Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

That football match

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

That football match

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:05 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:26 pm
Flyingfifer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:19 pm
N4LLY wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:17 pm I predict England win 16 - 0 :wink:
Smidgen off :poke:

It always entertains me how every. single. time. there is any national level championship its basically in the bag for england before the ball is even kicked. Its the undeserved arrogance of it that makes me an ABE kinda guy :thumbsup:
To be honest, the national level championships in England usually are in the bag for England.
TBH even that's not a foregone conclusion. It's been a 0-0 draw for the past few years :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

That football match

Post by Nanu » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:58 pm

Never thought they would win - not with GS in charge, far to cautious his first thought is don't lose and his second is safety first.

Need to be a bit more expansive to win tourneys like the Euros - could have a decent side but need a different manager
[/quote]

This is probably the best crop of young talented players since Beckham & Co, just as you say, tragic we have Southgate as manager. His tactics remind me of Strictly Come Dancing, Back, Back, Sideways, back, back.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

That football match

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:46 pm

Nanu wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:58 pm His tactics remind me of Strictly Come Dancing, Back, Back, Sideways, back, back.
TBH that criticism has been levelled at many an England manager over the years. It seems to me that as long as we don't lose it's OK. Sooner or later, though, you have to win. I can't believe Southgate is relying on penalty shoot-outs to win a major competition with his record. :o
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

BeeEmm

That football match

Post by BeeEmm » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:32 pm

After tonight's results (Monday), England and the Czech Republic are already through to the last sixteen. Up to Scotland now to try and show the same passion in their final game as they did on Friday against England. Did I just say final game? :(
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

That football match

Post by ronk » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:12 pm

They are a man down now with a positive covid test and England with two down because they’ve been in close contact with him!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

BeeEmm

That football match

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 am

ronk wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:12 pm They are a man down now with a positive covid test and England with two down because they’ve been in close contact with him!
Footballers love to hug, even after a game. England could afford to be 11 men down as they have already qualified.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

brillomaster

That football match

Post by brillomaster » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:16 pm

couldnt England be knocked out by Croatia or Scotland if england lose tonight, and then either Croatia or Scotland give the other team a thorough (ie 5-0) thrashing?

we're really in a pickle here as Croatia or Scotland know they need to win, and score loads of goals. whereas England are through as long as we don't lose. So Czech Rep put 1 past us, and Croatia put 2 past Scotland, and suddenly we're kicked out on goal difference?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

That football match

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:29 pm

brillomaster wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:16 pm couldnt England be knocked out by Croatia or Scotland if england lose tonight, and then either Croatia or Scotland give the other team a thorough (ie 5-0) thrashing?

we're really in a pickle here as Croatia or Scotland know they need to win, and score loads of goals. whereas England are through as long as we don't lose. So Czech Rep put 1 past us, and Croatia put 2 past Scotland, and suddenly we're kicked out on goal difference?
After last nights results, Czech and England are guaranteed a third place qualification regardless.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

brillomaster

That football match

Post by brillomaster » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:52 pm

ah ok.... didnt realise that some third place finishes get through.

to be honest not expecting fireworks from tonights game, but i'll give it a watch, because im english and it feels like the right thing to do.

but then again.... roads will be awful quiet... and the boxster hasnt been out for a run in a while...

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

That football match

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:52 pm

brillomaster wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:52 pm ah ok.... didnt realise that some third place finishes get through.

to be honest not expecting fireworks from tonights game, but i'll give it a watch, because im english and it feels like the right thing to do.

but then again.... roads will be awful quiet... and the boxster hasnt been out for a run in a while...
Ah well, if it's a boxster.......................better watch the footie. :poke: :D :D :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

That football match

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:45 pm

I watched "that match" - what a snoozefest. :roll:

Luckily I didn't mind who won, as my Mum was English but my Dad was a Scot!

Sadly tonight's England match wasn't much better, but at least we scored a goal. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

That football match

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:02 pm

Another utterly mediocre performance by England. OK we won but it was not entertaining in the slightest. I remember the days when professional football was entertaining. :( It's a sorry state of affairs when Pickford is the most creative England player with the most of the ball.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Stevo1987

That football match

Post by Stevo1987 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:19 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:02 pm Another utterly mediocre performance by England. OK we won but it was not entertaining in the slightest. I remember the days when professional football was entertaining. :( It's a sorry state of affairs when Pickford is the most creative England player with the most of the ball.
You must have a f... long memory then.
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

Stevo1987

That football match

Post by Stevo1987 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:22 pm

Working for a company that used to have "Scotland" in its name tomorrow will be fun at work. Sorry, colleagues you got a draw and thought you had won the World Cup or something!
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

rdgreen

That football match

Post by rdgreen » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:25 pm

As an impartial bystander I have a question. When the English Premier league has the best players in the world, that the locals can hone their skills on, why has England consistently underperformed on the big stage, and has done since 1966?
Sterling Grey 2004 e85 3.0i manual.