Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ebay account got hacked

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

ebay account got hacked

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:53 pm

Thought I had a pretty secure password so not sure how they got in :x

Looks like they listed a load of cars, those ones you see that are always too cheap.

Thankfully they didn't manage to buy stuff and pay on my PayPal account which happened once many years ago.. Scumbags :thumbsdown:
Attachments
Screenshot_20210612-194841.jpg
Screenshot_20210612-194841.jpg (112.48 KiB) Viewed 383 times
Last edited by mr.tourette on Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Mister T

my ebay account got hacked

Post by Mister T » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:21 am

If you reuse the same password it has probably been obtained from one of the many recent data breaches.

There's a website - www.haveibeenpwned.com - which will tell you which of your accounts has been compromised.

maxman

Post by maxman » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:19 pm

We all are so dependent on buying on line ,this is the type of event we dread.How did you pick it up Steve ?.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:09 pm

maxman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:19 pm We all are so dependent on buying on line ,this is the type of event we dread.How did you pick it up Steve ?.
To be fair ebay were on it before me, must have happened overnight as i'd used it the evening before and ebay dropped me an unauthorised access email at 6.44 am. Was a bit of a faff trying to get back into my account but got there after 15/20 minutes, was still a load of draft sales of other cars in there too. I've now switched to the 2 stage log in so hopefully shouldn't happen again
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

danmiddle2

ebay account got hacked

Post by danmiddle2 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:11 pm

eBay, like many others websites, offer 2-factor authentication (or 2 step verification). This sends an SMS message to your phone out-of-band, or uses something like Google authenticator to give you a 2nd one-time-code to augment the authentication. You should use this on all sites that offer it, and that way if your password is compromised, the bad person still can't login as you.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

ebay account got hacked

Post by Jembo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:46 pm

danmiddle2 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:11 pm eBay, like many others websites, offer 2-factor authentication (or 2 step verification). This sends an SMS message to your phone out-of-band, or uses something like Google authenticator to give you a 2nd one-time-code to augment the authentication. You should use this on all sites that offer it, and that way if your password is compromised, the bad person still can't login as you.
:thumbsup: This is the absolute minimum anyone should be doing

Some firms are now doing what I suggested years ago of you choosing the secondary authentication method of token Authenticator of your choice, so you & you alone know it

Good old AI… that’s what probably saved your bacon
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54