Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Code junkies

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Code junkies

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:35 pm

I may be in a minority of one here, but that's never stopped me before.
I read many threads on here where it seems people have uncovered obscure codes and are worried about their cars, even though they can not physically tell anything is wrong.
Now I understand the concept of preventative maintenance and how much it could potentially save you, but I'm sure there are people out there who just plug the code reader in once a week and then spend sleepless nights agonizing over a code they find.
Does this do any good?
Are these people wise, clever or just paranoid?
I have a code reader. When there is an issue I plug it in, go to that part of the menu where the fault lies and find out what the problem is.
I zealously avoid all the other menus, just in case I find a code I didn't know I had!
Am I alone in this approach?
Does anyone else work on the 'if it ain't broke' theory. (OK, more accurately the 'if you don't know it's about to break' theory.)
I agonise over the MOT every year and what they may find. Why would I put myself through the same OBD-induced hell on a weekly basis?

Just a thought................. :?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Code junkies

Post by mmm-five » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:42 pm

I only use a code reader when I have a problem.

Don’t forget some codes are ’pending’ where the car thinks there may be a problem and stores it until it checks again…and then either clears it or makes it permanent (until it is cleared manually).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Pbondar

Code junkies

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:45 am

I don't habitually check for fault codes..but if I have to open up the box of tricks I do read all the codes and try and re-set them..

As said there are transient / one off triggers and when cleared they go away when re-checked.

I often get a blower related fault which clears but then comes back after a period of inactivity...I live with that.

However things do go wrong, for example my air pollution sensor has gone off line--despite many attempts never to be seen again..so a new sensor has arrived..