Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stolen M140is

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Stolen M140is

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:21 am

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:18 pm
andy.c wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:10 pm I don't think anyone in their right mind would tell their insurance or the old bill they willingly gave their keys over, with amount off knife crime in London nowadays would be far better off saying you had a knife put to you. And I certainly wouldn't let some manbag scummer anywhere near my motors
So if you were selling your car and the person who turned up who seemed genuine was wearing some kind of apparel you didn't like, you would tell them to jog on? I doubt that very much.
I have thought this myself, it doesnt matter what someone looks like if they are giving you a stash of cash.
I sold a sports bike years ago and when the guy turned up to take it away he had waterproof gear for touring and a flip style helmet, not what you would really wear on a sports bike in sunny weather, but he handed over what I was looking for and off he went on his merry way.
Stories like this though are good as they make you think about the possibilities of this happening.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Stolen M140is

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:31 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:59 pm That may be why adverts often say nobody can drive the car without proof of comprehensive insurance in place.
I dont think someone showing proof of insurance is a guarantee that they wont steal your car.
Its not like you will take a copy of their insurance policy and then try to claim on it.

Rucky

Stolen M140is

Post by Rucky » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:32 am

Adrian Flux had a clause for everything, did me on a motorbike policy 40 years ago when it was Mr Flux himself!!
A good insurer does exactly what it says - insures you.
If a thief robs you he robs you.
Police and ANPR are very good - have faith
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

1536Z4

Stolen M140is

Post by 1536Z4 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:01 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:51 pm Especially if they had a manbag, and if I still lived in Sutton.
A man bag in Sutton !!! That`s my old neck of the woods and my mates would have ripped the s**t out of me if I had a man bag . Couldn`t have been a local .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

andy.c

Stolen M140is

Post by andy.c » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:26 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:18 pm
andy.c wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:10 pm I don't think anyone in their right mind would tell their insurance or the old bill they willingly gave their keys over, with amount off knife crime in London nowadays would be far better off saying you had a knife put to you. And I certainly wouldn't let some manbag scummer anywhere near my motors
So if you were selling your car and the person who turned up who seemed genuine was wearing some kind of apparel you didn't like, you would tell them to jog on? I doubt that very much.
I grew up in a hood in London and can spot a hood rat at 100 paces, no hoodrat is coming to buy a motor like that unless they're the local coke dealer and then they generally don't dress like a hood rats and certainly aren't stupid enough to chore a motor off someone's driveway like that.
The fella must have been a bit soft in the head to just hand over his car keys like that

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Stolen M140is

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:58 pm

To be fair the original story isn't clear what happened.

Sounds to me they were both in the car, thief in the driver's seat and the owner handed the key over but the thief then wanted to move the car off the drive and I'm reading it that the owner might have been concerned as the drive was steep or something so wanted to move the car off the drive himself so got out the car to swap seat to move the car and of course the thief then just drove off. Split second lapse and could happen to anyone really.

But yes handing the key over and getting back out the car was an error. Will be interesting how the insurer handles it as technically the key was freely handed over, but is there any difference to leaving the car running on the drive in winter to defrost and unattended?

I guess asking for identification i.e. passport or driver's licence or and proof off address might have made a difference.

Tim.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Stolen M140is

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:33 pm I have had this conversation with several people, re: insurance. This is "exceptional circumstances", the chap was selling his car. What was he supposed to do? Say to the prospective purchaser "you can come and look at the car but you can't get in it, start it, get within 6 feet of the keys". It's just not viable when selling a car, or you will never sell it.

If this chap is £25,000 out of pocket (which could ruin a lot of people) because a thief nicked his car, then there is something seriously wrong with the world.
While I agree with this in general, the only way this should happen is if I have my butt in the passenger seat, then the guy gets the keys and is allowed to move the car.

As soon as I get out the keys come with me.

Feel for the guy and I hope the insurance pays out as technically he did not leave his keys in the car.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Stolen M140is

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:06 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:58 pm To be fair the original story isn't clear what happened.

Sounds to me they were both in the car, thief in the driver's seat and the owner handed the key over but the thief then wanted to move the car off the drive and I'm reading it that the owner might have been concerned as the drive was steep or something so wanted to move the car off the drive himself so got out the car to swap seat to move the car and of course the thief then just drove off. Split second lapse and could happen to anyone really.

But yes handing the key over and getting back out the car was an error. Will be interesting how the insurer handles it as technically the key was freely handed over, but is there any difference to leaving the car running on the drive in winter to defrost and unattended?

I guess asking for identification i.e. passport or driver's licence or and proof off address might have made a difference.

Tim.
I think you’d be on thin ice leaving an unattended car on the driveway to defrost, the only thing that could make it worse is a giant sign saying PLEASE NICK ME! :roll:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Stolen M140is

Post by TitanTim » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:16 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:06 pm
TitanTim wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:58 pm To be fair the original story isn't clear what happened.

Tim.
I think you’d be on thin ice leaving an unattended car on the driveway to defrost, the only thing that could make it worse is a giant sign saying PLEASE NICK ME! :roll:
Rob
Agree Rob, think you would be lucky to steer a successful insurance claim leaving the car unattended on the drive.

This is interesting,

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/ ... -deception

In this case its similar to the second story of giving the keys away and not taking enough care to prevent theft :cry:

Tim.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Stolen M140is

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:15 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:21 am Stories like this though are good as they make you think about the possibilities of this happening.
Or potentially scare everybody into not trusting anyone ever again, especially when it comes to selling cars. Playing into dealers' hands even more :o .
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Stolen M140is

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:51 pm

Tim.
Rob
Im sure its also illegal as you are leaving a running car unattended

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Stolen M140is

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:10 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:51 pm

Tim.
Rob
Illegal on a public road but on your own property surely it’s a different matter?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Stolen M140is

Post by Nictrix » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:14 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:10 pm
Nictrix wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:51 pm
Smartbear wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:06 pm I think you’d be on thin ice leaving an unattended car on the driveway to defrost, the only thing that could make it worse is a giant sign saying PLEASE NICK ME! :roll:
Rob
Illegal on a public road but on your own property surely it’s a different matter?
Rob
Probably right :thumbsup: