Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What is the next move from a Z4C?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:02 pm

Wildfire wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:59 pm
Mister T wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:15 pm I wouldn't discount the Maserati Granturismo S - i think these are a bit of a bargain at the moment.
Blimey they are cheap! £20k for a FSH 60k car!!
Monster bills with those things if anything goes pop :|

F-Type for me :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:35 pm

I can't really help as I replaced my first Coupe with another then replaced that with an MC! I think I have become addicted to them. :lol:

Just a thought but maybe an E92 M3 Coupe would feel different enough.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Mos6689

Post by Mos6689 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:37 pm

I did this 2 years ago but obviously different reasons. There’s only really one realistic upgrade in my eyes and that’s the 981.

I went to a 981 GTS & it’s an incredible car! Sound, driving position, steering feel, comforts & gizmos! Problem with a car like that is firstly you have to spend top dollar and get a very good spec, otherwise when you come to sell, you’ll only be selling to dealers who will only give you trade price and you’ll be looking at losing ballpark £10k on what you paid for it. Secondly, depending on your situation, I found myself checking prices once a month so I didn’t lose too much on what I paid. I set a bracket of £10k, that’s what I was willing to lose before I moved it on. Mileage on these is usually very sensitive as well. So you’ll need a second car as your daily. When you spend £35k+ depreciation is too much to ignore. Finally I found myself so being so protective of it! Parking in the furthest corner of supermarket car parks because of idiots slamming doors against adjacent parked cars etc. Not wanting to go into the town centre with it because of the same reason. Etc etc. Think this applies to most cars you’ll spend that kind of money on.

Another factor is the attention these type of cars get. Depends if you want it or not. It’s nice people admiring your car but when it’s constant, I don’t like it. People stopping walking around it, touching it, posing for pictures with it etc etc. All it takes is one jealous/drunk t**t to key it or do something else and repair bill won’t be a few quid. Not to mention most people buying these cars will spot a bodywork repair and then be asking questions about why it was done.

I eventually got rid of the 981 while the market was buoyant and I recouped nearly all the money I spent buying it and on the mods. Porsche market 2 months down the line is on fire! If I held out I could’ve got an extra £4-5k.

I moved back to the Z4 but decided on an M this time around. I’d never owned a car as long as I did my Z4C without getting bored of it. As you’ve said it’s just such a great package. Love the shape even though it’s nearly 20 years old. Most importantly it’s done depreciating, in my eyes anyway, as numbers dwindle. Also doesn’t attract no where near as much attention as it’s as old as it is. Only attention it’ll attract is from fellow enthusiasts.

I wasn’t 100% on it when I first started looking because the engine was only .2 of a litre larger & it was the same car for a lot more money. Then I drove it. :fuelfire: I’d read people saying over and over it’s a completely different animal but thought this was exaggerated. It isn’t! That engine is a masterpiece! Needs some preventive maintenance if it hasn’t been done already (mainly a Vanos overhaul, upgraded engine mount bolts & conrod bearings every 80k miles or so) but it’s the first car I’ve owned where I can honestly say I’ll keep this for the next 5-10 years minimum!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:29 pm

Actually my experience was pretty much the same as what Mos6689 describes, but without the Porsche diversion!

I had my first Coupe for 2 years but fell out of love a bit after an £800 bill for a new water pump - my Indy bought the new one from BMW for £500. :o

So when someone on here was looking for one I suggested mine might be for sale and he came to view it. I took it out for a drive the next day then he phoned me the next evening to put a deposit on it! As he had come a long way to see it I couldn't bring myself to change my mind as I would have been gutted if that had happened to me,

So a couple of days later I put a deposit on my next one.

Then a few years later there was an MC advertised that was just about in budget so I went to look at that. As it was on SORN I only drove it a couple of miles and while I was trying to make my mind up it sold. :roll:

Anyway a couple of months later another forum member was interested in an MC that was being sold by a dealer a mile from my house, but over 150 miles from his. So I agreed to have a look at the car, especially the service history. The dealer started it up and said he'd see me in a while, and after 10 miles or so I knew I definitely wanted one. :)

Then a few months later I found the one I bought, and haven't looked back.

But the Z4C is such a great car I would still have mine if I hadn't found an MC. Even at current prices they still look like a bargain for what you get.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:20 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:29 pm Actually my experience was pretty much the same as what Mos6689 describes, but without the Porsche diversion!

I had my first Coupe for 2 years but fell out of love a bit after an £800 bill for a new water pump - my Indy bought the new one from BMW for £500. :o

So when someone on here was looking for one I suggested mine might be for sale and he came to view it. I took it out for a drive the next day then he phoned me the next evening to put a deposit on it! As he had come a long way to see it I couldn't bring myself to change my mind as I would have been gutted if that had happened to me,

So a couple of days later I put a deposit on my next one.

Then a few years later there was an MC advertised that was just about in budget so I went to look at that. As it was on SORN I only drove it a couple of miles and while I was trying to make my mind up it sold. :roll:

Anyway a couple of months later another forum member was interested in an MC that was being sold by a dealer a mile from my house, but over 150 miles from his. So I agreed to have a look at the car, especially the service history. The dealer started it up and said he'd see me in a while, and after 10 miles or so I knew I definitely wanted one. :)

Then a few months later I found the one I bought, and haven't looked back.

But the Z4C is such a great car I would still have mine if I hadn't found an MC. Even at current prices they still look like a bargain for what you get.
Interesting, I would love a Z4MC.

I’ve done most of the work on my Z4C and so far the list has been: new AC systems, starter, water pump, thermostat, wishbones, brakes, and servicing etc.

The last time my mechanic mate drove the car he remarked how well the car drove.

I drove a mate’s Z4 2.0 with less miles and 2 years younger and it was a rattly car!
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:40 am

Really interesting thread as I'm in a similar situation and looking for something else. Some good suggestions that I hadn't thought about, but unfortunately Euro vehicles are so much more expensive here, it puts the likes of the F-Type a bit out of my reach (e.g. a 2014 F-Type convertible with 18,000Km is around 40,000GBP).
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:35 pm

Toyota GT86….?

A Cayman is a big upgrade in terms of handling.

Sorry to hear of your current circumstance too, best wishes. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:02 pm

E46 M3.
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

Wildfire

Post by Wildfire » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:45 am

john-e89 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:35 pm Toyota GT86….?

Thanks John, much appreciated.

I tried a GT86 and it was a big let down really. Not as fast, the handling was a little better, interior was more up to date, but lower fuel economy and higher road tax.

I am liking the idea of the F-type, pity out of all of them it's <1% that are manual.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:04 pm

Wildfire wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:45 am
john-e89 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:35 pm Toyota GT86….?

Thanks John, much appreciated.

I tried a GT86 and it was a big let down really. Not as fast, the handling was a little better, interior was more up to date, but lower fuel economy and higher road tax.

I am liking the idea of the F-type, pity out of all of them it's <1% that are manual.
Just get a 5.0 Mustang then :D