Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sat Nav Update

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav Update

Post by ronk » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:41 pm

I’ve just had the 335 into the dealer for a Sat Nav Update - they told me that the system would not accept the digital key so were unable to install the maps.

They say that new software is being released in the next couple of weeks - has anyone any experiences like this ?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Sät Nav Update

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:06 am

Hi Ron,

I didn't realise the dealers still did map updates? as I thought now they were done over the air through the Connected Drive service or by downloading the updates via USB if you're still subscribed to it.

On my 140i the map updates were free for the first 3 years and done remotely when updates were available. My connected drive subscription ran out after 3 years and I was going to renew it this year with the Connected Package Professional which includes map updates but checking the Connected Servces website recently it's now saying over the air map updates are not available now, only via USB download so I've held off renewing now. Also hearing about 3G services ending next year for connected drive its not clear what will happen if your iDrive and cellular connection if not supporting the required 4G will work. Unsure if mine has 4G connectivity being a 2016 model, I think it might be 3G connectivity which I need to check.

Apologies, just reading your post again, do you mean software updates for the Sat Nav itself or the map updates?

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sät Nav Update

Post by ronk » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:26 am

They said that they would update the maps but had problems. They then wanted the car in for a day to install new sat nav software to allow the installation of the latest maps.

I collected the car last night and I am unsure what software I have but the maps remain 2015 - apparently the system would not accept thd key. I have had to make a lot of the user settings again. Ie Sound and Time display Settings.

BMW are releasing an Update they tell me and they will want the car for yet another day!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Sät Nav Update

Post by mmm-five » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:40 pm

Is it a F30 335 with the NBT iDrive, or the later ID5/ID6 iDrive?

There is a post on F30.post (Bimmerforums) where you can ask for an 'FSC code' (which is linked to your VIN) to allow you to download the maps (Europe Next West 2021-1 in my case) yourself to a USB stick.

I've paid for mine for ConnectedDrive for the year (2015 320D), but am still waiting for them to offer me the 2021-2 map update (nothing showing on BMW Download Manager app or in the car).

Windows: https://rsu.bmw.de/dlm/release/BMWDownl ... ffline.exe
Mac: https://rsu.bmw.de/dlm/release/BMWDownl ... ffline.dmg
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav Update

Post by ronk » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:33 pm

I honesty don’t know which i drive it is - the car is a 335xd we bought in June 2015 - How do I determine which model I have ?

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav Update

Post by mmm-five » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:37 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:33 pm I honesty don’t know which i drive it is - the car is a 335xd we bought in June 2015 - How do I determine which model I have ?
That date is on the cusp of two versions, but this may help...

I'm guessing you'll have the NBT/NBT Evo version like me - which means you don't have easy access to Apple CarPlay or Android Auto either :x
Trigger’s Z4MC

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav Update

Post by ronk » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:43 pm

Thanks- I’m going out to have a look!
There are a few items that might have alternatives- mid 2015 was when the model changed. Trust me to buy at that time - I suppose they weren’t going to tell me?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav Update

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:16 am

I don't know what it is with BMW, they seem to make things harder in life than it should be most likely to get you to pay silly prices for something like Apple Car Play/Android that should be standard fare these days, I'm guessing its still ££££s to spec it.

Not really sure I really want to fork out £160 for the connected package prefessional if its not going to function correctly or map updates are wanting.

My Hyundai, its brilliant, all free for 5 years and phone connectivity is spot on if wanting to use Waze etc

Tim.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav Update

Post by mmm-five » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:13 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:16 am I don't know what it is with BMW, they seem to make things harder in life than it should be most likely to get you to pay silly prices for something like Apple Car Play/Android that should be standard fare these days, I'm guessing its still ££££s to spec it.

Not really sure I really want to fork out £160 for the connected package prefessional if its not going to function correctly or map updates are wanting.

My Hyundai, its brilliant, all free for 5 years and phone connectivity is spot on if wanting to use Waze etc

Tim.
I just paid for the basic package to get the Real Time Traffic Information and map updates.

I did look at the other options available, but everything seemed to come with an asterisk which said they wouldn't be available on my car...so why offer the package :x

I'm still using my TomTom (soon to be replaced by a Garmin), as I don't find the BMW system very good in warning/re-routing around traffic and I can't load any speed-camera alerts...oh, and it pissed me off that I can't create my own multi-point routes for a day of driving - so everything other than the actual sat-nav part is worse in the BMW system than in a £100 TomTom/Garmin.
Trigger’s Z4MC

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sat Nav Update

Post by ronk » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:45 pm

If I didn’t have sat nav in the cars I think I would use WAZE - I had to use it in a friends car recently and it seemed ok.

The downside is when there’s no phone signal ie out in the countryside!