the price).
That died after several years so I got a Sealey one which is identical, as Sealey sell all the spares individually for only a couple of pounds.

EDIT - I'm not on their mailing list, and I bought the jack maybe 7 years ago so when I got this email the other day entitled "Time to Replace That Tired Old Trolley Jack" I thought it was some kind of joke from them... as it's their crappy jack that got replaced!
That's fair enough from your experience and you're entitled to make that choice.
All I would point out is that if your Costco one died after several years and you've since replaced it, then that implies your SGS one was bought many years back?
Given that several people on here are using SGS and are happy with them (indeed that is why I bought mine), is it not conceivable that they have changed the design in that intervening period?
Something must have changed or they wouldn't still be as popular as they are.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Trolley Jack deal

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:23 pm

I bought a 2 tonne SGS jack in Feb 2018 for just £38.33 delivered and have been very pleased with it considering what it cost!

But then I only tend to use it twice a year to swap between winters and summers on my daily.

If I was going to be using a jack regularly I would have splashed out on a better one, but for occassional use it's fine.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Trolley Jack deal

Post by firebobby » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:52 pm

I bought a 3.25 tonne Sealy a few years back. Really low bed, so creeps under all my car's with ease.
Make sure you get a good set of axle stands too
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

AndyBeech

Trolley Jack deal

Post by AndyBeech » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:54 pm

Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

Rockhopper

Trolley Jack deal

Post by Rockhopper » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:43 pm

I have an SGS low profile jack. It works fine with no weight on it but get it under the car and it won’t drop unless you unscrew the plug almost all the way which results in it leaving little pools of oil all over the drive. The helpline just sent me the bleed and oil check instructions which I’ve done several times with no improvement. They are now ignoring me. The jack is about six months old and bought directly from them.
I’d return it but I’ve no box and no way of safely packing it up.