Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What is the next move from a Z4C?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:22 pm

Thoughts of a second car have prompted me to idly speculate what would be move on from the Z4C, as overall it is actually a very good car. Granted I could do with a bit more creature comforts, and better lights, but as a package and value for money it is excellent.

Solid 0-60, comfortable cruising with great economy (got 42 mpg on the run up north this weekend), still looks great, road tax is a decent band.

My thoughts, for around £30k are:

AMV8 - a cheap performance car with the sound, looks and prestige, but fairly heavy and a bit more of a tourer, less comfortable (early ones), very, very heavy on fuel and tax and expensive to repair if if did go wrong. Whilst you can do a lot of the work yourself, that really hits the resale. Clutches etc. are consumable.

R8 V8 - A great all-round car, but with some potentials to give you some very big costs if something fails, ability to DIY more limited. Clutches etc. are consumable.

Elise - Great looking and amazing handling, quite rare these days, but with fragile body work and compromised comfort and luggage space. Not as light as they used to be.

Cayman - The early ones just don't seem much of an upgrade really. The larger engines are known to have issues and prices jump after that.

911’s – a solid upgrade, but pricey and probably looking at an older car, taking you back to creature comforts etc.

For me, none of the above warrant the extra £23-22k plus giving up the Z4C, which has been a solid car for me for almost 10 years now. I only intended to keep it for 2 years too!

These are just idle thoughts whilst I am at home supporting the family after a recent death in the family and something to distract.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Dark Diggler

Post by Dark Diggler » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:43 pm

M6, ballistic and 30k
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 7ew&page=2

If running costs are an issue how about an M2, cheaper tax than our Z4C !
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 000&page=1

Will they make you smile like your z4 though

M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:56 pm

It depends how you define upgrade and whether a distinct step up or just a change is important to you. As a similar proposition, I'd look at a Cayman - there's enough choice of engines and trims to make it an upgrade in my opinion. I think that eventually I will own a 911, but it is a different car. If the price was unimportant (or at least not very important) then I might consider changing my coupe for a new Supra. If you are seriously considering it then I suggest you go and try a Cayman S or Cayman GTS of whatever generation you prefer or is in your price range. Probably not currently, though, as prices of used cars are bordering on absurd. Repair bills would deter me from an Aston or the Audi, unless it's a very occasional car.

Sorry about your current circumstances, by the way.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:05 pm

Easy, just get a 320D - it's all the car you'll ever need :wink:

It depends what you want out of an 'upgrade'!
  • Faster?
  • More efficient?
  • Newer?
  • More comfortable?
If it's about wanting the same but turned up to 11, then the obvious choice is the Z4MC :P

But I keep looking at M2s, M5s and Toyota Supras.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:09 pm

change up the norm from what you already have.

I switched my Z4 for a porsche boxster for three reasons...
1. i've never owned a porsche
2. i've never owned anything mid engined
3. i've never owned a flat 6 engine.

if you were to change, i'd be looking for something new - either a new engine configuration, a new marque or a new chassis configuration. flat 6 porsches are really quite excellent, and different. same with a lotus, maybe an evora would fit the bill? equally, something with a v8 if you havent already had one... though they by definition will be a bigger, more GT oriented car. unless you get a TVR.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:14 pm

Lexus RCF?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:26 pm

Interesting, it's more just to distract from the current situation of family crisis.

Yes, I guess it does consider what an upgrade is? Partially I think it is also commentary on how good the Z4 is as a package.

After research Aston / Audi can give you a staggering bill, and a 5 figure repair bill is just too much.

M2 looks interesting though and is a mite more practical. I'd have to say it's nowhere near as good looking as the Z4C. It is a bit "Asbo"??

I do like the M4 though.

Supra - I would if I could, I think they are still in the £40-50k bracket though.

On the Lotus front, I actually didn't mind the Evora and did almost get one, buy the early V6 just didn't have it for me. I had 3 Elises which were great.

V8 - I've a fairly modified TVR Griffith sat behind the Z4C.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:49 pm

F-Type?
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:36 pm

Get yourself a car that will do everything.

c63 w204 Saloon with a performance pack.

Remove resonator and install xpipe and remap for 530bhp.

Spend another 300 quid and fit apple car play.

If you ever get bored- spend 10k and supercharge for 700 plus bhp (I don't know how you will ever get bored).

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:49 pm

I think saloons are not really my thing, or at least not Merc's although I do see the appeal of one car that does it all.

But the F-Type V6 is looking affordable and considerably newer than a 06 Aston or Audi.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:40 pm

If it's a car for just a few years then make it some thing a bit special. So agree no saloon will do and probably neither will an ///MC, special but too similar to your Z4C. A second car, is it for trips away? If so the Jag has no boot space. If you can find one for the budget then the R8 would be the one for me. :driving: :thumbsup:

mgrlane

Post by mgrlane » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:44 pm

They do look rather sexy the F-Type.

My worry is that they wouldn't be a step up performance wise over the Coupe. Great car to look good in- where are they in terms of their financial life cycle- would you take a hit keeping one for 2-3 years? (If that matters to you).

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:55 pm

mgrlane wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:44 pm They do look rather sexy the F-Type.

My worry is that they wouldn't be a step up performance wise over the Coupe. Great car to look good in- where are they in terms of their financial life cycle- would you take a hit keeping one for 2-3 years? (If that matters to you).
Very true, they are mid-depreciation really, although whether that matters or not? Who knows with the world's hatred of petrol.

Performance wise yes, they are a step less than a R8, by a fair bit and the auto's are less than the Z4C. Who knew! I thought they would be faster with 350bhp!

A mate who has an early Aston said "not as quick off the lines as a TVR and probably not as refined as the Z4."

But these days, how fast can you realistically go.

I think the "no saloon" things is more in my head, but I do like a good 2 seater car...

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:15 pm

I wouldn't discount the Maserati Granturismo S - i think these are a bit of a bargain at the moment.

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:59 pm

Mister T wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:15 pm I wouldn't discount the Maserati Granturismo S - i think these are a bit of a bargain at the moment.
Blimey they are cheap! £20k for a FSH 60k car!!